NGD- Univox P-90 Content

Dr. Clonebucket

• Members

I picked up a Univox Limited Edition today at an auction for 150 bills. It's in amazing condition, except for the bridge for some reason, and the pickguard which broke apart and needs to be replaced. Anyone know where to get a replacement and if a guard from a 50-60's Les Paul Special will fit?

Anyways, pics:

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

I'm thinking about replacing the bridge P90 with an authentic Gibby, but haven't made up my mind yet.

• Members

:thu: Very cool looking. I always liked the looks of those old Univox.

If it's not a collectible (is it?), then you can mess around with some upgrades. For example, you can draw out a new pickguard and get one made. You can also replace that bridge for a more modern BADASS bridge.

It sounds like fun. I wonder where I can pick one up at an auction for cheap...

• Members

I had one of those - AWESOME guitar! I wouldn't change a thing on it - the pu's are really hot! And the set neck is to DIE for! Collectible? Hell yes! You got a hell of a deal for 150 bucks. there used to be a place called Outlaw guitars here in NJ that had the one p/u model for 500 bucks that wasn't in half as good shape as yours -whatta score!:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

The thing plays like a dream, now, the action is a bitch though. The lower the action, the closer the strings are to the pups, and the muddier my sound is. I got the action to a point where it clears up quite well, but its like twice where it should be. Any pointers?

Oh and yeah the bridge is definately gonna be the first upgrade, and I would think the last, as everything else seems solid.

• Members

The thing plays like a dream, now, the action is a bitch though. The lower the action, the closer the strings are to the pups, and the muddier my sound is. I got the action to a point where it clears up quite well, but its like twice where it should be. Any pointers?

Oh and yeah the bridge is definately gonna be the first upgrade, and I would think the last, as everything else seems solid.

You could try lowering the pole pieces down as low as they will go, that may make a little bit of difference. Probly not much though. Besides that I think the only way to lower those dogears would to be get out the chisel and grab a cold one.

• Members

Here's something to check out:

I've noticed that on a lot of these the only ground lead is the mesh shielding. Try running a solid wire from ground (directly to the jack) to the "ground" of the pickup.

When the mesh gets oxidized...things get muddy. I fixed a friend's Univox that way.

Archived