Did I do a Bad Thing? GOW LP Supreme Autumn Burst

GAS Man

• Members

I know I'm a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad GAS'r, but after being tempted for weeks by FirstQuality Music's blowout on a couple models of unsold "Guitars Of The Week" (GOS), I finally lost self control and ordered one from FQMS.

It was $2299.00 instead of the normal $3,099.97. They also had the Ebony and Gold '61 SG for $1200, but those are gone now.

I do blame you guys for not having bought this earlier and saving me this unneeded expense in my life, I mean, "xanaducomplex" posted this in the "HOT DEALS Thread back on 10/10 (16 days ago) and the same guitar was still waiting! :mad: Actually, the sales guy said it flipped on a layaway, so it may have been gone and then back in again.

So here, I stole some pictures off one that's selling now on ebay. It shows more red and less orange hues than the webshots.

Tell me what you think. I can take it. :eek:

5a89_12.JPG

trippy gold colored frets/ebony fretboard

8fb3_12.JPG

overly ornate/gaudy abalone headstock inlay

6cf5_12.JPG

cool flames even on the back

94b7_12.JPG

8cd0_12.JPG

978b_12.JPG

Also

1) Chambered Mahogany LP body, so it will be light and s/b resonant

2) 490/498 Not necessarily my faves, but I've noticed they sound different on different guitars so the ebony fb might clear up the muddiness on the neck, but I think it will be a trip either way.

And as I just mentioned:

3)Ebony FB (but no inlays like the std production Supremes :( )

• Members

Yeah thanks for the + comments so far, it was the beauty of it that really drew me in. I know a lot of folks around here think that can be a sick reason to buy a guitar and they think guitars should all be first and foremost, players, but this bitch deserves a glass case. (and some playing too! :D )

I have a hunch that if I decide it's superfluous, I'll be able to flip it without getting hurt too bad.

• Members

I've got one!

Cool! I saw a thread here a few days back where someone picked one up and that was part of what pushed me over the edge. That extra little push.

Tell me about yours. What have you found that you like (besides being purdy) and/or dislike??

Thanks

P.S. Looking at your 3 guitars, I think it was your post. ;)

• Members

I love everything about it. I mainly use it to play low to medium gain, overdriven stuff. It handles it deftly. It's got that signature Les Paul crunch and it sustains like it's a 700 lb. piece of wood, even though it is chambered and much, much lighter than a typical LP.

My camera isn't great, so I can't capture the burst correctly. Your pictures make it look too red, mine make it look like it doesn't have any flame/burst at all and that the burst is mismatched, even though it's beautifully bookmatched. I need to get some natural light. The gold frets are great, smooth as butter, and I got the action sickeningly low without any fret buzz at all. The action is so low, it's tough to go back to the relatively high action on my Jazzmaster. The strings that came with it were atrocious. I gave it a quick polish with Meguiar's, polished the frets and set the action and it's probably the nicest piece of wood I've ever held.

I also used the FQM price to get a price match at the store where I bought it. They couldn't sell it for the $2299 that FQM sold it to you for, but they have it to me for $2500 and gave me a bunch of free stuff and a $100 gift certificate, so it's all cool. Great, great guitar.

• Members

Thanks for the info.

I can see you wanting to buy local. This is my first purchase from FQMS and it will be a bit of a "pig in a poke" as far as how my piece turns out and does it have any signs of wanker rash. FQMS scares me a bit since they want you to get an RA number from them in about 48 hours if you want to return it. Hell, I don't usually even open up a Gibson for at least 24 hours to give it a chance to acclimate.

I just stole these pictures off of a couple pieces being sold on ebay, so you're saying I should maybe expect a bit less red and a bit more orangey autumn hues like the webshots?

• Members
nice guitar but hey i was wondering... there's no backplate?

I hadn't noticed that before. Only noticed how nice the back looked. I guess you just grab a big screw driver and a hammer and just pop that maple top off huh? :eek:

Hope I don't end up with any pot or switch problems

• Members
I know I'm a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad GAS'r, but after being tempted for weeks by FirstQuality Music's blowout on a couple models of unsold "Guitars Of The Week" (GOS), I finally lost self control and ordered one from FQMS.

It was $2299.00 instead of the normal $3,099.97. They also had the Ebony and Gold '61 SG for $1200, but those are gone now.

I do blame you guys for not having bought this earlier and saving me this unneeded expense in my life, I mean, "xanaducomplex" posted this in the "HOT DEALS Thread back on 10/10 (16 days ago) and the same guitar was still waiting!
:mad:
Actually, the sales guy said it flipped on a layaway, so it may have been gone and then back in again.

So here, I stole some pictures off one that's selling now on ebay. It shows more red and less orange hues than the webshots.

Tell me what you think. I can take it.
:eek:

You seriously expect people over here to tell you you did wrong buying ANY guitar? Good luck with that!

Btw, that is a gorgeous looking color! I love the way that looks!

Archived