how to reduce sustain on electric guitar

jackie_thompsen

• Members

Hi-

I've been playing an acoustic guitar for a couple months, and just got an electric guitar and small amp (epiphone lp special II, beringer v-tone gm108) yesterday.

It seems like my electric has just too much sustain - at least many times more than my acoustic guitar. It's making the sound so much muddier/blurrier/echoier than my acoustic ever sounded. The sound reminds me of a church organ. I was even trying to attach a rubber band to the strings to try to force notes to die out faster.

I've fiddled with all the knobs on my amp to no avail - it's on the most basic clean settings.

I'd experimented on two electrics before buying my own (a coworker's, and in the store) - I knew there would be more sustain, but not to the level of irritation. Is this normal?

Thanks

• Members

Hi-

I've been playing an acoustic guitar for a couple months, and just got an electric guitar and small amp (epiphone lp special II, beringer v-tone gm108) yesterday.

It seems like my electric has just too much sustain - at least many times more than my acoustic guitar. It's making the sound so much muddier/blurrier/echoier than my acoustic ever sounded. The sound reminds me of a church organ. I was even trying to attach a rubber band to the strings to try to force notes to die out faster.

I've fiddled with all the knobs on my amp to no avail - it's on the most basic clean settings.

I'd experimented on two electrics before buying my own (a coworker's, and in the store) - I knew there would be more sustain, but not to the level of irritation. Is this normal?

Thanks

See now if you overdrive that beast a little, you could probably come up with some killer rock riffs. For what you want however you might want to look into something with single coils. I'd recommend a good Strat.

• Members

Well this could be a first, someone actually wanting less sustain. Hopefully I am not feeding a troll, but as you are realizing, an acoustic and electric are very different. When you tried the other guitars, did you like the way they sounded? Is it your amp or your guitar tone you don't like? I am not sure there is a way to decrease sustain, without killing your tone. Try some different combo first, and see what you think.

• Members

I would think moving the pickup closer to the strings would cut the sustain, from the magnetic force on the strings??

please correct me if I'm wrong..

I think he would want to do the opposite of raising the pickups. Adjusting the pickups away from the strings will lower the volume and sustain.

• Members

You can use a piece of foam near the bridge to decrease sustain. This isn't very common for guitarists, but bass players used to do it routinely. That will give you a percussive sound like Les Paul would use on some songs.

However I suspect that technique is your real issue. If you are used to strumming first position chords on the acoustic you should try to use different chord voicings, in particular avoid chords with open strings unless you want sustained droning. Intead of strumming all six strings, just pick the strings selectively. There are also many ways to control sustain with both hands. On the left hand only fret the note for as long as it should sustain. On the right hand use your palm or fingers to mute the strings with undesirable sustain.

• Members

I think what's missed here is that acoustic and electric guitars are really very different instruments that require slightly different approaches. If you use the same technique on an electric that you use on an acoustic - open chords, strumming an 1/8 or 1/16 note pattern across all 6 strings - it's going to get pretty muddy and busy (Pete Townsend not withstanding). Chords on electric guitars often sound best with only 3 or 4 notes sounding, often only 2 as in a "power chord", and with either right or left hand muting to control the "envelope". Listen carefully to some recordings and see how electrics and acoustics are used differently and for different "roles" in an arrangement.

• Members

Electric guitar technique and acoustic guitar technique are most definitely different.

On acoustic, unplugged, you normally strum full chords and are usually banging away for volume. Lead work on acoustics is very nice also but some kind of amplification helps.

With electrics where all you have to do is turn up for more volume, muting and ending the note are common tricks for controlling unwanted sustain. The passage or the song has to end.

Partial chords on the higher strings reduces the sonic clutter of a full chord on an electric. Partial chords on the lower strings are usually called 'power chords' with just the index and pinky involved.

You might just turn down your whole rig to start with a nice clean, even-tempered sound and then increase as you get better. Over drive or too much gain might be too much for you to handle at this point.

The rest of us just love that stuff.

• Members

Dial out the mids? I have a similar problem since I play acoustic style on a semi-hollow. Sometimes it gets way too "boomy". I think it's less a sustain thing than an EQ thin? Tapping or splitting the humbuckers usually helps me out, but I'm interested in this as well.

Archived