music stores in New York

Hagront

• Members

I don't know about the cheapest prices but you should definitely hit 46th St., or Music Row as it's known, between Broadway and 5th Ave I think. There's Manny's Music where Hendrix used to buy gear and Alex Music as well as bunch of smaller shops. Also check out Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleecker St. in the West Village. They've got some awesome gear in there. And I would hit Chelsea Guitars on 23rd St. It's just down the street from the Chelsea Hotel which is also a good rock n' roll stop on a NYC tour. Dylan lived there and that's where Sid killed Nancy. It don't get more rock n' roll than that.

• Members

I remember when I was about 16 going to Manny's. Jammed with some dude who was playing bass. Although I had to hand the employee my wallet before he'd let me try out a guitar. My bro. and friend and I saw Paul Stanley coming out as we went in.

It should be a fun time! Enjoy it :)

• Members

I was in Manhattan this summer. Manny's was fun because it's MANNY's. But other than that there are plenty of guitar stores that carry about what they do. No great deals either. I did get my Manny's t-shirt though.

Sam Ash across the street is about the same In fact Manny's is owned by Sam Ash now.
Rudy's, just down the block is great for high end stuff. Out of my $ league, but a great place to drool.

• Members
I'm going to travel to New York soon and I would really like to visit some music stores while I'm there.

Does anyone know the best places with the cheapest prices?

;)

if you want cheap, don't try to buy a guitar in NYC. Used guitars are generally 25%-50% above market value, and there's so many rich people here willing to plunk down the cash that stores can get away with it.

That being said, NYC is haven for used and vintage guitar stores. Check out the Guitar Center on 14th St (no joke, the vintage room is huge and their collection is {censored}ing tits), Rudy's, Manny's and Sam Ash on 48th. Check out Ludlow Guitars on Ludlow St. and Rivington Guitars on Rivington St. Southside Guitars in Williamsburg is pretty cool too. Also, I don't know if you wanna drive out that far, but Music Services in Wantaugh has a damn good collection of cool used Gibsons and Fenders. Their prices are going to be more reasonable than anything in the 5 boroughs.

Archived