Finally finished my reverb project

• Members

Wow, it looks like you've put a lot of care and time into this. Very neat looking wiring and construction job.

Want to post an impulse sample so we can all 'borrow' the sound for our SIR reverb plugins?

• Members

Originally posted by philbo

Wow, it looks like you've put a lot of care and time into this. Very neat looking wiring and construction job.

Want to post an impulse sample so we can all 'borrow' the sound for our SIR reverb plugins?

Thanks :) I don't know if you are serious about the sample. I don't even know what an impulse sample is :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff Leites

Thanks
:)
I don't know if you are serious about the sample. I don't even know what an impulse sample is
:confused:

Sure, I try to collect impulses whenever I can. What it is: run the sound of a starter pistol, or balloon popping, or a burst of pink noise through it, and record the output into a .wav file. Usually the file is 8 seconds or so.

It can then be used by other people who feed it into their convolving reverb plugins, and lets them use the same reverb sound in their music.

• Members

In theory, if you put a signal with an infinite amplitude and infinitely short duration on the input and then record the system's (reverb's in this case) output, you can mathematically calculate the system's output for any other signal possible with a simple mathematical process called convolution.

In real world you sure can't have infinite amplitude and near-zero duration, but you can come quite close by using some approximation, philbo provided some examples. But maybe instead of balloons or pistols some digitally generated signal could be better as there is always some natural reverb present when a balloon pops and you record that with a microphone. philbo what do you think about this? Am I right or not?

Hope this "impulse sample" thing is now more clear to you...

Matej

• Members

Originally posted by mte

In theory, if you put a signal with an infinite amplitude and infinitely short duration on the input and then record the system's (reverb's in this case) output, you can mathematically calculate the system's output for any other signal possible with a simple mathematical process called convolution.

In real world you sure can't have infinite amplitude and near-zero duration, but you can come quite close by using some approximation, philbo provided some examples. But maybe instead of balloons or pistols some digitally generated signal could be better as there is always some natural reverb present when a balloon pops and you record that with a microphone. philbo what do you think about this? Am I right or not?

Hope this "impulse sample" thing is now more clear to you...

Matej

Yes, you nailed it quite well, except for one thing - a given impulse file is only good for reproducing one dB level; it won't allow to you to capture the dynamics of any device. (Too bad, too, because it'd be nice to collect files for Pultecs and Distressors and similar compressor-type toys!).

• Members

Yes, you nailed it quite well, except for one thing - a given impulse file is only good for reproducing one dB level; it won't allow to you to capture the dynamics of any device.

Hmm, never heard of that. Do you maybe have any link with some technical background to this?

Matej

• Members

Convolution reverb is amazing - if you have a PC VST host you can run this excellent free one: http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

The quality of this is as good as the commercial ones, except it has a long latency. That's not a problem if your DAW has full plugin delay compensation, and you aren't trying to use it while tracking (and why would you want to do that?).

Like any sample player - it's only as good as the samples you give it. FYI - convolution is not simple sample playback. Basically, it's a mathematical process of looking at the input of an audio system (the impulse - e.g. a starting pistol) and the output (the impulse response - e.g. a halls reverb time). The software looks at each incoming sample, and calculates the 'response' based on the data in the impulse response file.

Basically - you can sample the guts out of high end reverbs and have pretty much the same sounds for free. I have thousands of IR's, and I have good plugins and hardware reverbs and I have compared convolution of IR's against the real thing many times.

Most people would not notice the difference - it's that good. What you lose is the editability of the real thing (assuming the real thing was editable in the first place). Some of the free IR's that are available on the internet are not well done. So they can be truncated, or have artifacts. But reverb, like delay, is a strange thing, because sometimes some signal degredation actually makes it better. I have some IR's of my excellent hardware Kurzweil reverb, and sometimes I think the IR's are slightly better - or at least just as useable. For the longer ones, the real thing is clearly better.

Convolution is a revolution, as big as MIDI, synthesis or sampling.

• Members

Originally posted by alfonso

Have you ever tried to load other wave files than impulse responses in convolution plugins? Try.....
:D

Here's a few:

A snare with a really long rattle makes a really cool impulse.

So does holding down the sustain pedal on a piano and gently whacking the metal harp frame with a screwdriver handle.

The echo of fireworks across our town - - utterly amazing!

Archived