strat tuning stability

Leftovercrack

• Members

The only thing I don't agree with in that list is giving many wraps around the post of the string. I always cross-wrap my unwound strings on the first pass and make sure to not use too many winds. The more winds you get the more chance you have of slacking stretching and settling going on there.

Properly stretching the crap out of your strings also helps.

As far as trem springs go, I would assume that it would be irrelevant unless you do lots of heavy trem usage. Then I would expect more springs to cause potential for tuning problems since they can pop and re-settle in slightly different places.

• Members
The only thing I don't agree with in that list is giving many wraps around the post of the string. I always cross-wrap my unwound strings on the first pass and make sure to not use too many winds. The more winds you get the more chance you have of slacking stretching and settling going on there.

I've never agreed with anyone who said more wraps is a bad thing, because of the "slippage" or whathaveyou. I've always given my treble strings more wraps for a better string angle behind the nut (that way I don't have to use a string tree, at least on my B strings). As long as you properly stretch your strings you will not have a problem....I never have. If you ever see Eric Johnsons main strat, notice how the B string is wrapped all the way to the bottom of the post almost :eek:

• Members

Properly stretching the crap out of your strings also helps.

As far as trem springs go, I would assume that it would be irrelevant unless you do lots of heavy trem usage. Then I would expect more springs to cause potential for tuning problems since they can pop and re-settle in slightly different places.

yeah, more windings is bad for tuning

• Members

"I find that my floating tremolo guitars hold tune better than the one that is set flush - not the result most people would expect."

That's probably the single most important thing he said. The bridge needs to be set at the right angle and it needs to be floating. If that isn't set right, you don't have a chance of staying in tune.

• Members

All of my Strat trems float, and all of them always have. I am also a heavy trem user - I don't divebomb but I yank on the bar quite a bit in a good percentage of songs. I've never had any tuning stability issues at all, with any of them. Ditto the Bigsbys (I have 3 of those at the moment).

Keep the saddles, nut, and any other surfaces that support the strings lubed up and you'll be fine. Put several wraps on each string. If you wrap them neat, tight, and straight, and then stretch the strings out for a few minutes, you won't have any other slippage issues. I've never understood folks putting only one or two wraps on a string. That is definitely not as stable a process.

~Blackbelt

• Members

most Strat tuning problems are not trem problems, they're nut problems...

isn't this common knowledge by now?

yep-

if you add springs, lube everything up and still have tuning issues a replacement nut is in order. theres the graphtec which is made of a material claimed to be 500% more slippery than graphite and i believe them - very smooth and you dont have to lube the nut! its made specifically for trem use

then theres the earvana which is made of a similar slippery material, seems to be equal in terms of slippin and sliding. plus you get the better overall intonation which IMO almost every strat ive owned or played can really benifit from (damn G string!)

also, make sure t lube all points: the nut, the bridge saddles and under the string trees (easy to dip tooth floss on sewing machine oil and "floss" under trees), and also make sure to lube the contact points where the bridge/trem actually rests. i put light oil on there and occasionally chapstick (just on the 2 posts, its a 2-point trem)

usually stock fender nuts have the slots really high anyway and that makes the action stiffer. a new nut or having a good tech file down your nut for smooth trem use with help alot. also a lower nutslot will take away alot of stiffness from the headstock/nut end of the guitar and give you a slinkier feel

• Members

All of my Strat trems float, and all of them always have. I am also a heavy trem user - I don't divebomb but I yank on the bar quite a bit in a good percentage of songs. I've never had any tuning stability issues at all, with any of them. Ditto the Bigsbys (I have 3 of those at the moment).

Keep the saddles, nut, and any other surfaces that support the strings lubed up and you'll be fine. Put several wraps on each string. If you wrap them neat, tight, and straight, and then stretch the strings out for a few minutes, you won't have any other slippage issues. I've never understood folks putting only one or two wraps on a string. That is definitely not as stable a process.

~Blackbelt

This man speaks with wisdom.

Archived