BEST CLEAN RECORDED STRAT SOUNDS

The Keester

• Members

Eric Johnson - Trademark

I can't believe it took this long to get an EJ post

:thu: :thu: :thu:

i like the other ones that have been posted too, but i came in here to say EJ. his clean tones on desert rose and manhattan are pretty good too.

• Members

i thought he got that tone out of a gretsch.

JerryPicker has posted a link here a few times about how the tone was created for Wicked Game. And it takes a fair share of "gizmos" that the average player won't have in his/her arsenal to completely nail that tone, but I'm pretty sure it states the axe was a strat. I play the song by sliding up to the note, but in actuality, it is played with the vintage tremolo depressed and then lifting off as the note is struck. You can probably find that link here by doing a search.

But on top of that I recently got a copy of PBA SoundStage - Chris Isaak, and i definitely has that tone being created by a Fender Strat. On the Song Chris is playing a Gibson with a Bigsby that appears a lot like an ES-335, but his side man on that song is playing a gorgeous silver leaf strat to create the eerie reverb drenched tones associated with "Wicked Game".

Here, I just found a nice YouTube link of it. :thu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gB94iOMSms

• Members

SRV's Lenny tone is the money clean strat tone IMO.

Knopfler is great on the early albums. Sultans of Swings gets all the attention, but In The Gallery has some awesome tone too. He really makes that Strat pop! It's interesting though, if you listen to those early Knopfler solo tones...they're not totally clean. It sounds to me like a Blackface Fender with the tiniest hint of powertube distortion.

I like John Frusciante's funky clean strat tones too. Eric Johnson's is very crisp and clear, although I like his dirty tone more.

Archived