floyd rose guitars

iracemx199

• Members

do you have to use the d-tuna or can you just use the fine tuners. CUz I was playin this Jackson Rhoads guitar in my local music shop and I asked the guy if I could tune it to dropped d and he told me to use the fine tuners.

• Members

do you have to use the d-tuna or can you just use the fine tuners. CUz I was playin this Jackson Rhoads guitar in my local music shop and I asked the guy if I could tune it to dropped d and he told me to use the fine tuners.

• Members

I remember hearing that if you put the fine tuner all the way screwed in on the bottom string and manage to leave it there while getting the rest of the Floyd in tune, you can drop to D by screwing it all the way out, since its range is one step. It's pretty hard to do, though.

• Members

I remember hearing that if you put the fine tuner all the way screwed in on the bottom string and manage to leave it there while getting the rest of the Floyd in tune, you can drop to D by screwing it all the way out, since its range is one step. It's pretty hard to do, though.

What do you do if your e string goes flat?

• Members

Either the d-tuna, or buy a tremolno. With the tremol-no you can lock down the trem making it a hardtail so you can tune to whatever you want without messing things up.
Just get things back to normal before you go back into trem mode

yeah, you need to get it back. which can be harder than it sounds, lol. if you want everything to be exactly balanced etc. again.

but yeah, i'd say the tremol-no is the best option, if you still want to be able to float the trem.

• Members

It seems like if you used a Tremel-no, you'd have full floating in E and dive-only in D. You'd have to set it to dive before turning the fine tuner to drop to D.

The D-Tuna page claims that you can use it with a full floating trem if you install a Tremsetter or WD stabilizer. Another forumite tried this last year and couldn't get it to work. Turning the fine tuner has the same effect as using a D-Tuna.

If you only need it to dive, you can block the trem.

• Members

if you are talking about just dropping the low E to D while keeping your other strings the same, then yes, it is possible. i do that quite often while using my fine tuners.

if you screw the fine tuner in all the way, then it will be go sharp. and if you loosen it all the way, it will be flat. and with my floyd rose, its usually in perfect tuning from low E to drop D. and it doesnt mess up my tuning for other strings either.

• Members

if you are talking about just dropping the low E to D while keeping your other strings the same, then yes, it is possible. i do that quite often while using my fine tuners.

if you screw the fine tuner in all the way, then it will be go sharp. and if you loosen it all the way, it will be flat. and with my floyd rose, its usually in perfect tuning from low E to drop D. and it doesnt mess up my tuning for other strings either.

That was the answer I was wanting to here. I was thinking of buying a guitar with a trem but I was having second thoughts because people were telling me I'd screw it up if I tuned to drop d using fine tuners. But if its that simple why buy the d-tuna or tremol-no?

• Members

dont get your hopes up though. floyd rose are actually alot of fun to mess around with. but are very sensative as well. not only does the bridge move when you do wide vibratos(string bends), but if you strike a string hard enough, the vibrations of that string will get picked up by the neighboring string. like you strike a high E hard, and then the B string starts ringing as well.

and if you change the string gauges on it, you will end up with having some dead frets, or something else.

however...unless the guitar is made up of leaves...or some other crappy matterial, then it is possible to fix all these things. know what you're doing, and you wont run into these problems....or take it to a luthier.

dont get me wrong, floyd rose=TOTAL FUN! but can get a lil annoying if you're not patient.

• Members

dont get your hopes up though. floyd rose are actually alot of fun to mess around with. but are very sensative as well. not only does the bridge move when you do wide vibratos(string bends), but if you strike a string hard enough, the vibrations of that string will get picked up by the neighboring string. like you strike a high E hard, and then the B string starts ringing as well.

and if you change the string gauges on it, you will end up with having some dead frets, or something else.

however...unless the guitar is made up of leaves...or some other crappy matterial, then it is possible to fix all these things. know what you're doing, and you wont run into these problems....or take it to a luthier.

dont get me wrong, floyd rose=TOTAL FUN! but can get a lil annoying if you're not patient.

They're fun when they work and if you know what you're doing. Unfortunately, I only have the basics down and my trem springs are {censored}ing possessed. My bridge keeps pulling up after string changes, despite the fact that I've been using the exact same strings and doing them one at a time. Last luthier didn't know what to make of it, I'll be trying again this week :mad:

Hopefully a spring change will solve it, I don't what else could be wrong

• Members

alright here's your answer: it is possible, if you have the fine tuner as far in as it can go and tuned to E, to drop the strings tuning to D, but this will mess up the balance and cause other strings to go out of tune. with a tremol-no there is a built in feature called the "deep C" and i'm not sure why it's called that :D , but it lets your trem still move down but not up (dive-only). once you've done that, you can choose to drop to D with a fine tuner (using the process i just said), or you can go the more costly way with a D-tuna. personally, i think the D-tuna is well worth the money, because you literally pull on the thing and you're in drop-d tuning. push it back in, you're back in standard tuning. it works perfectly too. if the trem is in dive-only it will not go out of tune in drop-d because it will not be held by tension as it normally is when floating.

• Members
They're fun when they work and if you know what you're doing. Unfortunately, I only have the basics down and my trem springs are {censored}ing possessed. My bridge keeps pulling up after string changes, despite the fact that I've been using the exact same strings and doing them one at a time. Last luthier didn't know what to make of it, I'll be trying again this week
:mad:

Hopefully a spring change will solve it, I don't what else could be wrong

hummm..interesting. i'm new to the whole floyd rose thing myself, but i'm not moving away from em. i love em too much...

but perhaps you THINK you are using the same strings...but arnt. like, maybe your guitar came with a GHS 10-46 set. but you grabbed a D'Addario 10-46. whats the difference? not each string follows the same pattern of gauges. just coz its '10-46' doesnt mean each and every set is the same....which is one thing that really ticks me off about 'guitar experts' like if i ask em what strings i'm using, they look at it and say '10s!' and i'm like..yeah, i know that my high E is a 10, but what about the others?!' and they look at the low e and say '48s!'

and then i slap myself on the head.

just grab umm...perhaps an erniball set of strings, stick to em. and if your brige is still acting up, try tightening the springs, but dont put the spring cavity cover back on, just in case. keep it that way for about a week or two. see if that helps?

• Members

but if you get the tremol-no you cant use the trem. right? I want to always have the trem as an option to use no matter what tuning I'm in.

you can still use the trem. perhaps not in the differing tunings if you want to stay in hardtail mode. There is dive-only mode too where you can dive with the trem and still be able to change tuning easily, though sometimes (i.e. in my guitar, lol) there isn't enough room to fit that device without affecting the range of up-pull when the trem isn't locked.

• Members

hummm..interesting. i'm new to the whole floyd rose thing myself, but i'm not moving away from em. i love em too much...

but perhaps you THINK you are using the same strings...but arnt. like, maybe your guitar came with a GHS 10-46 set. but you grabbed a D'Addario 10-46. whats the difference? not each string follows the same pattern of gauges. just coz its '10-46' doesnt mean each and every set is the same....which is one thing that really ticks me off about 'guitar experts' like if i ask em what strings i'm using, they look at it and say '10s!' and i'm like..yeah, i know that my high E is a 10, but what about the others?!' and they look at the low e and say '48s!'

and then i slap myself on the head.

just grab umm...perhaps an erniball set of strings, stick to em. and if your brige is still acting up, try tightening the springs, but dont put the spring cavity cover back on, just in case. keep it that way for about a week or two. see if that helps?

They've all been d'addario 10-48, its not the strings...

Archived