Wow, just had a chance encounter with Carlos Santana!

Karma1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I recently saw Midge Ure in Pizza Hut in Bath (UK) with his kids. I was a bit surprised to see him in Pizza Hut. Me and my brother spent the whole time giggling and glancing over in a corner, wondering if we should order him a 'Vienna' icecream. When one of his daughters didn't finish her pizza, my bro wondered whether he said something like 'there are starving children in Africa who would eat that'...

I also once saw Michael Foot (OK, not a rock star, but Labour Party leader), getting into a first class carriage of a train. Not impressed.

• Members

Well, I had dinner last night with an ex-CIA operations agent. he's the guy who served as technical adviser for the Movie Sneakers with Robert Redford, Ben Kingsley, Sidney Poitier, et al... not as cool as meeting a rock star, but hey, it was a Wednesday night in Maine, so not a bad deal. For the record, the guy in question is one cool dude. Hell, we were eating at this neat little sushi place and he ordered his damn sake in Japanese... how cool is that, if, like me, you're a geek? :D

• Members

I once saw Carlos in a really good (and reasonably priced) vegetarian restaurant called Dipti Nivas that his wife owned/ran. I didn't bother him, though - I can never think of anything to say when I run into big stars. Same thing happened when I had a backstage pass to a Sting concert and saw the man himself. We did party with some of the band members afterwards, though.

• Members

Don't want to spoil your fun but, Carlos may never get around listening to your CD. I heard many years ago that when high profile musicians receive unsolicited music offerings, they throw it right in the trash for fear of getting sued. :freak:

...of course all that could have changed with the effect the web has had in broadening overall availability/distribution of music in recent years. :idk:

• Members

Very cool story... glad your were able to give him a "thank you" gift for what he's meant to your playing.

As for the comment about Carlos "...not be a 'rock star' somehow..." I think that there are a fair amount of 'stars' who can be pretty approachable if you do like you did and simply treat 'em with respect (e.g., say a simple "thank you" to them and not act like some crazed stalker or autograph hound).

I've been lucky enough to meet a few over the years and have found most to be pretty down to earth...

BB King and Les Paul are probably to 2 most humble down to earth "stars" I've ever met (twice each)... true gentlemen with a lot of class.

Penn and Teller were fun to meet (in an airport) - my wife was afraid to ask 'em for an autograph so she sent me over. Penn was too funny when he wrote "Yes, he does speak" (in reference to Teller) after I made a comment that my wife wouldn't believe me when I told her I actual spoke to both of them.

Glenn Frey was pretty down to earth... said no autographs because if he signed 1 then he'd have to sign a zillion - but he did spend some time shaking hands and talking with us.

Same thing for Patrick Ewing - he actually talked to my 7 y/o son about the Space Jam movie (since that is how my son knows him). He shoke his hand and chatted but wouldn't do autographs (I don't blame him since there were about 100 people around the gate at the airport).

Gary Rossington, Leon Wilkeson and Ed King were cool (signed autographs, etc.) at a charity softball game in Atlanta back in the late '80's.

Hughie Thomasson, Henry Paul and Chris Anderson were also really cool hanging out with some home town fans (twice - after 2 shows in St. Pete).

Dickey Betts seemed rushed (but did sign an autograph for me).

Tina Turner is one that I didn't approach as she was having dinner with her husband and family in Zurich Switzerland 2 tables from me (I was there on business)... just didn't seem right to interrupt in that setting.

Hulk Hogan (lives here locally) is always ready to say Hi to fans (especially kids) when I've run into him (airport, local film shoot, etc.).

• Members

having lived there for 5 years, i will attest to this statement.

