Japanese Lawsuit Guitars- I hope u already knew cause ....

lamusician1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No doubt some of those guitars are very nice, but don't let the 'Lawsuit' term fool you into thinking they are all nice.

I've played some 'Lawsuit' Ibanez SG and LP ripoffs. The lawsuit was because of headstock shape. Nothing more, nothing less. Some of these are bolt on neck guitars. The few that I've played are of about the same quality as your average $200 import from 10 years ago. Absolutely nothing special.

That's not to say there aren't some really nice historically accurate 'Lawsuit' models out there. Just don't assume that because something says 'Lawsuit' means that it's going to be an exact replica in terms of quality, tone, feel, construction, etc.

• Members

No doubt some of those guitars are very nice, but don't let the 'Lawsuit' term fool you into thinking they are all nice.

I've played some 'Lawsuit' Ibanez SG and LP ripoffs. The lawsuit was because of headstock shape. Nothing more, nothing less. Some of these are bolt on neck guitars. The few that I've played are of about the same quality as your average $200 import from 10 years ago. Absolutely nothing special.

That's not to say there aren't some really nice historically accurate 'Lawsuit' models out there. Just don't assume that because something says 'Lawsuit' means that it's going to be an exact replica in terms of quality, tone, feel, construction, etc.

I bet if someone came out with a line of knock-off guitars named "Lawsuit" Guitars they would sell like hot cakes.

And you could have grounds for a trademark infringement anytime other guitars are referred to as Lawsuit - or at least some free advertising :rolleyes:

• Members

Will the Korean and Chinese guitars go that route?

Hell yes, in 10 years today's Korean guitars will be where Japanese 80's models/Law suits are now. Sniff... I wish I had bought an Ibanez Artist or Yamaha SG or their 335 copies when they were dirt cheap. :cry:

• Members

I bet if someone came out with a line of knock-off guitars named "Lawsuit" Guitars they would sell like hot cakes.

And you could have grounds for a trademark infringement anytime other guitars are referred to as Lawsuit - or at least some free advertising
:rolleyes:

lol good point

• Members

What's the point here? If you want to post pictures of your guitar, tell everyone how much you paid for it and how much you like it that's cool. I appreciate the pics and reviews as much as anyone. But what's with all threads here that claim "My Asian xyz is so much better than (Fender,Gibson,PRS etc.)" and "Asian guitars will only increase in value like vintage (Fender, Gibson, PRS etc)"? Not a day goes by when one of these threads gets kicked up. It's starting to sound like some cheap info-mercial. You would think that if an Asian guitar is made well, it will sell on it's own without any proselytizing. And just so you don't think this is patriotism or brand loyalty on my end, I don't own an American made guitar and I'd be very willing to buy an Edwards, Yamaha or Ibanez. But, I'd also buy a Gibson or PRS if I liked it more.

• Members

well...if you were selling one on Ebay, your opinion wouldn't be so common sense/factual like. :p

• Members

A few months ago I was at a guitar show and bought one of the original "lawsuit" guitars - a mid 70's Ibanez Les Paul Custom copy. I also own a Gibson Les Paul, and I have to say that the Ibanez is not only comparable, but better in some ways (some ways, not all). I'm never one to leave well enough alone so I did swap the pickups on the Ibanez for a Duncan Jazz and Gibson 500T and this is now one monster tone machine - absolutely the best sustaining guitar I've ever owned. Interestingly, I had the same 500T in my Gibson Les Paul and it didn't sound nearly as good. Someone I know who is a well-respected LA jazz musican and film composer played it and couldn't get over what a great guitar it is. I'm not ready to get rid of my Gibson - they undoubtedly make fine guitars. But my "lawsuit" definitely gives it a run for it's money.

• Members

ok well listen i also own a custom shop fender strat and gibson les paul i never said all guitars are great if they are lawsuits...

i am not selling anything on ebay nor was this an infomercial

and i dont care if it says teletubbies on the headstock

i was saying that these can be great instruments you should play my les paul and then you would know what i am saying..

late

• Members

First off, there never was a lawsuit. There were several companies that Gibson threatened to sue, because they were producing copies with the same open book headstock shape, but they never actually did sue anyone. That is what is referred to as a "lawsuit" guitar. Some of the best ones that come to mind are the Tokai Love Rock, Yamaha Studio Lord and Lord Player, and the Aria Pro Leopard. These guitars were virtually identical in every way to a real Gibson Les Paul, and were constructed meticulously. Not all of them were made by Fuji Gen, in fact many of them were produced by Matsumoku, including the Aria, and Electra branded models.

This is not hype, and it is not a myth. Some of you may be in denial about it, but some of these guitars are just as good as a Gibson Les Paul. In fact, the build quality was generally much more consistent. With Gibsons, it's certainly not uncommon to find a real dog. You'd have to look long and hard to find a bad Yamaha Studio Lord.

• Members

a lot has been written on this topic and it always seems to come down to two camps...love em or hate em. The love ems...are guys who`ve played some MIJs and found keepers...the hate ems... seem to be those who think anything not MIA ain`t worth buying. When I was a kid in the 60s most of the MIJ stuff I saw in shops looked like it was gonna break before I got it home...`course a lot of that stuff is now selling for hundreds on Yahoo Japan, but let`s not go there... but I now own several real nice MIJs that I love to bits. There are a lot of MIAs I`d buy, just not from the big two...I will quickly add, I already have a few F/USAs and am down to one Gibson, the Chet SST...but I`d grab my JV strats if I had to only rescue a few. But personally...whatever a player plays is no business of mine, whatever gets folks playing has to be good and I try to keep an open mind and don`t like folks telling me what to do therefore I accord them the same respect. Theres bound to be some mud slinging in this thread but hey...it`s Harmony frickin` Central...it`s expected.

• Members

First off, there never was a lawsuit. There were several companies that Gibson threatened to sue, because they were producing copies with the same open book headstock shape, but they never actually did sue anyone. That is what is referred to as a "lawsuit" guitar. Some of the best ones that come to mind are the Tokai Love Rock, Yamaha Studio Lord and Lord Player, and the Aria Pro Leopard. These guitars were virtually identical in every way to a real Gibson Les Paul, and were constructed meticulously. Not all of them were made by Fuji Gen, in fact many of them were produced by Matsumoku, including the Aria, and Electra branded models.

This is not hype, and it is not a myth. Some of you may be in denial about it, but some of these guitars are just as good as a Gibson Les Paul. In fact, the build quality was generally much more consistent. With Gibsons, it's certainly not uncommon to find a real dog. You'd have to look long and hard to find a bad Yamaha Studio Lord.

yes as i said gibson eventually created the historic line because of this heck i was only telling ya'll that i was one of the people who only thought of teh big two now i am a believer

• Members

100_1927.jpg

You've gott'a spend the big bucks to get a Gibson with a long neck tendon like that.

Absolutely untrue. I know for a fact that many of the Aria Pro Leopards had the long neck tenon. In fact, I've never seen one without it.

Archived