NGD, Fender MIJ Strat Squier Series, what's up with that?

lexvandoef

• Members

Yeah, finally I've got a strat too :eek:

It's a black MIJ Fender from '92. But the thing is, it's got Squier Series on the headstock. I did a bit of research, it turns out to be a Fender indeed and not a squier, but I don't really get why they did this. Oh and all the Fender Squier Series I've seen on the net had all black decals, mine's got the usual Fender decal, gold with black outline. What's going on??? What have bought?

Well, it doesn't really matter though, I really like it, the neck is really well played in, and acoustically it sounds great, but the pickups make it sound a bit thin and harsh. Oh well, gonna get some new GFS pu's in a few weeks.

It's not really an all original anyways, the tuners have been replaced by some very stable ones, brand unknown, it's got a Graphtech nut, different electronics and pickguard, and the best thing, the bridge has been preplaced by an Allparts AMB Fulcrum tremolo with rollersadles. It's very stable, doesn't detune and it dives nice. Me likey :)

Oh and I got a great price for it,

• Members

Die heb je toch ook op gitaarnet.nl gepost?

Anyway, mine is from japan too, 1994/95. Black, maple neck. The logo on mine is all black. There's very little information on these models.

strat.jpg

#

Ja klopt, maar ik verveelde me net een beetje.

Thnx, for the info guys. But early squier? I thought the really early squiers were the JV's from the '80's. Mines from the '90's according to the serial dater.

• Members

#

Ja klopt, maar ik verveelde me net een beetje.

Thnx, for the info guys. But early squier? I thought the really early squiers were the JV's from the '80's. Mines from the '90's according to the serial dater.

Is it definitely MIJ?...there were a few Korean Squiers with the big Fender logo in the '90s I believe, and even some MIM, so I have heard.

Whats the letter(s) on the serial?

• Members

Is it definitely MIJ?...there were a few Korean Squiers with the big Fender logo in the '90s I believe, and even some MIM, so I have heard.

Whats the letter(s) on the serial?

It's definately MIJ, the serial is, M033849.

and this is what the serial dater project site says:

Your guitar was made at the

Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan

in the Year(s): 1992 - 1993

And according to the Fender site, it is a MIJ fender from 92-93

Got any clues?

• Members

It's definately MIJ, the serial is, M033849.

and this is what the serial dater project site says:

Your guitar was made at the

Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan

in the Year(s): 1992 - 1993

And according to the Fender site, it is a MIJ fender from 92-93

Got any clues?

Interesting..the serial does date it to Japan 92-93 on the Fender site too.

I honestly dont have a clue....

• Members

Interesting..the serial does date it to Japan 92-93 on the Fender site too.

I honestly dont have a clue....

haha, cool. My guitar leaves people speechless :eek:

Well it's a real player, and I'm not intending to sell it anyways, it's my perfect go anywhere, do anything guitar. It plays, feels and sounds like a strat is supposed to sound, and it was dirt cheap to me :thu:

Still curious about it's background though, I've read a bit about MIJ and MIM Fenders with squier series written on them. They were built in the nineties, but the all had the cheaplooking all black fender decall. And mine has the regular, gold woth blackoutline decal. And judging by the decal and the finish, neither the Fender, nor the Squier series isn't original.

Kinda weird he :poke:

• Members

I'm gonna put my money on MIK. Its definitely different than the MIM and I've never even heard of a 90's Squier Series MIJ.

There are lots of MIJ strats with "Squire Series" on the headstock. They have Made in Japan under the serial number at the base of the neck. These include the Foto Finish strats, of which I have one (the Floyd Rose II version). At least 2 other member have identical MIJ strats to mine, so they aren't that uncommon.

• Members

There are lots of MIJ strats with "Squire Series" on the headstock. They have Made in Japan under the serial number at the base of the neck. These include the Foto Finish strats, of which I have one (the Floyd Rose II version). At least 2 other member have identical MIJ strats to mine, so they aren't that uncommon.

I knew about the fotoflames but guess i didn't know about the others.

• Members

FJ made a lot of models that were never in catalogs and are completely unknown outside the country, and they were made for chain shops so getting reliable info on em all is nearly impossible...even for Japanese authors who write the books over here. The only Squires that show up in my books on vintage MIJs are the earliest Squires...not only are many unseen overseas, I frequently come across models I had idea existed.

It does resemble the Jeff Beck strat that Greco and Fernendes were making...and there many have been other companies producing that model too. There may be stuff stamped in the neck pocket that can help I.D the guitar and how much it sold for originally...but as far as I can tell, if it`s all original, it may be one that is not as common as others...it`s certainly a first for me. Looks cool, and I have a mid 70s Greco that somebody converted to the Beck model...only it looks like he did the routing with a chain saw...can`t tell while the pickguard is on... something I didn`t know `til it arrived...sounded too good to return though, so I kept it.

• Members

Het thnx, for the replies guys :thu:

As for the 3 switches and 1v + 1t setup, I know for a fact that the previous owner did this, it used to be a regular 1V, 2t and 3 way switch setup. And I'm gonna turn it back into that too, I don't like the 3 miniswitches. It's not easy switch between pickup fast this way.

I've taken it apart and looked in the neckpocket. The following has been stamped in red:

in the neckpocket: 02 - ST.

and in the neck: FEII - STM.

Anybody got any idea what this means?

Oh yeah, the serial and made in japan is indeed stamped on the back of the heel of the neck, same with my MIJ Fender telecaster '62 RI.

Oh and about the routing under the pickguard, it's a HSH route.

Archived