My oldest son turns 3 today - drum recommendations?

dahkter

• Members

Hi Guys,

So, cool day, my oldest son - Samuel- turns three today. Three and a half years ago I was on the old MP forums talking about what to name him, funny how time flies...

Anyways, he absolutely loves the drums. He plays air drums, he nods his head when he hears Zeppelin. I've brought him to our friend's loft, and on more than one occasion, he can sit down, play the ride with his right and snare with his left. Very cool.

So anyway, today I was thinking of getting him some sticks, a practice pad, a stand and a chair so he can bang on something without waking the neighbors. Presently he bangs sticks on our metal garbage can, it's a bit loud for a three family apartment building. Wondering if anyone has experience with starting their kids out on drums at a young age, when you did it, what you set them up wtih (specific gear/lessons/etc).

A full kit is out of the question due to noise issues, plus I'm worried it could end up being perceived as a toy in the event he loses interest down the line.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks.

• Members

I will second that suggestion or something close to it. The only problem is small pads make a small target. When checking out different types and brands get the one with the biggest pads and no knobs to break. The kid will be whacking ever spot on the device. It needs to be sturdy.

By the way, I started with a collection of plastic freezer boxes. Different sizes for different sounds and one had pennies to mimic a snare.

Robert

• Members

Being a recovering drummer myself, I used to sit with my youngest on my lap when he was that age, while playing simple rhythms. It didn't take him long to get the hang of it. A little longer for him to reach across my 35yr old Ludwigs. Now he's 16 and beating up on my much larger, and also 30+ yr old Gretches and complaining that he needs more and I don't buy him anything. All the while jamming with his older brother (guitarist) in a basement full of gear. Oh what have I created???

Stop now while you can! Turn away and forget music. It much to painful!.:D :D :D

• Members

Get him real drum sticks and his set of beach buckets and a pan from the kitchen !!

Make it a game

play with him

There is the fear that with real gear will come the pressure to perform as parents might want to "recoup investments"

and that big gear will intimidate a small boy

and he just might hate music for ever more !!!

Say Happy Birthday to Samuel from me !!!

• Members

Hey forumites,

What great replies, I really appreciate everyone writing back.

So I did stop by the Brooklyn GC on the way home, I have a coupon for a free pair of sticks with a $15 purchase. Turns out they were closed when I got there, they got flooded out in the last storm and are now closing an hour earlier. So I have some more time to work it out.

I really like the non-gear related suggestions, to instill the love of playing and not pressure him with an expensive analog or electronic kit. Some buckets, some plastic (and yes, the pennies inside for the snare is brilliant), all great ideas.

Very cool, and as we are on topic, a lot of people have kids, be it drums or piano, how did you get your kids into it, mostly playing and they see it and mimic it? Or did you get formal lessons? Or both?

Archived