Breakin in the stone pizza oven.

Jimbroni

• Members

My buddy Bobby Soul, picked up a used commercial stone pizza oven, for about $100.00 this summer. He cleaned it out and seasoned it, then let it sit for like 4 months. We've been raggin on him to whip it out. So last night was the night. The goal was to each design our own pizza, and enjoy. That made for three.

My pizza was to be a thin crust white pizza.

Bob's pizza was to be a thick stuffed crust pizza.

My Drummer's pizza was an attempt at a sicicilian.

We picked up dough from the local bakery, and spread out the crusts. I prepared mine first.

Spread the pizza real thin, let it rise for about an hour. Painted a light coat of pesto. Then a slightly thicker coat of olive oil and garlic. Then salt, oregano, and Aged gouda. Then pre-baked the crust. Pulled it out and let sit. Par boiled some italian sausage, then sauted in olive oil. Then mixed romano and ricotta with olive oil, and spread on the pre baked crust, nice and thick. Added the sausage, added artichoke hearts, garden mushrooms, Sliced tomatoes, mozzarella, and more aged gouda. Tossed it back in and wallah smashing success. Gotta say this was the best one of the evening if I do say so myself.

• Members

The next pizza was Bob's. He prepared Sweet potatoes, and white potatoes, and mashed them with milk, butter and brown sugar. Put the sweet potato mix around the edge of the pizza and rolled a stuffed crust.

He let his crust rise 3 hours, and then basted with olive oil.

Then prebaked his pizza crust.

He then prepared a Mexican hamburger and choriza meat blend. Along Montery Jack pepper cheese, Sliced orange peppers, and tomatoes. Very simple, very thick and very good. The stuffed crust was fantastic, like a magic treat at the end.

• Members

Now the last pizza, was to be a scicilian style, so no pre baking of the crust to allow the sauce to mix into the dough.

Chris prepared the dough basted with olive oil, a thin layer of hot salsa, followed by pizza sauce. His pizza was heavy He used sausage, muchrooms, mozzarella and jack pepper cheese. When he put the pizza into the oven it wouldn't slide very good.

I should say that we were using corn meal on the surface of the pizza racks, and the wooden pizza spatula to help the pizza slide. Alas the pizza was too heavy to slide in very good. He finally got the pizza in there or so we thought. A few minutes later we started smelling something, and realized the pizza had run over the edge of the rack and starting dripping onto the filaments. We couldn't get the pizza out of the oven. A total mess. Now Bob's gonna have tear it all apart clean it again and reseason before we try tha t again. It's a bummer because the last pizza had potential. Our conclusion is that with out sliding pizza screens we need to prebake the crusts.

Just though I'd share our pizza trials and tribulations.

All in all, the stone oven rocks. The crusts came out perfect and crispy.

• Members

Mexican ingredients along with sweet potatoes on a pizza? Wow, that's a new one! Glad they came out great!

I don't have a fancy oven but I did buy a pizza stone for use in my regular oven, I just preheat it at 500 degrees for a half hour and it works great. I hear you about the sticking pizzas, I had orginally got a metal pizza peel, and my first "transfer" (sliding it onto the stone, then jerking the peel out from underneath) resulted in all the toppings staying on the stone... while the dough stuck tenaciously to the peel; that certainly broke in my stone in one fell swoop, had to use a belt sander to clean it up.

No matter how much flour or cornstarch I used, the dough always stuck to that metal peel, its only when I bought a wood one that I had consistent luck (I still use the metal one to remove pizzas, its a bit easier to slide under the cooked pizza).

Damn, now I'm hungry!

Archived