This will be my next guitar (Navigator content)!

Hoddy

• Members

geez..thats really nice but a bit pricey, don't you think? You could easily get a custom shop gibson for 2700-2800.

I have heard great things about NMavigators, but you know...

I'd take the Navigator over the Gibson anyday, I believe the luthiers at Navigator are better and more consistent than Gibson's.

• Members
I'd take the Navigator over the Gibson anyday, I believe the luthiers at Navigator are better and more consistent than Gibson's.

Based on what?... Internet heresay?... :rolleyes:

Tell you what this guy has thats just the cats {censored}in pyjamas (I have one of these.. I sold my Gibson R8 and kept it..)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320160180807&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

• Members
Yes headstock logos are an excellent indicator of quality
:thu:

But headstocks are also the source of navigator fanboyisms.... less than 1% (probably just the 3 or 4 guys from Japan and thats about it) of the people on this forum have ever played or been near one.... yet quite a lot of people swear they are better than Gibson just because of the brand name on the headstock.....

• Members

But headstocks are also the source of navigator fanboyisms.... less than 1% (probably just the 3 or 4 guys from Japan and thats about it) of the people on this forum have ever played or been near one.... yet quite a lot of people swear they are better than Gibson just because of the brand name on the headstock.....

Farkin ay! The 'anti' hate!

I'd be interested in how much people would still like Navigators and Edwards if they did not have the 'gibson' headstock too..

• Members

A very valid point, but its not all rooted in fanboyism. The navigators still edge out the gibsons price wise by several hundred (assuming ikebe will sell you one), and they probably have a good rep for a reason. Better than historics? I have no idea, the historics are good so these will really have to be something special to totally beat them out. But judging from the reviews from the people lucky enough to go to japan and try them in person and the ESPs I've played I would think they are at least on par

If I was in the market for a sick LP I would probably buy a navigator and A/B it with some historics. If the historics are nicer you could probably sell the nav for a nice profit and buy a gibson. If the nav wins then I would have got a higher than gibson cs quality guitar for less money. Can't really lose

• Members

A very valid point, but its not all rooted in fanboyism. The navigators still edge out the gibsons price wise by several hundred (assuming ikebe will sell you one), and they probably have a good rep for a reason. Better than historics? I have no idea, the historics are good so these will really have to be something special to totally beat them out. But judging from the reviews from the people lucky enough to go to japan and try them in person and the ESPs I've played I would think they are at least on par

If I was in the market for a sick LP I would probably buy a navigator and A/B it with some historics. If the historics are nicer you could probably sell the nav for a nice profit and buy a gibson. If the nav wins then I would have got a higher than gibson cs quality guitar for less money. Can't really lose

Problem with that theory, the Navigators don't hold any second hand value, you can pick em up for $1200-$1400 used (great value at that price by the way!!) I posted an ebay auction for one just the other day.

• Members

Navigators are incredible guitars!

I dont think Im biased in saying so, being that

not only do I collect gibsons, but I also sell them for a living.

Are they on average better than Gibson USA? No doubt.

They are on par with Gibson custom/historic without a doubt. Perhaps more consistent as well. I also doubt Navigator puts out 1/4 the guitars Gibson Custom does, so that also explains a lot.

But yes, do buy a used one...

but the same could be said of Gibson custom shop models.

I find them in the sub 2000 dollar range all the time.

• Members

Navis are nice...theres been a used SG for quite a while in a local shop at under $1000.oo...but it has some fret wear and looks like a newer model...so I haven`t bought it yet. But...I think there are many excellent high end Les Paul type builders over here right now and Navigator may not be the best Japan has to offer at this time. Of course...they ain`t cheap new, but used they can be bargains comparatively speaking, and thats because most of youse over there don`t know about em...and haven`t driven the prices out of control like the feeding frenzy has done with many 80s MIJs.
Guess youse `ll just have to come over see for yourselves.

• Members

I've got two, and I've been in Japan and played them with Gibson CS Historics side by side, and it's no contest. Navigators win. Since I bought those, I go to the local Gibson showcase retailer and I can't seem to like Gibsons anymore. Spoiled by Navigator. Not internet heresay - here's one of them, with my rig.

PetersMesaBoogie.jpg

Navigator is the best-efforts branch of ESP, just as Lexus is the best-efforts branch of Toyota. The Japanese can do phenomenal work when they want to. But that won't ever convert some Gibson owners, just as Lexus won't ever convert some Ford drivers. It'd be a lot less of a hassle for me to be happy with Gibsons...but the Navigator bug bit me for real.

• Members

Historic vs Navigator.
Your talking the top end of both companies.
Both customshops are very well respected.

I don't really think you can go wrong either way.
Basically which ever one you can get the best deal on.

As Zenbu said. MIJ replicas are not as cheap to get as they were a few years ago.
Your not getting Tokais and Orvilles for $300 anymore.

I haven't seen a Navigator on the U.S. Ebay for $1200 or so in a long long time.

As for correct headstock and horn?
Not a deal breaker for me.
twins32sb.jpg
My MIJ Diodati have a PRS influenced headstock with a Heritage horn style.
Get me the LP tone just fine.

• Members
Historic vs Navigator.

Your talking the top end of both companies.

Both customshops are very well respected.

I don't really think you can go wrong either way.

Basically which ever one you can get the best deal on.

As Zenbu said. MIJ replicas are not as cheap to get as they were a few years ago.

Your not getting Tokais and Orvilles for $300 anymore.

I haven't seen a Navigator on the U.S. Ebay for $1200 or so in a long long time.

As for correct headstock and horn?

Not a deal breaker for me.

twins32sb.jpg
My MIJ Diodati have a PRS influenced headstock with a Heritage horn style.

Get me the LP tone just fine.

Nice guitars!:cool:

• Members
I've got two, and I've been in Japan and played them with Gibson CS Historics side by side, and it's no contest. Navigators win. Since I bought those, I go to the local Gibson showcase retailer and I can't seem to like Gibsons anymore. Spoiled by Navigator. Not internet heresay - here's one of them, with my rig.

PetersMesaBoogie.jpg

Navigator is the best-efforts branch of ESP, just as Lexus is the best-efforts branch of Toyota. The Japanese can do phenomenal work when they want to. But that won't ever convert some Gibson owners, just as Lexus won't ever convert some Ford drivers. It'd be a lot less of a hassle for me to be happy with Gibsons...but the Navigator bug bit me for real.

Meh, I had an R8, tried Navigators in Japan and didn't think much of em at new prices..
The ones I played (all new I must add) had really nasty satin thick feeling finishes, they felt (and looked) A LOT like an Edwards.. (that was May this year), I'm wondering if maybe Navigators have dropped in quality.. cos I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about.. Saw them in several stores in Ochanamizu.

But second hand.. Man, if I hadn't already bought 2 guitars I would have picked one up for sure!

Archived