how do I get that "Sabbath/Wolfmother" fuzz sound?

hondro

• Members

Most of that sort of tone is a lot lower gain that you often think. I remember an interview with Angus Young where he said people were always surprised at how low he had the gain on his Marshall (though obviously different tone from Wolfmother). A fuzz would do it, but turn it up to what gain you think it needs to be, then take it back about 15%. That's probably closer to what it really needs to be. In a band environment a really over the top fuzz turns to slush very fast.

• Members

Its not really that fuzzy I always think.

I had one of those BSM RM Metal pedals, that nailed it.

Also go similar sounds out of a colorsound overdriver clone and other treble boosters.

I love the BSM stuff. Too bad that guy who makes them treated his dealers like ass. My local dealer sold those pedals left and right till they "just stopped coming". My dealer said the guy broke him off :confused:

• Members

I love the BSM stuff. Too bad that guy who makes them treated his dealers like ass. My local dealer sold those pedals left and right till they "just stopped coming". My dealer said the guy broke him off
:confused:

Yep it certainly beat the shit out of the other stuff I had, like the keeley java boost I had for example.....

• Members

Either the Lava or the Tweak. I never did try the Lava. But it was partly based on the fact that the Tweak had zero usable tones for me, so I was turned off from the Lava from the start.

I want to hear an Electric boosted with something like a DS-1. Just to see if it can tighten up, or how much it would. Someone buy one of those amps!

• Members

is there a pedal I need? a way to EQ the amp? I want that super fuzzy sound

I use a Gibson SG Classic through an Orange AD-30 through a Marshall 4x12 with Celestion G12H's

Classic Sabbath was cranked up vintage Laney amps with a Rangemaster treble boost. Iomii uses very light guage strings as well which will give you more distortion.

The few Wolfmother tunes I have heard sound like a Big Muff fuzz or some type of Tonebender fuzz will get you there. BYOC makes great kits for vintage speced versions of them.

• Members

Either the Lava or the Tweak. I never did try the Lava. But it was partly based on the fact that the Tweak had zero usable tones for me, so I was turned off from the Lava from the start.

I want to hear an Electric boosted with something like a DS-1. Just to see if it can tighten up, or how much it would. Someone buy one of those amps!

I've had quite a few matamps if thats any help

• Members

Classic Sabbath was cranked up vintage Laney amps with a Rangemaster treble boost. Iomii uses very light guage strings as well which will give you more distortion.

The few Wolfmother tunes I have heard sound like a Big Muff fuzz or some type of Tonebender fuzz will get you there. BYOC makes great kits for vintage speced versions of them.

how would light gauge strings give you more distortion?

i would also suggest something like a Big Muff, behringer seem to do a nice cheap version http://www.behringer.com/VD1/index.cfm?lang=eng

i bought their copy of the metal zone and it is just as good

• Members

:lol:

i know its not a great pedal, but for what i use it for it is actually perfect

anyway the point is, if you're not sure what type of fuzz/dist you want, why not buy a couple of cheap behringer fuzzboxes, play with them until you get the *kind* of tone you like and then perhaps invest in a more high-end version of that type of sound

i reckon if you can play well in that style, anything will do

Archived