what's a cheap guitar with a useable floating trem?

JMS 2

• Members

It looks like good trems only come in good and expensive guitars.

But maybe you know different.

I'd need something with a decently working trem that bends up and down while staying in tune. It doesn't need to be a good guitar regarding other aspects ...

Ideas ?

• Members

I'd need something with a decently working trem that bends up and down while staying in tune. It doesn't need to be a good guitar regarding other aspects ...

Ideas ?

Squier Showmaster :idea:

• Members

Ideas ?

I have three with the license Floyd Rose Locking Trem and Love them all. Ibanez makes a great Locking trem.

I also have two with fulcrum trems (Strat with six point screws and a Wilkenson two point trem) they both suck - go Locking or expect to go out of tune. the onyl way to get a non-locking trem to work is to not use it much at all.

• Members

I ordered one of these, but I haven't got it yet. Hopefully, the trem kicks ass. I know the 6 point trem on my Fullerton ST-6 is very nice, so I'm judging these very inexpensive Fullerton guitars by that experience.

http://www.music123.com/Fullerton-ST4-double-single-single--hum----Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-i291060.music

I should re-phrase that, hopefully the tremolo is okay. I've heard some horror stories about cheap licensed Floyds, and I hope that mine isn't another one. Also hopefully, the trem spacing is such that I can upgrade to a real Floyd later on if I want to.:cool:

• Members

$309 and a good one will stay in tune for a long time

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=051

And you can also lock down the trem for hardtail action too.

I own both a USA GM4S with the S-trem ($1150), and one of these $309 babies with the R-trem. They both stay in tune really well even on wild dive-bombs. Though if you want to use the lock/unlock feature of the bridge to make it trem/non-trem, the R-trem is a bit hard to use on the fly, the S-trem has a very well placed lever that you just flick.

• Members

I'm not fond of any of the licensed Floyds that I've used other than the Ibanez Edge (on their older MIJ models). The RG520 is a model that often goes under the radar. It's MIJ, Edge-equipped, and has the same body shape as the RG550/560/570, but with two humbuckers.

• Members

The new Edge Pro is Rock Solid. But as far as Floating? I been looking for a HSH or HH with Coil-Taps and a Trem. I'm gonna buy a RG-Prestige cause its right and the LASTOne Sam Ash owns in the USA from 06. So I'm getting a KILLER deal. But I played a LOT of HH Trem axe's. High to Low end and IF you don't want to fool with Double-Locking Trems? The best bang for buck with GOOD Trem I played was the PRS SE-CUSTOM. The pick-Ups were not BAD. But they weren't PRS-US quality or Ibanz-DiMarzio quaity either. And its a straight up HH with a Veneer Top. But a great smooth player. A nice base to add good electronics and a set of locking tuners. You would have a Stage ready killer sounding, EXCELLENT PLAYING electric THEN! And its 22 frets which I prefer. Quality wise next to a CE-22 which I A/B'd it with? It wasn't much different. The SE was actually a better playing, feeling guitar! It was NEW and the CE was used and had neck issues. BUT it was also very clear the electronics-pick-ups, were superior on the CE-22 also!

• Members

SX SEG1 = Floyd for $129.00

:thu: Yeah that's the kind of gear/price I'm targetting.

Too bad I'm lefty ...

Their cheapest lefty with a FR is about $400 ....

I'd prefer to get a used Ibanez S or RG for that money.

• Members

OLP MM1FR

100_0798.jpg

OLP guitars really knocked my socks off, played a few of them on them at the Ernie Ball stand at MusicLive in birmingham. Thought they were better than alot of guitars on other company stands priced 2 or 3 times higher. No match for the real EB's, but certainly better value for money.

• Members

Got to say, I hate locking trems. Have you used one before? It's the most tedious thing ever to fit strings, what with having to use an Allen key and such, and if you don't do it properly the strings can slip out later. I personally don't believe it's worth the bother just so the guitar stays in tune a little better and so you can do ridiculous divebombs which get old after one song.

Had a very bitter experience with a Peavey Wolfgang.

Also I had how with floating trems if you're not very careful when restringing you can cause the trem to "drop" so it's no longer floating, which is a total pain in the arse to set up again.

Grrrr.:mad:

Haha, I'd sell you my Peavey for bugger all if you just want a floating tremelo system. :p

• Members

Theres a RG MIJ for $399. with Flame Top all Natural finish. The guitar was dropped and has a nice DING on the bottom a couple inch's fron the strap button. Its a gouge thats into the wood about a 1/4 deep 2/8s wide and 1-1/2 inchs long. The guitar was/is brand new other than that. Its at Sam Ash New-Haven CT. They will PROBLY even go cheaper. I'm not sre of the model or the original price. I looked very briefly at it. But this was yesterday!

• Members

out of the new stuff, i'd say ibanez s470/320, or washburn x40 pro.

depends what you mean by cheap, of course.

Cheap means, I'm not going to spend more than $3-400 on this guitar.

BTW I thought the S470 was an old model ??

• Members

^ don't think so... there's the s320 too (minus the middle single coil), which also has a ZR (not exactly the same as a floyd, but floating and all, maybe not just as much range as a floyd because of the thin s body)... they might be within budget...

Archived