Went to Ozzfest last night -- ZW content

curseoftruth

• Members

Took my kid to the free Ozzfest last night. I'm too old to go to a full day festival, so we just went after I got home from work and caught the last three bands: Static-X, Lamb of God and Ozzy.

I had read that due to the free ticket factor, many of the venues were not seeing even half of the tickets issued being used. Not the case in Dallas, the place was packed, I estimated about 15K people in the place, which is a massive amphitheater. Also, when I read the original announcements, the shows were supposed to have no reserved seats, all general admission. This was not the case as well. So we got stuck in the lawn, not really that big of a deal.

So to the bands and gear. Static-X was really pretty good. I enjoyed their brand of industrial metal. A 45 minute set was just enough. Then Lamb of God, someone should tell these boys to turn off the smoke machine -- it drenched the stage the entire set and made it difficult to see the band, even with video screens! The guitar players are huge shredders and excellent players. Just excellent tone as well. They play some really complex stuff and had some cool arrangements. They also got the crowd going big time. But after 30 minutes of being pummeled by screaming and death metal style vocals, I had enough and so did my kid. So we went to get some food and a drink. Another band where I think if they had clean vocals or a real singer, I'd be a huge fan.

Then Ozzy, the real reason we went to the show. I've seen Ozzy more times than I can count -- at least 8-9 times over the years solo. He is getting older for sure. His voice was shot, not sure if I've heard a professional and massively popular singer sound that bad ever. He kept apologizing and thanked the crowd for bearing with him and that he would do his best. It was heartfelt and the audience was very forgiving -- as was I. Remember, the man was in the hospital just 2 days ago getting a blood clot removed from his leg and was told not to perform, but he still did (I know, leg/throat, not much correlation). Played a somewhat short set due to his voice and let ZW play an extended solo and throw a really long solo into Suicide Solution.

So let's talk ZW! First, the man was wearing a skirt! OK, I know it was supposed to be a kilt but it was solid black, not plaid. My kid even noticed and pointed out that he was wearing a dress! I will say, this guy is really bigger than life. Had the mountain man biker look going (with a dress) with a fan blowing the long hair and striking the classic rock star poses. He was a blast to watch, I have to admit. Reminded of rock stars of old. He is a just a huge guitar player as well, the man can freaking play (and sing a ton of backup which really helped Ozzy). Did most of the Randy Rhoads stuff justice. He played 4 guitars, all Gibson. The main one was the SG/V hybrid thing we've discussed here, gotta admit a really cool guitar. Then he switched to a Flying V. Both had the trademark bullseye. Then he played a double neck Gibson SG (don't remember the model) for Mama I'm Coming Home. For Paranoid, he played a Les Paul that had the bottle caps all glued on the front of it, I hadn't seen that one in several years.

Gotta say, I was overall impressed with ZW and the audience loved him. He does do the guitar hero thing to the max and pulls it off. Yeah it's cheesy, but so what. But his extended solo -- man, it seemed to be 10 minutes of the same shred licks over and over and over. Being a guitar fan, I was bored. Then he went into the Star Spangled Banner, complete with him being placed over a waving American flag on the video monitors. Was good, but not close to the Hendrix version. Speaking of Hendrix, ZW played behind his head and with his teeth a number of times through the night.

Say what you will about him, there is really nobody else living the guitar god image like him.

• Members

Thanks for the show report.

I have heard from several people that Ozzy's voice is about gone for good. He needs to take a year off of touring and work with a professional voice coach, but I doubt he ever will. I have always liked ZW's guitar work with Ozzy, if only he wasn't such a endorsement whore. The man is everywhere in all the guitar mags....

• Members

I don't know what it is about Zakk Wylde.... in interviews he is an idiot. He just says the stupidest {censored} and can hardly complete a sentence....

But, for some reason I like him. Partly cause he's a very good guitar player and also cause he plays Les Pauls through Marshalls, which is my favorite combo.

• Members

Then Ozzy, the real reason we went to the show. I've seen Ozzy more times than I can count -- at least 8-9 times over the years solo.

Dude, you got 10 fingers (hopefully). Couldn't you count at least that high? :lol:

Nice that you took your kid to a metal fest. Good Daddy!! :wave:

• Members

Cool report. I don't think I would be brave enough to take my kid (well he's not quite 6 yet) and the 8 year old, she would like to see the Dixie Chicks, but that's for mom to take her, not dad. So anyway, I think I agree about ZW being one of the few Guitar Gods right now. Appropriate he's doing it with Ozzy, a shame about his voice. I saw Ozzy a couple of times with Jake E. Lee, who was incredible live (never saw anyone play upside down while being dragged by the hair). It's been far too long that I've been to a good live rock show.