Yup, they're everywhere. I played a sub in gig with a modern rock band (we did mostly covers) and the drummer from Alice in Chains came in.. He said we sounded good! I've had a lot of encounters that I was unaware of until after the fact (the person leaves then someone says 'that was so-and-so')

• Members

i worked for 7 months in burbank at warner brothers... i didnt see or meet one single celebrity... well, unless you count the chicks auditioning for elimidate upstairs.

all the celebrities i have met other places have been pretty cool though. just normal people, with more money than me :p

• Members

By now, most of you probably know my association with Brian Johnson.
But gigging back in the day, my band got a chance to open for quite a few National acts and i have gotten a chance to meet many people.
I've never met any one who had a rock star attitude. Its all about how you approach them and treat them. If you treat them like they are just people they will respect you for it and see you as an equal fellow citizen of the planet as opposed to an annoying pestering star struck crazy person.

Here is another story about encounters with stars that happened to me around 2000. My girlfriend Heidi, at the time was an ex Hooters waitress and she had been Very good friends with Vince Neals Wife also named Heidi and they had kept in touch all through the years. By then, Heidi Had a hit show on one of the major networks and was already a star herself. Anyway, Motley Crue Was comming to Tampa on their Tour, original lineup, and Heidi arranged for me, a couple of my friends and a few Hooters girls to go to the show, get all access backstage, and just a few of us ended up hanging out with Motley crue on their Tour Bus after the show. You think wow! Wild crazy party woo hoo!!! Nope we all just kind of hung out and talked about nothing in particular just like any other normal people would do. At first, it was just us, Mick Marz and Vince Neil on the bus, and then Tommy comes on the bus and says, Hey wow, hello! Whats going on guys? Mind if I hang out with you guys? We were very suprised. It was his tour bus and he was asking us if we minded. He was just a big happy nice guy who seemed like a kid having the time of his life and neither he or Vince or Mick treated us with anything other than respect. It was a really cool experience and I have always had good things to say about them as people ever since. People are people, and if you treat them with resect and in a non threatening manner, they will usually treat you the same way.
The Rest of the guys in my band had almost the exact same experience with some of the guys in Ratt, Warren DiMartini, and Michael Schenker was there also, and the same thing happened where those guys were asking my friends if they would let them party with them. They all went out to eat and partied on that bus too. I missed that one. They said the same thing about them, that they were all really down to earth and just people like every one else.

• Members

alot of musicians and movie stars have such heavy workloads that they are probably every bit as excited as you to hang out with new people.

the only times ive come away with bad impressions from famous people are from work. some of them are dicks, but thats not exclusive to celebrity.

im mostly oblivious to these people around me actually. i was in line at an airport and jerome iginla (nhl superstar) was in front of me. my brother say "omg! do you know who that is?!". i responded "someone with a suitcase?". then my brother asked for an autograph and a photo and then all the other passengers in line swarmed around. i felt so bad. but the guy was happy to do it. not tolerant, but happy.

• Members
Hulk Hogan (lives here locally) is always ready to say Hi to fans (especially kids) when I've run into him (airport, local film shoot, etc.).

Do me a favor and tell him he's extremely washed up and should stop coming back to wrestle.

• Members
Do me a favor and tell him he's extremely washed up and should stop coming back to wrestle.

Hulk Hogan is another one that I bump into all the time in Clearwater, and he is another great really nice person. He's probably one of THE most accessible stars out there.
As far a him being washed up? Mabye he can't do what he used to be able to do and his wrestling days are mostly over, but he still has TONS of fans that idolize him and if he wants to put on a little show for their benefit every once in a while, how could you have a problem with that? So what if hes a little worn; his fans don't seem to mind. In fact they seem to love it every time hecomes back, so if you don't want to see it, my advice to you is to stay home.:o

• Members

Very cool- Carlos is one of the few celebs I have ever met too. He was staying at a hotel here once while I was attending a wedding reception. Me and a few friends ran into him in the hall and he actually invited us into his room to chat for a while. He was very cool and struck me as quite spiritual- He wrote me an autograph telling me to let my fingers play the feelings of my heart (I told him I played guitar)

• Members

I stumbled into a block party on Music Row in Nashville many years ago. I was standing next to Chet Atkins, but didn't bother him. A woman came up to him and asked for an autograph and he refused her. At first I thought he was being a dick, but it was a party for for the industry, and we were outsiders, so I can understand him not wanting to be bothered.

Archived