strat!

Mikex21

• Members

Just about every strat feels different regardless of where it is made. There is no "Mexican" feel or "American" feel.

I guess so, but I think that you can tell which is which soley by playing them and not examining the price or headstock

• Members

I guess so, but I think that you can tell which is which soley by playing them and not examining the price or headstock

Not so much any more. The difference between American made and foreign made Strats is getting much smaller.

• Members

It's an interesting question, but it's one that's flawed from the start. Here's why:

MIM strats:

Standard Strat: Trem, classic C shaped neck, poly finish

Robert Cray strat: hard tail, chunky neck, poly finish

JV Strat: Trem, V-shaped neck, poly finish

BG strat: trem, medium V-shaped neck, poly finish

US Strats:

Eric Clapton Strat: trem, serious V-shaped neck, Poly finish

Bonnie Raitt strat: trem, slim neck - shaped for a woman's hand size - poly finish

Eric Johnson neck: chunky profile, almost a U shape, trem, and nitro finish.

So... which are we comparing? There are so many different models with their own set of specs, that it's difficult to compare the "feel" in such a generic fashion...

• Members

MIA has better hardware, better pups, and (usually) better feel on average. But alot depends, as BHH noted, which model of MIA or MIM?? You could also throw the MIJ's into the equation too. I have played a couple of MIM models (JV Strat) that played and felt better than the MIA I played the same day.

Of course - my Robin Strat smokes every strat I have ever played, except maybe the EJ Strat...:D

• Members

Personal opinion----the lower end USA strats are very simliar to MIM strats to me in both appearance; sound; tone; playability; and such........MIM strats are a bargain IMHO; Of course in all of this-----a lot depends upon a good setup and correctly adjusted pickup heights too!:thu:

• Members
Isn't there a difference in nut width? I thought the MIAs, generally, had a little wider nut - or maybe it is a different string spacing.

Can anyone confirm?
:wave:

My MIM Nash tele has 43mm nut width, the same as many MIA.
;)

• Members

i have owned and played many US and MIMs. while there tends to be alot of variation amoung guitars made in both places it is very easy to tell the difference in sound quality of the pups, the quality of the electronics as well as the wood and paint jobs, the fretwork and most of all the feel of the craftsmanship of the necks. .
The mims have come a long way and are a very good value but "in general" the USAs are a much better feeling and playing instrument. as for value..........thats up to the individual and their finances and uses for the guitar.

Archived