MY Space "My Impression"

audioicon

• Members

Originally posted by fretwizz

Do you guys all think Myspace is actually cool?

Regardless of whether "everyone" has a page on it.... or not ....

Do you really think it looks good?

How would you rate it aesthetically

compared to other sites?

And do you really like the way music

plays automatically on every page

whether you want it to or not?

Aesthetically, I rate it very low, especially the pages that have been highly customized!

But structural and functional conformity are what MySpace is all about, and that's fine. We agree to a bunch or arbitrary restrictions in order to keep the environment highly navigable, consistent and most importantly, to keep the playing field level. There is very little aesthetic difference between the Snakes on a Plane page and Roxanne from Cleveland's.

But this is the web, where boundaries are illusory, where travel isn't really travel and you can't "leave" because you're not "there." The only thing that protects the boundaries of MySpace is the "friend" collecting game. Otherwise, why would anyone submit to their largely untweakable functional and aesthetic restrictions?

Regarding the music starting automatically, A) I don't like it and B)shouldn't the media player just keep on playing when you go to interior pages like Pictures or Blog or Friend's list?

• Members

How would you rate it aesthetically

compared to other sites?

And do you really like the way music

plays automatically on every page

whether you want it to or not?

I don't think it's particularly cool or uncool, it just is what it is.

If it looked better or worked better, I'm not sure I would care any more or any less. (What sites are aesthetically pleasing?)

If someone happens upon us and says hi or becomes a mate, I'm not sure why that's in any way a bad thing.

And if our reputation or cred or authenticity has somehow been besmirched by being on there, I'm unaware of it, nor would I think it matters much anyway since we had no reputation or cred or authenticity in the first place.

• Members

I wonder what will happen to MySpace now that Rupert Murdoch has bought it?

(for somewhere around $500,000,000).

I can't think of many sites that I dislike as much as MySpace...

It just seems to me to be everything I would not want to be associated with in a web site.

Crass, bad taste, bad design.... if there's one thing above all others it's having music come blaring in whenever I load a page...

So annoying!

For me MySpace sucks, and no ammount of

"it's what everybody's doing at the

moment" will change that...

Actually it's sort of apt that Rupert has

bought it because it belongs in the same

class as his horrible Tabloid newspapers .

Something to be avoided at all costs.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Well, as far as whether MySpace "looks bonafide/authentic" that's kind of a moot point, at this point - because
everyone
is on it now including most world famous acts, labels, venues, radio stations, etc. So, like it or not, it's kind of shooting yourself in the foot at this point not to have a MySpace page, especially seeing as it's free.

So we should all just jump on the bandwagon like sheep to the slaughter house?

I don't think so..

All the more reason to stay away from it IMHO.

• Members

So you don't want to be on MYSpace? Is that what you are trying to say? :confused:

Sheeps to the slaughterhouse?

You know, in the time I've been on MySpace, everyone that I've dealt with has been extremely nice, and no one one has suggested that I'm "uncool" or "crass" or "lack authenticity" or that I'm a "doomed farm animal".

But I pop into the ol' Sound, Studio and Stage for laughs and good times and it's nothing but insults (not to mention the aesthetics, my god this whole page has to go!)

• Members

Originally posted by macle

I don't think it's particularly cool or uncool, it just is what it is.

this is pretty much my take on it, as a relatively flat substrate it seems to reflect web culture in general terms

I honestly can't get too worked up about it one way or the other "oh you have a myspace deallie/aren't going to do hampster style anymore...that's nice"

why do people hate sheep so much? -- rams are sheep too!

• Members

Nope. I don't think it looks or functions very well, as I've already said. But, whatever, it's free, and we've gotten a lot of benefit from having a MySpace page so... I don't see what the point is of making a big deal about it one way or the other. Like macle said, it's just there. Use it or don't... I don't see any reason not to.

• Members

Originally posted by protues9

I dont understand why because it's free, you think I should do it.

Cuz I assume most of us want to have our music heard by as many people as possible, and network with as many venue owners, festival bookers, labels, radio stations, and potential fans as possible? And most of those folks are on MySpace and seem to be more accessible there than by other means?

I dont enjoy it, thats enough for me.

OK. If you don't think the benefits are worth it, then nobody's saying you have to do it. :confused: It's just not that big a deal one way or another.