• Members

Dude, you got 10 fingers (hopefully). Couldn't you count at least that high?
:lol:

Nice that you took your kid to a metal fest. Good Daddy!!
:wave:

I don't want to expend the brain power to figure out how many times I've seen Ozzy live since 1982. I'm an old dude and have been to hundreds of concerts and festivals, and I've just seen him a lot of times. Who really gives a {censored}, I've seen him a lot of times! I used to be that guy that went to every concert that came to town back in the 80s and early 90s, which meant almost one a week for years and years and then throw in the big festivals I've been to and tons of club shows as well (and that's not counting the shows I've played). Hell, just in the last year I've been to Tool, Heaven and Hell, Alice in Chains, and Ozzfest! A lot of metal for a 41 year old.

And the crowd was much more subdued -- which is a trend I've noticed at concerts in recent years. Less cigarettes even. A lot less pot. And there were a ton of kids there as well.

• Members
I don't to expend the brain power to figure out how many times I've seen Ozzy live since 1982. I'm an old dude and have been to hundreds of concerts and festivals, and I've just seen him a lot of times. Who really give a {censored}, I've seen him a lot of times! I used to be that guy that went to every concert that came to town back in the 80s and early 90s, which meant almost one a week for years and years and then throw in the big festivals I've been to. Hell, just in the last year I've been to Tool, Heaven and Hell, Alice in Chains, and Ozzfest! A lot of metal for a 41 year old.

And the crowd was much more subdued -- which is a trend I've noticed at concerts in recent years. Less cigarettes even. A lot less pot. And there were a ton of kids there as well.

41 is the new 30, remember that.:D

• Members

it's a dean, but he's also got one made by gibson

Was not a Dean, they had it up on the big video a ton of times with great shots of the Gibson headstock. No doubt it was Gibson. In fact, my first thought was he was playing Dean before they showed it on the screen and I'm surprised he didn't play a Dime being he was in Pantera's home town most metal musicians seem to do some type of Dime tribute when they come here.

The guitar was not the "muddy" finish either, it was a totally clean bullseye finish.

• Members

Meh Zakk today is OK. He was so much better early on IMO. He used to play like a guitar hero in the day now he just looks like one more than sounding like one.

Ive gone too 5 Ozzfests and about 12 Ozzy shows. And these last couple years rank as some of the worst performaces Ive seen from Ozzy and Zakk alike.

Hard Partying does take its toll btw. Oh what Id give for the days of Jake and Rhoads but sadly thats long gone.

Congrats on enjoying Ozzfest and Free is always good yet the $8 beers and $4 Hot Dogs,etc... on top of $20 + for parking ads up quick.

how much were the T shirts about $30-$40?

Sharon still makes tons off of concession and memrobilia sales.

• Members

Was not a Dean, they had it up on the big video a ton of times with great shots of the Gibson headstock. No doubt it was Gibson. In fact, my first thought was he was playing Dean before they showed it on the screen and I'm surprised he didn't play a Dime being he was in Pantera's home town most metal musicians seem to do some type of Dime tribute when they come here.

yeah, he used a Gibby for the rockhonors too....but there's ia a dean..if the link works, the pic should be proof

i have also seen his gibby...i hated it!

• Members

I think it is pretty {censored}in cool

that's fine, it sounds amazing(prolly the same pup config he always uses..which has always rocked)

i just think it looks like an abomination unto 2 very awesome gibson designs

• Members
Meh Zakk today is OK. He was so much better early on IMO. He used to play like a guitar hero in the day now he just looks like one more than sounding like one.

Ive gone too 5 Ozzfests and about 12 Ozzy shows. And these last couple years rank as some of the worst performaces Ive seen from Ozzy and Zakk alike.

Hard Partying does take its toll btw. Oh what Id give for the days of Jake and Rhoads but sadly thats long gone.

Congrats on enjoying Ozzfest and Free is always good yet the $8 beers and $4 Hot Dogs,etc... on top of $20 + for parking ads up quick.

how much were the T shirts about $30-$40?

Sharon still makes tons off of concession and memrobilia sales.

I've seen ZW with Ozzy a number of times and I think this was his best performance by far, even better than the early days. He was a blast to watch -- I though I was going to despise him but I didn't! I saw him on the first tour he did with Ozzy (terrible Ozzy record I might add, the one with Crazy Babies on it). I really never have liked the music Ozzy did with ZW honestly. The first 4 Ozzy albums are by far and away the best and Ultimate Sin being the most under-rated, great record with no filler. Ozzy hates it and refuses to re-release though! Ozzy, I hate to say it though, should retire -- but not until they do a final Sabbath album and farewell tour :D (I have seen Sabbath with Ozzy in 2001 and Ozzy sounded great then).

I've seen Ozzy with Jake E. Lee a bunch as well, Jake could also play and was a hell of a showman.

While I still think ZW is a douche, he was fun to watch. I like a good show and bigger than life rock stars. Reminds of the artists that were around when I was kid.

• Members

apparently Dean originally made him the SG/V thing and Gibson went ape{censored} because they pay him to play their stuff. So they made the same guitar with a slightly different shape and that's what he's been using.

I'm not a big fan of it to be honest it's an ugly looking thing.

While we're talking about ZW, what was the split headstock LP shaped guitar he played on the Live n Loud dvd ? Haven't seen him play that one for years, nor the Lp Std with the red bullseye pattern on it

Archived