Hey Cheopo Strat Players How Do You Set Up Your Strats and/or Copies?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I just wanted to know how you guys out there who play cheapo Strats or Strat copies set up your guitars? I'm not trying to prove a point or anything, just curious cuz I have one too. I'm not worried about differentiating for metal, rock, blues, or any other genre. Just let me know how you set up your cheapo; pickups, bridges, necks, tuners, pickguards, andy special wiring, anything. I'm even curious about wood! Pictures are most definitely welcome too!

• Members

Set your intonation first for accuracy and string height second for comfort and no buzz or least amount of buzz, then go back to finalizing your intonation. This will all change a bit if you're experimenting with different string gauges. So make your mind up about what gauge you're going to use and stick with it for a while.

Hopefully your nut doesn't need any extra tweaking like a little widening of the slots, and your frets are level. And your truss rod is keeping your neck straight.

These last three things I would take to a tech to have fixed.

• Members

The Fender setup guide was a lot of help. Thanks! But I also wanted to know how you people set up your cheapo Strats/copies? Let me know what kind of pickups you guys use regardless of playing style and any other mods or hardware upgrades you guys do. I would greatly appreciate it.

• Members

I threw insome gfs premium texas pups into my squier silverburst strat and wired it to be volume, master tone, and the second tone knob to blend in the neck pup into any position. the gfs pups are great,vintage sounding, only louder. I gotta say though, I just got a mim standard strat for my birthday and i'm digging it plain stock. the ceramic pups are pretty good- a lot more modern aggressive sounding and a nice compliment to the other strat w/gfs's. you can actually dial in a lot of gibsony humbuckerish tones with it.

• Members

+1 to the GFS pups, I just put a set of premium texas into my MIM and I love them :) Another upgrade would depend on the guitar build itself, such as a new tremolo unit with more mass, or new saddles, depending on what the guitar currently has. Other things you might want to look at for the future would be a new amp, I know not really a guitar upgrade directly, but still has a major effect on sound. Strap locks are also a nice addition, and a comfy new strap to go with it :D

Archived