Malmsteen: why so much hatred??

clarky

• Members

Bottom line I think Yngwies stopped growing or pushing on the guitar way back in 1985-86 and I think most would agree.

I could say the same about every single blues player out there. These guys, except Jimi Hendrix, have not created anything innovative at all, unlike Yngwie and other shredders. I do agree with your statement to SOME EXTENT but Yngwie still revolutionalized guitar playing up to the mid 80's, he did things in10 years that most other guitarists can't do in their entire careers.

Still Yngwie has wrote awesome songs in the 90's and continues to do so today. His instrumentals and his technique is brilliant as always. How have EVH, Steve Vai or Satch continued to grow as musicians? They have all found their style and are comfortable with it, they play the music they enjoy to play, just like Yngwie.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

things is...
in all the stuff I've read about him - which is not exactly extensive to be honest - I've never actually seen him state that he's the greatest or anything like that..
I've never actually read anything that made me think he was an egotistic nut..
to me, he looks like a guy that is highly motivated, and has a very dry sense of humour..

I never really made a connection between hating the music and hating the man [and the same in reverse too I guess]

I remember when he first showed up...
it was revolutionary...
it's as if at the the time, he was that good / revolutionary that everyone wanted to hate him... or at least wanted to see him trip up..

to me personally, he's a great player - irrespective if you like his music or not - that can be counted as a landmark..
once he showed up, things changed forever..
just like when EVH, Blackmoore, Hendrix, Beck and several others came to the fore..

I used to be a big Malmsteen fan...
I'm not really now as my tastes have changed..
that said..
I really don't see how / why folks get to fired up and bitter when his name is mentioned...

he's just a guitar player.. lol..

Still Yngwie has wrote awesome songs in the 90's and continues to do so today.

Has written??? I'm afraid none are memorable in my experience and I listen to as many guitarists as I can.

I'm afraid his music must be an acquired taste. Music doesn't have to be revolutionary to be exciting, expressive, emotive and enjoyable.

BTW - the question that was asked by this thread is why there was so much YM hate. We're telling you. What's so hard to accept without attacking everyone.

I don't hate YM. I am indifferent to him and I love excellent guitar playing.

• Members
I'm afraid his music must be an acquired taste. Music doesn't have to be revolutionary to be exciting, expressive, emotive and enjoyable.

BTW - the question that was asked by this thread is why there was so much YM hate. We're telling you. What's so hard to accept without attacking everyone.

Who am I attacking?? :freak:

Man go take a listen to Amberdawn, one of Yngwie's softer tunes from the album Magnum Opus (the 90's), that tune will break your heart. :cool:
I don't listen to Yngwie because he is a revolutionary player (he is) but because he IS "exciting, expressive, emotive and enjoyable". That's exactly why I listen to Yngwie.
It's the feeling, the passion, that wide violin-like vibrato and all those little nuances in his playing that separates him from the pack..oh and his tone. I am {censored}ing amazed that guitarists do not appreciate him more, can not hear (don't want to hear?) the passion and melody in his playing. That's all :)

• Members

Yeah I dont hate him at all and do think he is a very accomplished guitarist that I do enjoy listening too as well as seeing but his solo exclusive songs in my mind (and ears) would hardly be on the same lines as other noteables mentioned earlier.
Im pretty much agreeing that he is a Virtuos but his expansion as a guitarist and songwriter stopped early in the mid to late 80's is really the gist of my point. The only other gripe if you will is that he approches song writing with Rhythms written around "Fokkin Fury" lead runs for the most part. Nothing wrong with that but kinda one dimensional . And even if he's the best one dimensionable player with out the other parts that make up the body of a song(arrangements.placements,other instruments parts,etc..) most will bore quickly.

Anywho this thread has made me fire up Marching Out and it is a great work without a doubt.

• Members

troll thread

no bro.. not at all....

this is not some sort of "set everyone onto everyone else" sort of trap...

I genuinely don't get the hostility towards the Malm..

think on this...

- folks say he's repetitive and hate him for it..

but he's not alone there..

Iron Maiden, Status Quo, EVH.. and many many more...

but they don't get as much scorn.. not even close..

- folks say he's a souless shredder

hmmm.. that's debatable..

I think he can be very passionate and expressive..

but yeah he can also zip along in the comfort zone and "go through the motions"..

but then.. EVH, Vai, Satch, Gilbert and all the other big shredders do this too without attracting the same levels of angst..

- folks insult him for benig fat

but I never see anyone mention BB King's size

and BB's size has nothing to do with the man or the way that he plays..

so from what I see....

the Malm has carved out his own lil' niche...

he has his lil' signature ways and over-uses them [like everyone else]

he getting older and weight becomes harder to control [which is normal.. lol]

and so he seems to be guilty of nothing particularly outrageous..

so back to my question - cos I feel like I'm really missing something here.. lol..

the meer mention of his name seems to get some folks fired up..

or to a lesser degree, some folks snipe at him...

and I just don't get it... lol...

• Members
Not at all! I love the guy, but sometimes it's a bit embarrassing to admit. Especially when he makes videos like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgqry2BoK08

A great cover of a great song but good lord it's painful to watch.
:o

lmao.....
he's just doing his thing.... like any other player... lol..
looks normal rock'n'roll vibe stuff to me...

but yeah... great cover...
love the opening solo...

• Members

Wow!.......She does have a voice like no other...Her intonation is perfect, her vibrato is subtle, her phrasing impeccable.........wow.

