First Crappy Digital Recording with Audacity

curseoftruth

• Members

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=739885

Not worried about really blowing away the recording equipment -- all I used was a cheap mic I have plugged into my microphone input on the side of my computer. Drums are from a Zoom Rhythm Track and the guitar is my Epi LP Custom played through a Roland Microcube. No pedals or anything.

The purpose of this is so my band mates can have something to work with to write melodies, bass parts, and lyrics for. I'll remove the drum track and have one for the drummer to work with.

Any suggestion on how to make things less fuzzy in the future are welcome!

Here is the "studio" :D

cheapstudio.jpg

• Members
Any suggestion on how to make things less fuzzy in the future are welcome!

Better gear. :p

Failing that though, back off the input volume first and the gain second. Try doing Control Panel -> Sounds And Audio Devices -> Volume -> Advanced -> Microphone (turn it down some). If your level is too low you can always normalize or bump the fader... if it's too high there's nothing to be done.

I kinda dig the sweaty lo- fi sound, though. :D

Nice riffs. :thu:

• Members

Was played at really low volumes already, probably just need to to move the mic back some more. Lots of experimenting to do! Gonna be fun. I'll turn the mic volume down, it was set too high.

That song is pieced together with about 6 tracks for various parts.

I am a director over large scale/enterprise Web development projects, you'd think I'd be more sophisticated with this stuff! I am not afraid of technology at all and deal with some cutting edge stuff daily -- but the whole world of digital recording is new to me.

And I have plenty of good gear! Just needed something close to the computer!

marshall-orange.jpg

jamroom.jpg

• Members
Was played at really low volumes already, probably just need to to move the mic back some more. Lots of experimenting to do! Gonna be fun. I'll turn the mic volume down, it was set too high.

That song is pieced together with about 6 tracks for various parts.

I am a director over large scale/enterprise Web development projects, you'd think I'd be more sophisticated with this stuff! I am not afraid of technology at all and deal with some cutting edge stuff daily -- but the whole world of digital recording is new to me.

About all I can come up with is that audio is insane. :freak:

If you want to get into it, the Toneport UX1 looks like a great entry- level deal to me: cheap, seems to have everything you need to get the basics rolling, and probably pretty n00b- friendly. My Guitarport was easy as hell to set up.

*edit* I meant better PC recording gear... I've been around, I know you've got good guitar gear. :D

• Members

Couple of hints.

1. Use less distortion on the guitar - what sounds good live is usually overkill for recording. Distortion makes it hard to pick out the notes your playing.

2. Digital recording requires that you NEVER go into the red, EVER. All levels at all time must stay under the RED.

Everybody wants to record as if your going to tape, where a little tape compression glues the mix together. Not so with digital. Keep levels a few clicks down from the red, and your mixes will works a bit better.

3. Avoid any effects for these types of demos. No reverb, no chorus, no delays.

4. Get a Compressor. A compressor is the easier way to keep your recording levels managed.

Otherwise I like the tone your getting out of that little amp, just dial it back a bit so you're not clipping the recorded track or the output. You'll find that 4 hot tracks will boil over at the mix-down, and you'll be turning tracks down (which translates into lost dynamics and headroom) to do a clean mix (NO OVERS).

Some simple rules to follow that will go a long way toward making your material more useable.

• Members

if ive recorded something on audacity and its clipping that bad, just go on effects, then click compressor, then ok on the compressor screen. then click on normalize, then ok on that screen and its fine from there

now i just record with my guitar plugged straight into the laptop and re-amp it, very bassically by just running the laptop headphone out into my amp, then back into the mic in sounds way better!

• Members

if ive recorded something on audacity and its clipping that bad, just go on effects, then click compressor, then ok on the compressor screen. then click on normalize, then ok on that screen and its fine from there

now i just record with my guitar plugged straight into the laptop and re-amp it, very bassically by just running the laptop headphone out into my amp, then back into the mic in sounds way better!

Orrrr, just check the levels before you start recording...

Archived