Can somebody advise?

jumpduck

• Members

I have 2 old dimarzios, a super distortion, and what I believe they called a PAF back then, These pickups are about 30 years old; I've had them put away for a long time. I want to put them in my son's epiphone SG. The question is, they have 2 leads, wraped in metal braid: is the braid a ground that must be connected, or is it just old school shielding?

• Members

I would connect it to ground. If either of the PU's have a metal cover (chrome, nickel), then it is probably the ground for the cover/baseplate that would allow for a phase switch or even parallel/series switching without giving up the shielding effects of the cover. If not, then it probably isn't necessary but would prove to be a good shield for the wires if connected to ground.

• Members
I would connect it to ground. If either of the PU's have a metal cover (chrome, nickel), then it is probably the ground for the cover/baseplate that would allow for a phase switch or even parallel/series switching without giving up the shielding effects of the cover. If not, then it
probably
isn't necessary but would prove to be a good shield for the wires if connected to ground.

If it helps, this is what they look like.
dimarzio1.jpg

dimarzio2.jpg

• Members

Always connect the shield to ground. You can't go wrong that way. It's really the only way a shield actually shields against bleed - if it's grounded.

+1

Yep, in this case, its purpose is to act as shielding for the leads. But shielding is all but useless unless grounded.

Archived