I'd look real weird going crazy in the pit at one of her gigs....

in addition to her great voice.. there's nice bit of slide playing there too

Who am I attacking??
:freak:

Man go take a listen to Amberdawn, one of Yngwie's softer tunes from the album Magnum Opus (the 90's), that tune will break your heart.
:cool:
I don't listen to Yngwie because he is a revolutionary player (he is) but because he
IS
"exciting, expressive, emotive and enjoyable". That's exactly why I listen to Yngwie.

It's the feeling, the passion, that wide violin-like vibrato and all those little nuances in his playing that separates him from the pack..oh and his tone. I am {censored}ing amazed that guitarists do not appreciate him more, can not hear (don't want to hear?) the passion and melody in his playing. That's all
:)

I'm just referring to the quoting of the folks saying that if we can't play it we don't like it.

I would never say he isn't talented. He certainly is. I'm willing to listen BTW. I will try to get a copy of Amberdawn. However, it may leave me in the same place I am with Vai and Satriani. They have some tunes that show amazing talent but overall, I wouldn't pick out their CD to listen and enjoy. I get bored quickly with their stuff. Never got bored with SRV. Never got bored with EVH back in the day.

I also don't question your liking him. I just haven't been inspired to buy one of his albums or sit and listen for any great length of time.

• Members

I really don't get it...

he's clearly a monster player..

I've not personally seen anything real regarding his so called ego beyond the general concensus stuff...

what real evidense is there that he's actually the nightmare that everyone says he is..

I've just not actually seen any....

I don't care about his ego.

But I find that these guys known for their technique (YM, Vai, Satch), seem to focus on technique-oriented music. Why does it all have to be so fast and intricate? What would happen if they tried to release a song composed only of common-voicing open chords? We might just see that they don't have much to offer musically other than technical ability.

To me they lack *subtlety*, which is IMHO the hallmark of all good art.

It's all subjective, of course, but I'd rather hear Jack White play guitar than these guys, because his songs don't require complexity. They are that good.

• Members

But I find that these guys known for their technique (YM, Vai, Satch), seem to focus on technique-oriented music. Why does it all have to be so fast and intricate? What would happen if they tried to release a song composed only of common-voicing open chords? We might just see that they don't have much to offer musically other than technical ability.

It's all subjective, of course, but I'd rather hear Jack White play guitar than these guys, because his songs don't
require
complexity. They are that good.

hmmm....

not everything Satch and Vai play is mega fast or technically demanding...

Satch's Crying is lovely.. great use of space.. fabulous control and dynamics..

• Members

hmmm....

not everything Satch and Vai play is mega fast or technically demanding...

Satch's Crying is lovely.. great use of space.. fabulous control and dynamics..

Recommend for me some slow, simple, Satch or Vai.

As I'm not a fan obviously I don't know their whole catalogue.

• Members
Wow!.......She does have a voice like no other...Her intonation is perfect, her vibrato is subtle, her phrasing impeccable.........wow.

Best band in the land imho... the word that comes to mind is "flawless". But that doesn't mean boring or soulless... that's why AKUS is always on rotation at my house. Ron Block has a new solo record coming out.

www.RonBlock.com :)

Didn't mean to hijack, just to say that I have heard many people talk about YJM and say that his technique is flawless. It might well be. But that's only one side of the story. AKUS is flawless AND soulful.

I realize that it is silly to compare YJM and AKUS... on the surface. I hope you'll allow me the leap of imagination to underscore my point!

• Members

Recommend for me some slow, simple, Satch or Vai.

As I'm not a fan obviously I don't know their whole catalogue.

k...

Satch:

Crying - which is on Extremist

War - on Extremist [this is a heavier track but still has a non-shred and rather lyrical melody

Cool #9 - which is on Joe Satriani

Vai:

he tends to start nice and then go off on one somewhat...

I think he just gets carried away... lmao..

but here are a few of his prettier moments..

Tender Surrender - holy crap.. mind has gone blank as to what CD it's on.. lol..

possibly Alien Love Secrets????

For The Love of God - jeez.. what's happening to my brain.. lol.. possibly on Passion and Warfare.. lmao...

• Members

That's ridiculous. If Yngwie did that, we would be saying "He ain't {censored}. Even I can do that!" Look at John Mayer. A talented musician, tasty playing, but nothing spectacular. And every day some teenage metal HC douche will post a thread about how gay he is.

If Yngwie just played like everyone else, he would be just another guitarist. But we all know who he is. Some love him, some hate him. Which is fine. I don't like jazz but I'm not gonna try to convince everyone here that it sucks or lacks "feel".

• Members

k...

Satch:

Crying - which is on Extremist

War - on Extremist [this is a heavier track but still has a non-shred and rather lyrical melody

Cool #9 - which is on Joe Satriani

Vai:

he tends to start nice and then go off on one somewhat...

I think he just gets carried away... lmao..

but here are a few of his prettier moments..

Tender Surrender - holy crap.. mind has gone blank as to what CD it's on.. lol..

possibly Alien Love Secrets????

For The Love of God - jeez.. what's happening to my brain.. lol.. possibly on Passion and Warfare.. lmao...

Agreed with above listed as well as Circles and Always with Me Always with You both from Surfing With the Alien.

• Members

A High degree of technique but Ho-Hum after a couple of tunes. A master of wheedly-wheedly induced listening boredom.

The thing I don't like about the dude is the way he treats lessor beings. I'd probably have to knock his dick in the dirt if I was around him much.

• Members

Agreed with above listed as well as Circles and Always with Me Always with You both from Surfing.

Always.... how could I forget that... lol..

and Vai's Lotus Feet...

when I saw him do that live in the Paradiso in Amsterdam with the Metropol Orkest my throat went dry, my hair stood on end and I had goose bumps...

a totally unforgettable moment

Archived