I moded my Champ again - 6L6 tube mod

mcinku

• Members

Damn I just can't leave it alone. :freak:

I love the sound so much, I wanted to make it even bigger. I checked with Nik if my trannies are big enough to take the additional current and he said "sure no problem". Nik is always oversizing, thaks god :) .

So all I had to do is to add a bigger cathode resistor. I made it switcable, this way I can go back to 6V6 at will.

This option is pretty cool. You can play at home at low volumes (6V6) and when power is needed you just plug the 6L6 and go for some more juice.

It's not pretty but it works :D (sorry for a bad phone pic)

• Members

You could use a 330 ohm cathode resistor (that's pretty much standard for AX84 P1eX designs) and I think it'll be both louder and sound better. I've built a couple of amps with switchable bias, and biasing the power valve cold makes for a slightly dull 'hard' feel. I've just begun trying 6550s in these, but I'm slightly nervous about going to the recommended 220ohm for fear of frying my PT.

• Members
You could use a 330 ohm cathode resistor (that's pretty much standard for AX84 P1eX designs) and I think it'll be both louder and sound better. I've built a couple of amps with switchable bias, and biasing the power valve cold makes for a slightly dull 'hard' feel. I've just begun trying 6550s in these, but I'm slightly nervous about going to the recommended 220ohm for fear of frying my PT.

Yes, Nik just told me I could go with 330 resistor as well. He also told me some people are using 270 ohm resistor :eek:, but he would rather use 10W for that, just in case.
I'll try to find something and see how it works but I think I'm not going below 300, I like this amp to much to risk blowing it up.

:thu:

Archived