Anyone finished a guitar in Tung or Linseed oil?

rememberduane

• Members

When I nabbed my US made Koa Charvel from a pawn shop, it was in pretty rough shape... the wood was dull and had some good scratches in it.

charvel2.jpg

I took the whole thing apart and sanded it down to the bare wood... then I slowly started building up layers of tung oil. First coat:

charvel7.jpg

I'd let each coat dry overnight, then I'd lightly buff it with some steel wool, wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth, and apply the next coat.

charvel9.jpg

I built up 4 or 5 coats on the neck (remaining satin to the touch) and about 8 coats on the body (building to a gloss... note the reflections)

charvel11.jpg

charvel12.jpg

Finished Guitar:

charvel5.jpg

It's got a warm, open, resonant feel when playing it... much better than sticky poly... but the wood just looks fantastic... looks like WOOD, not plastic.

• Members

Never done a guitar in either but I've done a few shotguns in both Tru-Oil and straight linseed oil.

The biggest difference between linseed and Tru-Oil is that, as was previously mentioned, Tru-Oil is modified with hardeners and drying agents giving the finish a glossy lacquer like look that mostly sits "on" the wood.

A linseed oil finish is a long slow process and is a finish that is "in" the wood. It penetrates the pores, usually darkens the wood somewhat, dries slowly and leaves that "oil finished gunstock" look. It is less glossy and over time it builds up to a warm glow. That said, if you don't let it soak in and dry sufficiently between coats it will be tacky (as in sticky) for a while.

Gunstocks are usually walnut and the rule of thumb for a linseed oil finish is one coat a day for a week, one coat a week for a month, one coat a month for a year, one coat a year for life.

Too much information, I know. But I love the idea. Let me know if you go the linseep oil route. I'd love to see pics.

• Members

When I nabbed my US made Koa Charvel from a pawn shop, it was in pretty rough shape... the wood was dull and had some good scratches in it.

charvel2.jpg

I took the whole thing apart and sanded it down to the bare wood... then I slowly started building up layers of tung oil. First coat:

charvel7.jpg

I'd let each coat dry overnight, then I'd lightly buff it with some steel wool, wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth, and apply the next coat.

charvel9.jpg

I built up 4 or 5 coats on the neck (remaining satin to the touch) and about 8 coats on the body (building to a gloss... note the reflections)

charvel11.jpg
charvel12.jpg

Finished Guitar:

charvel5.jpg

It's got a warm, open, resonant feel when playing it... much better than sticky poly... but the wood just looks fantastic... looks like WOOD, not plastic.

Looks great:thu: Did you use the steel wool for the final gloss finish or something else?

• Members

FYI, Linseed Oil never dries. It soaks into the wood. Get the wood warm enough and it will come right back out. It's {censored} for a finish unless you your guitar greasy. What is referred to as tung oil is not tung oil. It is varnish using tung oil as a base instead of pine resin. Same goes for Birchwood Casey's TruOil finish. It is a varnish based on a boiled (reduced down to a varnish) linseed oil with driers and hardeners (polyesters) added. We used to call it linspeed oil as it dried very quickly to a hard finish.

• Members

FYI, Linseed Oil never dries. It soaks into the wood. Get the wood warm enough and it will come right back out. It's {censored} for a finish unless you your guitar greasy. What is referred to as tung oil is not tung oil. It is varnish using tung oil as a base instead of pine resin. Same goes for Birchwood Casey's TruOil finish. It is a varnish based on a boiled (reduced down to a varnish) linseed oil with driers and hardeners (polyesters) added. We used to call it linspeed oil as it dried very quickly to a hard finish.

Great, thanks for the info! So I should check out TruOil finish if I don't want a greasy guitar? I'm looking for as little finish as possible without leaving the wood dangerously bare.

• Members

Tung oil is great for natural finish and leaves the wood pores looking more open. TruOil fills the pores and can be buffed like glass with a mild polishing compound. I use the palm of my hand to apply it and rub until my hand just starts to Stick or "shudder" over the finish, then move on the next area. Neat thing about the TruOil is if you decide the high gloss isn't what you want, 0000 steel wool will dull it perfectly to a satin "hand rubbed" finish. I like them both.

Archived