Gibson truck stolen

Treborklow

• Members

More news: I just heard that the truck and trailer have been recovered but the guitars are gone. They figure that the guitars are already out of the country.

The truck will be back on the road with some new stock very soon. It's a fun time so I recommend that anyone who likes Gibsons, stop and see it when it comes near you.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
More news: I just heard that the truck and trailer have been recovered but the guitars are gone. They figure that the guitars are already out of the country.

The truck will be back on the road with some new stock very soon. It's a fun time so I recommend that anyone who likes Gibsons, stop and see it when it comes near you.

They are well on their way to China where they will be considered "fakes" there as those people prefer Made in China! :thu:

• Members

I just can't get on board with the jokes. I think people who steal guitars should be castrated, even if they steal 'em from a corporation.

What if the thief was a woman?

Should she be ...genitally mutilated? I'm just asking.

Is there a particular reason theft of guitars should be punished more harshly than theft of money? What about people who steal wheelchairs? What about people who steal mandolins?

Personally, I'm against people who steal guitars. But I'm not so sure about people who steal drum kits. I mean..

• Members
I saw the truck in Chicago this past June at the Blues Festival... very cool. Sucks

that somebody snagged it. Hopefully they can catch 'em. For those of you who

haven't seen it before, here's what it is (or was) like...

GibsonTruck01.jpg

GibsonTruck06.jpg

noooo way. noooo way someone stole that thing. I mean, you would hear the shiz turn on, if you were in a hotel, and it's soo huge, how would any joe blow off the street drive that thing?

• Members

noooo way. noooo way someone stole that thing. I mean, you would hear the shiz turn on, if you were in a hotel, and it's soo huge, how would any joe blow off the street drive that thing?

Yes way. It is pulled by a large pickup truck. One of those with the double back wheels. It was jump started, at least that's what the Gibson rep who it was stolen from, suspects. They didn't leave the keys in it. It may be a 40 foot trailer, but it's not very heavy to pull around.

• Members

But seriously, I was on that truck with my son for about 4 hours a week and a half ago. The guitars in there were ALL Custom Shop stuff that averaged about $6,500 retail.

No joke, every damn one of them were beautifuly set up and played great. I estimate about 25 guitars total on display, maybe more somehere else on board. Someone right now is playing the 61 LP that I fell in love with.....oh well.

So at least we know Gibson DOES have guitars that are set up properly and play fine. Too bad they're all gone now...

-Mc

• Members

I heard they found the truck in a pond :confused:

• Members

I saw the truck in Chicago this past June at the Blues Festival... very cool. Sucks

that somebody snagged it. Hopefully they can catch 'em. For those of you who

haven't seen it before, here's what it is (or was) like...

was that at the crossroads festival?

I was there, it was awesome, had a great time.

• Members

was that at the crossroads festival?

I was there, it was awesome, had a great time.

Nope (I WISH I was at Crossroads) - it was at the Chicago Blues Festival the second week of June... I've got other pics of the Blues Fest that I plan to post in another thread - good times and good music! :thu:

What I noticed that was odd when I was there was the lack of supervision inside the truck. They had a big guy at the door (see photo) so you couldn't just walk out with one. However, it felt a little like being at Guitar Center (but with MUCH nicer guitars than most!). I played on a Johnny A, Historic Les Paul R0, 335, and an L5 and the guy working the truck didn't really say anything to me - I'd just walk up to one and take it down and sit down on a stool and try it out. In fact at one point, another "customer" like me turned and handed me his guitar - thinking I worked there I believe - guess the "famous guitars" shirt I was wearing may have been a contributing factor :)

Anyway, it seemed to me that the real workers spent more time watching those people playing the guitars outside of the truck, under at the "listening station" tents - and the thing is that these were the Gibson USA and Epiphone guitars. The Custom Shop stuff (in the truck) actually had LESS supervision by the workers :freak:

Archived