I think I want a strat... Champ 600 clip!

voneville

• Members

I think I've been listening to too much Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, because I've really been digging strat tones lately. If you recall, I've often professed that I can not love a strat no matter how great they sound or how ergonomic they are, they don't feel right to me... But that sound!

Check out this clip. Not my playing style at all, but the tone is pretty damn nice, and it's coming out of a stock Champ 600 with new tubes. A little bit of post production, too.... But damn it sounds nice...

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=977615&t=6193

I jacked the clip from milfwah of the FDP, where I sometimes lurk. If milfwah lurks or posts here, great clip! Sorry to jack your clip, but I think some folk here will appreciate it...

here's his post from FDP:

I read about the noisiness and the farty speaker and such so I decided to record this with the stock speaker and a 50th Anniv Ltd edition American series Strat.

I used an SM-57 in front of the stock amp(I did put new tubes in it though).

I plugged the mic into mu TonePort UX2 with a vocal preamp as the recording device. I then recorded all the guitat parts dry with the Champ and a strat.

I used Sonoma wire Works as a DAW. I used the stock Demo Drummer in that program ( Though I've bought some of the other sets they offer I use this groove a lot for my students so I used it here too).

I then did some After recording production work:

Some panning here and there, I put a pinch of reverb in and s dash of Phase shifter on the quick strumming part.

The Bass line was recorded with the TonePort with the Slap Bass Preset using a cheapie bass I have laying about.

All Guitars are recorded through the little Champ!!! There's some Chrystal clear to slightly driven stuff there.

It's kinda like Robert Cray and Eric Clapton Trading a riff.

If you have the opportunity to play it on a decent stereo at high volume, You'll really come to appreaciate the recording usefullness of this little amp.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=977615&t=6193

• Members

Yeah. This was posted a few days ago. But nothing wrong with hearing it again! Some GREAT playing. And it certainly makes that champ 600 sound great. Since I already have a strat, it's the champ 600 that I'm GASSing for right now....

• Members

I'll be picking a champ 600 up when I get back from a short at sea period I got coming up. I would have liked to pick it up before so I could take it with me, but I have to wait :(

I can't wait to hear my chandler tube driver through it. I love the cleans, if I can get a nice slight bluesy overdrive with my pedal at a sane volume I'll be really happy.

The strat may have to wait. I really can't afford to get into one and do the mods I'd want right now. I should have jumped on the Fullerton close-out, but I was too late! So I'm contemplating an SX or Squier (I really don't care for the big headstock though).

• Members

Yeah. This was posted a few days ago. But nothing wrong with hearing it again! Some GREAT playing. And it certainly makes that champ 600 sound great. Since I already have a strat, it's the champ 600 that I'm GASSing for right now....

I thought he might have, but I used it to demonstrate the context in which I've convinced myself I really really want a strat. I have to keep it going, or I'll go to find a strat and bring home yet another Telecaster, cause I don't have one in red, and I dig Muddy Waters. Damn it, think strat, think strat :)

• Members

The more of these clips I hear, the more I'm ready to go get one of these Champs as well. I'm loving the simplicity of being able to play a good simple, and light tube amp, at home (which is where I do most of my playing) with no fuss.

And some of these clips you guys are posting sound killer!

Hey Fuzztone,

How is that Screaming Blues working out for you? I'm kinda considering looking into one of those (or a Bad Monkey perhaps).

• Members

That sounded really nice. That guy definitely had his recording techniques down - not to take anything away from the amp, but he could probably make anything sound good between that playing and recording quality.

I'm curious to give one of those things a whirl. I don't need (and can't afford) another amp right now, but I've been hearing some good things.

Archived