someone please explain Carvin to me???

adambomb

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Multi-radius fingerboard? Is that an option that Carvin used to have but don't have anymore? Nowdays, on a DC127 you can get it with a 10", a 12", or a 14" fingerboard radius.

they offered the compound radius neck for a couple of years.

• Members

The REAL question is: Has the OP actually BOUGHT a Carvin? I am guessing no and he is trolling about a company he has NO actual experience with.
:rolleyes:

He never claimed to have any experience with the company. He's asking a reasonable question for somebody that hasn't bought from Carvin IMHO.

• Members

Am I a Carvin fanboy? I say no.

I still think Carvin makes a great product.

You don't sound like a fanboy to me, just somebody honestly relating their Carvin experiences as I often do. To me, a fanboy is somebody who refuses to acknowledge a company makes any mistakes at all, and accuses anybody with anything negative to say of being a troll. You don't seem to fit that definition.

Oh, and I don't know about Fender or Ibanez, but you can call Gibson support directly and speak to somebody. I've had really bad luck with Carvin support, but that's another story.

Also, the bigger companies have authorized repair centers all over the country, which is faster, cheaper and easier than shipping a product back to California.

• Members
I want all of kherman's guitars . . . .
:love:

Owning a Carvin is just a dream for me; I can't afford it right now. You guys a re lucky. I've just got a bunch of old Kramers and Agiles.

So you'd be a good one to answer the question. Why do you dream of Carvin instead of Fender, Gibson, PRS, Heritage or another quality brand?

• Members

You don't sound like a fanboy to me, just somebody honestly relating their Carvin experiences as I often do. To me, a fanboy is somebody who refuses to acknowledge a company makes any mistakes at all, and accuses anybody with anything negative to say of being a troll. You don't seem to fit that definition.

Man, I don't want to sound condescending, because that's not the way I mean it, but your responses in this thread have been excellent. Your experience is valuable in these threads - I mentioned it in my post above - and it's nice to see that you and I can both post without incurring the defensiveness we sometimes provoke.

Carvin does have a ten day return policy, with no questions asked. That does seem a bit short for a company that is strictly mail order, but my limited experience is that in this they do a great job.

The real problem with their customer service seems to be in other areas - getting a hold of them to ask questions, get repairs or parts, etc seems to be far less of a priority to them, and is definitely something I'd like to see improved.

That said, the people at the BBS can be really helpful, and a few salespeople post there as well who are willing to answer questions about repairs and parts.

• Members

He never claimed to have any experience with the company. He's asking a reasonable question for somebody that hasn't bought from Carvin IMHO.

A reasonable person would realize that satisfied customers don't post to support forums.

I've owned both a Carvin bass and guitar (as well as an amp) and never had any issues with them.

• Members

A reasonable person would realize that satisfied customers don't post to support forums.

Carvin doesn't have "support forums". Generally if somebody posts over there and complains the thread is locked and the OP directed to call support. They're a little more tolerant than they used to be though, so some mild complaining is allowed.

If you don't think happy customers post in the Carvin forums, clearly you've never been there.

• Members
Carvin doesn't have "support forums". Generally if somebody posts over there and complains the thread is locked and the OP directed to call support. They're a little more tolerant than they used to be though, so some mild complaining is allowed.

If you don't think happy customers post in the Carvin forums, clearly you've never been there.

Ok. So, they are not "official support" forums, you get my point. ;)

• Members
Ok. So, they are not "official support" forums, you get my point.
;)

But your point is wrong. Complaints aren't allowed there. Their forums are for fanboys and the majority of the posts are people raving about their products.

• Members

I've had problems with Carvin in the past.. And to their credit they went above and beyond what I expected to rectify the situation.

carvin003.jpg
That was a neck I had a serious problem with.

CarvinBP003.jpg
This is the neck it was replaced with.. The extras they threw in including free case and free overnight shipping went beyond what I felt they needed to do and helped turn me from a critic to some one that appreciates their product.

This is my second and its easy to see why I appreciate this instrument.:thu:
DC135.jpg

Like I said earlier. I ordered my 3rd a few days ago. At one point I was convinced I'd never own a Carvin product. To their credit, they changed my mind:) But I gave them the opportunity to do so.. They make their share of mistakes, no question.. Probably no more or less than any one else but it's been my experience (and others too apparently from this thread) that if you give them the opportunity to rectify the situation, they will..

• Members

So you'd be a good one to answer the question. Why do you dream of Carvin instead of Fender, Gibson, PRS, Heritage or another quality brand?

Carvins are simply beautiful guitars with outstanding features & finish. I know they're well made. They look to be worth what you pay.

I could spend as much on a Fender, but I doubt I'd get a guitar that plays as well, or is as well made. Still, I'd like to have a nice Telecaster one day.

Gibsons are ridiculously overpriced, especially the Les Pauls; I doubt I'll ever own one. The quality of Gibson guitars certainly does not justify the price of a Les Paul. However, I might go for a SG or Flying V some day.

PRS guitars are obscenely overpriced, and they stopped producing the 25" scale, 24 fret dream machine a few years ago. There's no way on earth I'd drop six grand on a guitar, unless I was a well-paid professional musician. I'm sure I'll never own a PRS guitar.

In the price range, I doubt you can really do better than a Carvin.

• Members

all i know, is that i bought my carvin dc200K in '84, have been using it continuously ever since, and it's still my main guitar...
and that's among a posse of 3 custom built to spec guitars...

it's no different than buying any other product, IN THIS PRICE BREAK...

there's no point in comparing them against PRS and the like, unless you start factoring in price, what you get for what you pay, and ultimately, tone and playablity.

me, i ditched the electronics, and started from scratch...
i even shaved the neck....
then it was perfect for me.

YMMV

• Members

I have LP's, strats, a tele- tons of {censored}. When I am feeling lazy and /or have not played in a while I always pick up my DC135T. Super low action- it plays itself. Best part is I got it used for $400 with a tweed case.

• Members

Is there any truth to the rumors about changing pickups on Carvin guitars being more difficult, or requiring additional modifications, then other guitars? For instance, If I bought a DC-127 would it be easy to replace the Humbuckers with some non Carvin brand pickups??

• Members

I'd like to point out, as a Carvin owner, that the product has performed fine. Let me also add that I have other guitars that I love, as well. At least one trumps it in every way (for me).

I have a Holdsworth; I bought it from the in-stock page about 6 years ago.

I've changed pickups with no humbug.

I developed an issue, after 4 years, with a switch and Sperzel...They sent me new parts with no questions asked.

Remember everybody that the 10 day trial is about whether or not you like the guitar. For any manufacturing issues that become a challenge to playability, the company offers quite a bit of support. In fact, I'd say they really go as far as they can. This is not limited to 10 days.

As far as headstock aesthetics, ??? buy a belt sander or buy a Fender...

There's lots of choices out there. no one says that Carvin is the best, only, or most beautiful. Taste is taste, not reality.

Z

• Members

Is there any truth to the rumors about changing pickups on Carvin guitars being more difficult, or requiring additional modifications, then other guitars? For instance, If I bought a DC-127 would it be easy to replace the Humbuckers with some non Carvin brand pickups??

I think that only applies to the 7 string models. The stock pickups sounded pretty good to me. I was expecting to replace them when I got my DC-127 but after hearing them decided to keep them.

Archived