school me on bigsby's

hare.29

• Members

I play left-handed.

New lefty bigsbys are tre expensive.

If I put a right-handed bigsby on my guitar, can the arm swing out of the way when I'm not using it? With other trems, you can let the arm swing counter clockwise (down from my perspective when playing) when not using it, then move it clockwise (up for me) when you need it. Can I do this with a bigsby, or does it have a stop to prevent it from moving counter clockwise? I can't tell from pictures.

Thanks!

• Members

It won't do what you need it to. It does have a stop to prevent it from moving counter-clockwise. For you, you would have to rotate it up and then toward the tail to get it out of the way.

img10292194387.jpeg

• Members

I've never had tuning problems with my Bigsby. Stringing it's a bitch, but not tuning. It's as stable as any other trem I've ever used.

I would imagine it would be a major pain to play around, however, if you had it upside down. The arm can be rotated out of the way, but it would still be hanging out there. I'd probably spring for a lefty or try something else.

• Members

I have a Bigs on a new Korean Gretsch that stays in tune really well. I dont do any Van Halen dive bombs but with a Bigsby, thats not really what you do anyway. I have an Ibanez Artcore that has a Bigsby styled Ibanez trem that does have a bit more tuning issues. It could be mnay factors, just havent totally figured them out yet.

• Members
bigsby = old trem technology that never stays in tune. GThat's all your need to know.

try a newer technical solution!

Really now??? So, when are my 3 guitars that have Bigsby's on them supposed to start going out of tune?

:confused:

~Blackbelt

• Members

As mentioned, you can modify it but the Bigs probably isn't the right trem for you.

That said, I've owned several and have never had a tuning problem with any of them.

I have found that the heel mount models (B7, etc.) are better than the top mounts (B5, etc.)

Archived