Blues Deluxe or Hotrod Deluxe?

bluesrock70's

• Members

Is the Blues a single 12" speaker? The HotRod Deluxe is definitely a nice amp but I suspect the Blues Deluxe will sound better overall.. I would just go out and try them both.

I had a HotRod Deluxe for awhile and found that it had very nice cleans but the OD was pretty bad until I switched out the tubes. Bought a Peavey C30 to replace the HRD, though.

• Members
This guy in my area is selling an older Blues Deluxe for $250.00 and a newer Hotrod Deluxe for $350.00. I'm asking anyone in here that owns or tried either amp to see which would be the best buy. I'm suppose to go by there tomorrow and try them out. Thanks........
:)

Depends on what you are playing. If it is jazz/dirty jazz and Strat blues stuff, the Blues Deluxe will be ok. If it is rock oriented, I'd definitely staty away from both of them. You'd have to use pedals to try and get a nice crunchy main tone, and that's not a lot of fun.

• Members

Depends on what you are playing. If it is jazz/dirty jazz and Strat blues stuff, the Blues Deluxe will be ok. If it is rock oriented, I'd definitely staty away from both of them. You'd have to use pedals to try and get a nice crunchy main tone, and that's not a lot of fun.

the part about these amps that i don't like is that they don't make a sound until they're too loud for playing at home.

nothing wrong with pedals. its a matter of finding the right one.

• Members
the part about these amps that i don't like is that they don't make a sound until they're too loud for playing at home.

nothing wrong with pedals. its a matter of finding the right one.

Man, I've tried some of the recognized holy-graile models and they aren't the same thing as a well designed front end working with the power section.

• Members

This guy in my area is selling an older Blues Deluxe for $250.00 and a newer Hotrod Deluxe for $350.00. I'm asking anyone in here that owns or tried either amp to see which would be the best buy. I'm suppose to go by there tomorrow and try them out. Thanks........
:)

The Blues Deluxe will cost you a lot more to service and re-tube.

I read about this last year on one of the Hotrod Modding sites, which explains the technical details and how they fixed the annoyances of the Blues vs. the Hotrod. That decided it for me to get the Hotrod instead of the Blues.

I don't think there is a real tone difference in these amps, at least not based on electronics.

• Members

The Blues Deluxe will cost you a lot more to service and re-tube.

I read about this last year on one of the Hotrod Modding sites, which explains the technical details and how they fixed the annoyances of the Blues vs. the Hotrod. That decided it for me to get the Hotrod instead of the Blues.

I don't think there is a real tone difference in these amps, at least not based on electronics.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

• Members

if it is the original BD made in USA from the '90's, that is a good amp. i'd prefer it over a MIM HRD for sure. neither has great sounding overdrive, so you need pedals for your dirty sound, but the clean on the original BD is sweet!

good luck

Archived