epiphone valve junior combo.

DiLsHnIcK

• Members

Originally posted by DiLsHnIcK

yep, the one with 2 pinstripes(newer model) redesigned to get rid of the humming.

Are you saying there is a redesigned combo with 2 pinstripes instead of 3? or just that that the head version is a newer model and was redesigned?

Probably just the head right?

• Members

Originally posted by Judge Groovyman

Are you saying there is a redesigned combo with 2 pinstripes instead of 3? or just that that the head version is a newer model and was redesigned?

the 'new' combos have had the issue resolved, and the heads too. i dunno how to id them by stripe though.

• Members

Originally posted by Judge Groovyman

no on the combo. from what i have read, the old humming version has 3 pinstripes on the faceplate. the new version only has 2 pinstripes. i bought a 2 pinstripe one and no major hum.

• Members

It was something about the ground loop and the chassis I think. If you actually did end up with a humming VJ you could easily take it back and swap it out.

I seriously want to do the Mercury Mod. I had the head and sold it because I was basically able to get the same sound if not better sounds out of my Peavey Classic (old one) with a Chandler Tube Driver at more reasonable volumes. But then I saw this! No {censored}, it's expensive, but the sound is amazing for a $550 dollar amp.

http://www.amp-exchange.com/e107_plugins/flashmp3_menu/playmp3.php?Modified%20amp%20samples.xspf

• Members

Check the serial #--the combos from Dec.'05 & newer will be the improved version, so the first four digits of the serial # will be 1205--. Anything from '06 should be OK(XX06).

Also, check the back--old version has one opening/new version has two. :thu:

• 8 months later...
  • Members
it is the best $120 i ever spent on gear. it is perfect for what it is.

I agree that the valve series are the best bang for the buck small tube amps. I myself bought the valve standard and swapped out the 10" stock speaker and replaced it with a 12" (yes, 12" :)) eminance speaker and it absolutely rocks.:thu:

• Members
I'm thinking about getting one of these or a Fender Champion 600, I need something small to practice with while the wife and kids are asleep.
:thu:

I would think the Epi VJ would be way too loud for late night practice... PODs or V-Amps are perfect for that(and more).

They do sound pretty sweet though, and are definitely an awesome value.

Archived