Amps Simulators... which one do you prefer?

moguelator

• Members

pga04-front.jpg

It's not a modeler, but if you have a good 8 ohm tube amp it's much better. It's the Palmer Speaker Simulator. You just plug your head into it as if it were a speaker cab. Plug the Palmer into you mixer or interface and record or practice.

It's great for recording in an apartment. Keith Richards and Eddie Van Halen have used them, how bad can they be.

• Members

I voted other for the axe-fx (best sounding)but I've had most of the sims mentioned. Guitar Rig is a great all-around sim and the built in loop station and two tape decks make its interface the best, add the included foot board with expression pedal and I would recommend this to anyone. Amplitube 2 has better sounding amps in my opinion but not as useful as GR3. GTR3 (Waves) has awesome cleans but their distortions need more work. For some reason the Vox Tonelab LE didn't do it for me and Line6 stuff has never sounded as good as the others. That being said-I get my Cornford Harlequin next week! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I voted, "other " !

I am NOT an amp-simulater-lover at all, hell i dis-like all digital recording gear like poison, it's from the DEVIL :evil:.

But saying that, i am getting one of the new palm size Pods, because right now, i live with a room-mate from hell, and his GF cums over at night and they do not like a cranked amp and some fuzz at 12 o'clock at night !

So i am "kinda forced" to look into the plasitc make-believe world that is "digital-simulation" :cry:.

I would rather spend that money on yet another fuzz pedal, but looks like i need to get sone of these :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=151065

Atleast with this thingy, i can plug my head-phones in, and jam at any time of the day :thu: . . .

• Members

I love my cube 30. For practice/recording and even some small gigs it gets me into any tonal ballpark I can think of. I can't comment on the accuracy of the models, but they all sound good in their own right, while the dfx are limited but useful (and independantly footswitchable!)

That said, I would always rather be blasting my DSL!

• Members

I have a Vox AD30VT as well as one of the original Tonelabs which I run into an all tube 1x12 combo. Lots of great sounds there. I'm mostly a clean to low gain player and I think this is where the Vox stuff shines. The Tonelab into the tube combo seems to sound MUCH more believable on high gain/humbucker sounds to my ears. The tube must be used in a slightly different capacity in the Tonelab than in the AD30/AD50 combos.

I tried the POD and the VAmp along with a Zoom G2 and all of those offered very respectable sounds here and there, but I feel the Vox stuff responds a bit better and sounds better for low gain stuff overall.

Archived