Ukelele

walfordr

• Members

No pics, but it looks like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lanikai-LU21T-Tenor-Ukulele?sku=512522&src=00633&247SEM

Normally they are re-entrant tuned GCEA (ie the G string is an octave higher), but you can also string them up to be low G tuned or whatever else you fancy.

Any suggestions for songs that might sound good?

• Members

I've been playing uke since 2000. THey are a blast. I play a lot of stuff on them, but mostly old jazz standards because they seem a natural pairing.

However, I've played a lot of more modern stuff on my uke too-- "Spanish Bombs" by The Clash, "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding", "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" by Tom Waits...whatever strikes me.

As much as I dig them, though, there are some things that just don't translate real well. Old country stuff tends not to sound that great because of the bass runs that you can't pull off with the limited range of the uke. Some stuff can come off sounding rather anemic and silly if you try to transfer it to uke, but it's great for some things and IMO they are really pretty sounding little instruments with a fascinating history.

I have a couple of decent wood ukes, an old vintage Maybell banjo-uke and a metal bodied resonator uke. My wife has a baritone uke that's fun. I even have an old Gibson uke that looks like it's never been played, but the back and soundboard have come unglued.

PS-- incidentally, I see your avatar. I've heard that Joe Strummer got his nickname because he used to busk in London subways with a uke (strumming.)

• Members

I have a baritone uke, too.

I bought it to work on melodic chord voicings. Since a baritone uke is the same as the top four strings on a guitar, it limits your playing - forcing you to come up with new chord voicings. I can play like 9 different voicings of a D chord up and down the neck because of that - all on the top 4 strings, for example

I also bought a baritone uke for my cousin because she wanted to learn how to play guitar. I figure a baritone uke is smaller, and if she gets good enough at the uke she'll be a monster on the guitar when she gets bigger. Just wish I lived close enough to teach her.

• Members

I have a baritone uke, too.

I bought it to work on melodic chord voicings. Since a baritone uke is the same as the top four strings on a guitar, it limits your playing - forcing you to come up with new chord voicings. I can play like 9 different voicings of a D chord up and down the neck because of that - all on the top 4 strings, for example

I also bought a baritone uke for my cousin because she wanted to learn how to play guitar. I figure a baritone uke is smaller, and if she gets good enough at the uke she'll be a monster on the guitar when she gets bigger. Just wish I lived close enough to teach her.

Bari ukes are fun. I prefer the sopranos, but they all have their place. Playing uke has done nothing but improve my guitar skills also.

NOW what I'm eager to try is a tenor guitar. I really have GAS for one of those. There's a beautiful old vintage Gibson tenor at this local shop, but it's almost $2000.

I wish I could find a decent one (acoustic)--most of the ones on eBay either look like cheap old crap or they end up going for way too much money. Gold Tone and Lark in the Morning are the only places I know who make them aside from luthiers doing custom jobs, but they still seem pricey for something I just want to check out and mess around with.

Archived