Vintage Noiseless, or Lace Sensors?

Nick Steen

• Members

So the buzzing has finally gotten to me. I need me some noiseless pickups.

The guitar that needs them is a Fender '57 Reissue Strat. So here is the question... Between the Fender Vintage "Noiseless" pickups and the Lace Sensors, which ones will sound the most like the current pickups? Or which ones will give the same sound, only more clarity?

I've read pages of reviews for each, but they don't help at all since they all contradict each other in every other sentence or talked about crazy electronics mods that were done to make it sound good, or were talking about changing the tone to a style... I just want to have the same (or as close as possible) sound with noooooo evil satanic buzz/hum/{censored}.

Your help is appreciated.

• Members

I put lace sensors in my strat a few months back. The attack is not like the attack of the pickups they replaced (this is something that people seem to complain about, so if you can find a guitar at the store with them, I would try it out). Also, I don't find them to be noiseless... more like generally quiet but susceptible to noise (if they are pointed at a source that will cause noise, you will get more noise than a humbucker, but less than a single coil). To me, the sensors have a clearer sound than other pickups, but otherwise the voicing is pretty similar.

I have played a few guitars with the vintage noiseless pickups, but I don't know them well enough to comment.

• Members

Maybe you should look into better shielding your guitar.

Aye, shielding would help, and this house is like the spawn from hell in terms of producing buzz... I'm pondering doing both and making my guitar the ultra omega-o non-noisy strat. In any case, swapping out pickups would be less of a pain in my ass to do as a quick fix (yay me being lazy).

• Members

my strat came with Lace sensors, I liked them allot as far as tone but didn't really have the output I wanted. I changed them and put in Vintage Noiseless. I liked them better. To me its a toss up. One tone is better, the other the output is better.

I want to look into Hot Lace Sensor Golds. I bet thats the ticket.

I added a spring to give the vintage noiseless a deeper tone. They are very glassy but the vintage tone is unmistakable. The gold lace sensors are deeper voiced. If you are looking for a hot output, neither of these will do. They are low output and sweet.

I got an MIJ with a sweet mod that made the gold lacers really cool. The middle pup is wide open. No tone knob control. Like a Jimmie Vaughn. That wide open middle pup is a go too tone!!

• Members

I put Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups in my Fender Telecaster. (See avatar at left.) They are quiet and hot. Quite different from Fender Vintage Noiseless, I am told. Opinions vary about how closely they resemble Fender single coils. Fender says they are very similar. Personally, I love my SCN's a lot, I've been very happy with them.

I put Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups in my Fender Telecaster. (See avatar at left.) They are quiet and hot. Quite different from Fender Vintage Noiseless, I am told. Opinions vary about how closely they resemble Fender single coils. Fender says they are very similar. Personally, I love my SCN's a lot, I've been very happy with them.

Love that guitar BTW!!

• Members

The lace sensors would be better but the best noiseless ones are the kinmans.

I love the LS for what they are, but the kinmans I've tried have been the more "vintage" sounding. Gold Lace Sensors sound awesome imo, but the *do* sound different from regular vintage-style PUs. A bit more modern, sort of like a half-way point between regular strat PUs and the clear precision of EMGs. I like that, but it's not for everyone.

• Members

Hot Noiseless PUs arrived with my Jeff Beck Custom Shop, and I had the Kinman AVn Blues set installed in my MIM 50s Classic. I own a real-life 1963 Strat, and gigged it for a long time until theft-or-damage paranoia compelled me to keep it at home, and even with that as the 'reference guitar' for serious Strat tone, I'm very happy with both the Kinmans and the Hot Noiseless. I had Lace Sensors in a Strat Plus for a while, and they weren't bad at all

• Members

I've owned both and I give the edge to the LS's.
They're a bit clearer and more responsive.

+ 100000000000000000000000000000 on the shielding.
After all these years I decided to do the guitarnuts shielding mod.
HOLY {censored} what a difference.

PS. Grab a roll of the copper tape with the conductive adhesive. It makes the job so simple.

• Members

I have a strat plus with Red/Silver/Blue lace sensors. I like the tone a lot, but its not really "vintage strat." I hear the golds are more "vintage" sounding, but not "vintage strat." I've also played the Vintage Noiseless and the Samarian Cobalt Noiseless and preferred the SCN pups.

Archived