Decisions, decisions...

blackpig

• Members

I'm selling some guitars to make room and I'm going to replace them with just one really good guitar. Help me decide which of these would be a good general purpose guitar for me - I play lots of folksy stuff with sometimes a dropped D:

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_taylor_314ce_western_prodinfo.html

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_taylor_414ce_westerngitarre_prodinfo.html

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?m=JC-16RGTE%20Premium&s=6&p=ge

I like the shape of these - a dreadnought with a narrower waist.

• Moderators

I come from the land of Taylor. They're here in San Diego and a lot of freinds and associates own and play these. I love them. My choice is the 314. It has wonderful transparent sound to it. The easiest guitar to record. It doesn't have the weird high bass resonance I find on a lot of the new Martins. I have not tried the Martin you're showing here however. Anyway... the 314 has a smaller sound that is just so inviting. As a matter of fact... if anyone is wondering what to buy me for my birthday...

• Members

The guitars in the links you provide all have different wood type for the back and sides (mahogany, ovangkol, rosewood).

The wood type drastically affects the feel, response and tone of the guitar.

You owe it to yourself to get to a dealer with as many Taylors or Martins or whatever brand you'd like so you can hear what's best for you. Experiencing similar guitars with different wood types (and experiencing several examples of the same model with the same wood type) is really eye (or ear) opening.

I like Taylors, too, but I went for a brand derived from it (Breedlove). Best wood type for me? Rosewood or Koa back and sides with a cedar top. But I'm not you.

Good luck in your search (it's part of the fun)!

• Members

I'd definitely prefer rosewood back and sides but find the Taylor 314 and 414 to be an interesting shape. I already have a rosewood dreadnought I made myself, along with a maple J200 copy and a rosewood Lowden S25, and a 12-string with a mahogany body. Dammit I can't afford a Taylor 714ce.

• Members

I think your choice should be narrowed to the the 314 and the martin. because of the mahogany and rosewood backs. However playing style individual playing characteristicsshould be the utmost concen. I think the fishman electronics though have a better pedigree than the Taylor espression pickup system. I've known taylors to be primarily great without electronics.

• Members

I have a Taylor 310 MCE Mahogany guitar. It's got a warm and balanced sound and an incredible neck and action. I too play a lot of Drop D songs. The mahogany makes for a pretty quiet guitar if played acoustically but I also have the Fishman rig for plugging in. It's painless.

Archived