• Members
Originally posted by macle

So you
don't
want to be on MYSpace? Is that what you are trying to say?
:confused:

Sheeps to the slaughterhouse?

You know, in the time I've been on MySpace, everyone that I've dealt with has been extremely nice, and no one one has suggested that I'm "uncool" or "crass" or "lack authenticity" or that I'm a "doomed farm animal".

But I pop into the ol' Sound, Studio and Stage for laughs and good times and it's nothing but insults (not to mention the aesthetics, my god this whole page has to go!)

yo Macle! popped your CD out of the Jeep the other day after listening to it, when the FM came on , one of my favorite Fab Four songs "You're gonna lose that girl" came on, nice seque...didn't mean to carjack this thread but, how's the CD selling? My daughter (SNOW PATROL and Brit pop freak) thinks the first song sounds like Magical Mystery Tour.

• Members

Hey fellas and ladies or course :thu:

Well heres my tupence worth anyway.

I have had a My Space page for a few months and all I can say its excelled my buisness forward 10 fold!

I think most people that have these pages ave found the same especially those who already have made it big so to speak.

I cant fault the idea as I'm all for it and I hope that it'll bring in more work for us.

All the artists we represnt have pages and all have found a good way to promo what they are doing and get feedback about their work so if its working for them, I think it works for most people.

It also depends how much time on it as well.

I spend maybe a couple of visits a day answering mail etc and I like the feedback.

Its all good :thu:

• Members

Cuz I assume most of us want to have our music heard by as many people as possible, and network with as many venue owners, festival bookers, labels, radio stations, and potential fans as possible? And most of those folks are on MySpace and seem to be more accessible there than by other means?

Fair enough.. If you use it for that I can respect that, no problems :)

Maybe I misread a ceartain thought that seemed to say "fine whatever, you be uncool then".

No biggie.

:)

I deal directly with Djs, mostly because I write dance / club music; and typically, they are the promoters who in turn deal with the venues, as I said it could my genre... So, when the usefullness of it is removed, as it pertains to me, i find it mostly annoying.

• Members

Originally posted by ronnie rawhide

yo Macle! popped your CD out of the Jeep the other day after listening to it, when the FM came on , one of my favorite Fab Four songs "You're gonna lose that girl" came on, nice seque...didn't mean to carjack this thread but, how's the CD selling? My daughter (SNOW PATROL and Brit pop freak) thinks the first song sounds like Magical Mystery Tour.

Yo Ronnie Rawhide!

I'm all for carjacking this thread :p . Very glad you are still digging the CD (The Mates Future Junk). Magical Mystery Tour?! Wow, that's wild. Please thank your daughter for me, and thank you very much.

Okay, enough promotion, back to the thread...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, please check out The Mates on MySpace. :wave:

• Members

Hello all..

I heard a rumour that if you upload a song to myspace, that they can do what they want with it (like a hidden thing in the agreement that no one ever reads)...meaning, they can put out a compilation with the song you uploaded , cause the rights of that song have been signed over ?

Is this true?

I've only ever put up snippets of songs..but I'm wondering if anyone has heard this as well?

-LIMiT

• Members

Originally posted by LIMiT

Hello all..

I heard a rumour that if you upload a song to myspace, that they can do what they want with it (like a hidden thing in the agreement that no one ever reads)...meaning, they can put out a compilation with the song you uploaded , cause the rights of that song have been signed over ?

Is this true?

I've only ever put up snippets of songs..but I'm wondering if anyone has heard this as well?

-LIMiT

I'd imagine here is some use provisions in there

I'd suggest seeing if you can track down the use agrreement and run it by

Grits con Queso (I don't know if he does TIP specifically, but he mentioned he DOES do contract law)

• Members

Originally posted by LIMiT

Hello all..

Is this true?

-LIMiT

From what I understand, the legalese you agree to is basically a cover-their-ass policy to make sure that you don't sue them for "publishing" your music on the internet. In other words, you can't make a MySpace page and then sue them because people viewed your page and listened to your song and they made 2 cents off the banner ad on the top of the screen.

I don't really understand why people ever even bring this up. Suppose they did release a CD with a song of yours on it, would you really be losing out? How many people have heard of you now, and how many people would hear of you if MySpace put you on a CD?

Archived