What do you think about TuneCore ("free" online distribution)?

Brittanylips

• Members

I think people might see it as an easy way to get onto iTunes. But I agree, they have yet to sell it.

However, with all the bitching by non-signed musicians about how difficult it is to get your music out, here's a seemingly easy no-strings-attached way to get your music out.

-PL&B

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

However, with all the bitching by non-signed musicians about how difficult it is to get your music out, here's a seemingly easy no-strings-attached way to get your music out.

-PL&B

Seems like a pretty fair deal.

After spending a few years uploading all my stuff to mp3.com and then seeing them go bust was kind of a drag. I had about every song I deemed worthy on there. And it took a lot of patience and time to upload all that {censored} on dial-up. I know, I'm still holding out for cheaper broadband. :D

I did bookmark the site so thanks for the link. :thu:

• Members

I'm definitely intrigued. While my main download 'partner,' Soundclick, offers a free online sale option (they sell the song for about a buck and keep about half), there's always the "micro-indie ghetto" aspect to SC (no slag on SC -- but it's never had the same general audience that the old Mp3.com had at its peak).

I've been on the verge of putting together a 'physical' album for CD Baby for a long time (after having had an album for sale out of Mp3.com) with the idea of getting my stuff out into iTunes and other online stores.

As a cheapskate, the price, especially appeals to me.

Of course... the bottom line is that a whole lot of folks won't pay for mainstream, known artists... and then, also, I've made a point of giving away my music for so long... I'm not sure I want to stop giving it away. (Although I might go with free streaming but pay-for DLs. I dunno.) It starts sounding like a PayPal Tip Jar -- and I had one of those for two years while I was getting hundreds of DLs every month and never got a single 'tip.'

ADDENDUM: Then again, come to think of it, The Orchard sounded pretty cool, and had a similar roll-out, complete with 'industry rebel' Richard Gotherer at the helm. Didn't keep them from allegedly ripping off hundreds if not thousands of artists. (Who were STILL protesting when The Orchard -- after allegedly stiffing musicians who had PAID to get their albums distributed through them -- cut a deal with the iTunes store to sell the music in question. Far as I know, those musicians are still protesting about their works being sold without compensation.)

So... 'seller' beware.

POST-ADDENDUM ADDENDUM: But it DOES look really intriguing. I think I'm going to finish my homework, check out artist agreement for gotchyas -- and espesh make sure they have a real termination agreement... but, heck yeah... I'm really thinkin' hard about it. Cheapskates, here's your warning: go download your free one blue nine tracks now, to be on the safe side.

POST-POST-ADDENDUM A... ah never mind

So far I'm really impressed with Tunecore -- but I was just checking out the latest info on selling your music through Soundclick -- and THEY'VE made some serious upgrages to their services -- most notably the ability for the artist to set his own prices. Now an artist can set the price of a single DL as low as $.25 (and album prices as low as $2.99! Now THAT's what I've been talking about for years... )

[i could imagine selling 128kbps mp3s through my [cheapskate free] Soundclick page and then selling higher rez AACs (and, arf, RealMedia, I guess, through Rhapsondy) [uPDATE: I don't think, on second thought, that's true... I think the store specifies the bitrate they want to sell] through the TuneCore connection.

Better get those one blue nine free downloads now, folks... this free lunch is goin' mersh...

Archived