Pickup Connector to Release w/o Soldering

Matter-Eater Lad

• Moderators

Kinman has a no-solder harness for his pickups. But you could do it yourself I would imagine. Put some type of male / female clips inbetween where the pickup wires go.

The easiest way is in the case of a Strat is to run the pickup wires to a pin block and the other side of the pin block obviously goes to the switch and pots etc.

• Members

I think most folks don't find soldering to be that troublesome so there probably isn't a lot out there like that. not to say it couldn't be done though. Those cheapo saga kits have no solder connections but they are pretty crappy and most folks I hear just solder it properly anyway.

• Members

The easiest way is in the case of a Strat is to run the pickup wires to a pin block and the other side of the pin block obviously goes to the switch and pots etc.

What is a "pin block"?

I can solder but I want to have two Strat pickguard set-ups, and interchange them easily. I know myself - if I have to fire up the iron everytime I simply won't change them.

• Members

I have always found it curious that pickup manufacturers have not arrived at a standard pickup connector. It seems to me that they ALL would sell alot more pickups if common consumers who don't like wires and solder could easily change pickups. Some guitars have been made with interchangable pickups, but those were non-starters for a variety of reasons.

If we had to solder wires into a guitar to connect it to an amp, I would imagine there would be alot less guitars sold.

• Members

I do this all the time (have several loaded strat pickguard assemblies that I swap). It's so easy, I just use 2 of those small plastic twist things you can buy anywhere. There will only be 3 wires and 2 of them are both the ground from the jack and ground to the body (or bridge). The other white wire is to the jack. I can swap pickguard assemblies faster than changing a set of strings. And if you have locking tuners you don't need to change strings, just release them from the tuners.

• Members

Right, that's exactly what I want to do. I have a Floyd Rose trem on it so I just pull the whole trem off with strings attached, when I need to. So I figure changing a pickguard would be a snap.

I thought there might be something more elegant than the wire twisty things but that would work.

• Members

There's something about the signal transfer of one piece of wirel MELTED into the other that appeals to me over signal transfer based on one piece of metal touching another. I realize that a pickup selector switch has to work on the latter principle...but if you ever heard the tone change when you jiggled that pickup selector switch due to a cheap connection, you might get my point.
Scrathy sounding pots also come to mind. My theory is to solder everywhere you can. I suppose if you swap pickups out it might be a little handy, but it would have to be pretty often to seem practical to me. Most of the work is removing the pickguard, mounting the new pickups, restringing the guitar...etc. I never felt the actual connection of the wires to the pots was that troublesome.

• Members

Except my idea is to have two or three already loaded pickguards to change out, not the individual pickups. Plus like I said, it has a Floyd Rose trem so I can pull the trem with string off all at once, which I do a lot for other reasons. I'm going to try it somehow. If the connection is shady i can always go back to soldered.

Archived