Gibson experts...will my Gibson LP be worth more in the future because...

guitarchaz

• Members

Gibson has apparently discontinued the LP deluxe again (At least, they are not on their web page and MF says they have been discontinued). I got one of the last ones I think. Also, mine was made in 2007, and I think this was the first year that they started "chambering" LPs (standards, and my deluxe as well as others) as a general rule (Mine's definitely chambered, very light and much more acoustically present compared to other LPs I've played historically). If that is true, then it would seem that for the moment, the number of Chambered LP Deluxe models would have been limited to just production year 2007. Wonder if this will make it more valuable or less in years to come....although i don't anticipate getting rid of it...it's waaay too sweet to get rid of. It will be played hard like all of my others, regardless, but it does make me wonder...

• Members
I have doubts. There are too many of them out there.

I agree. I don't think that guitars made nowadays will have the same kind of value increase as those of previous decades. They are making so many of them now. Plus prices are already ridiculous.

It's like comics in the 90's. The old ones were all super expensive, so the publishers kept printing out "Collectors Editions" and stuff. But they were making millions of copies, so they aren't even worth the cover price.

Damned saturated markets and whatnot. :freak:

• Members

Seeing how Gibson doubles their price every 15 years or so... using that logic, you'd think a used one would go up in value as well. Though I find it tough to believe that in 15 years, people will be dropping $4-6k on a new Standard Les Paul!

Then again, that's inflation for you. Though the debate is that you could easily double your money in less than 15 years given a decent return in the stock market over a long period of time.

New guitars typically make bad investments. That said, I have bought new guitars that 5 years later were worth 3x the amount. (that I stupidly sold for less than I bought it for! grr)

Gibson makes and will continue to make so many different Les Paul models that I doubt any of the newer ones will have a high collectibility factor in the future. But if you like your guitar, you shouldn't need to worry. Just play it and enjoy it.

• Members

Seeing how Gibson doubles their price every 15 years or so... using that logic, you'd think a used one would go up in value as well. Though I find it tough to believe that in 15 years, people will be dropping $4-6k on a new Standard Les Paul!

Then again, that's inflation for you. Though the debate is that you could easily double your money in less than 15 years given a decent return in the stock market over a long period of time.

New guitars typically make bad investments. That said, I have bought new guitars that 5 years later were worth 3x the amount. (that I stupidly sold for less than I bought it for! grr)

Gibson makes and will continue to make so many different Les Paul models that I doubt any of the newer ones will have a high collectibility factor in the future. But if you like your guitar, you shouldn't need to worry. Just play it and enjoy it.

I think high end sig models may be the exception to the rule, assuming they don't make 1 billion of them. I can't think of any decent signature models (that obviously weren't market saturated) that didn't skyrocket in value.

• Members

I would say that a new experimental model that fails to catch on right away, becomes discontinued because of this, has potential to become the sought after 'Holy Grail".

Like the Gibson Robot maybe?

Old RD's, WRC's, Modernes, Futuras. Those were the one's with possible mojo. There's not many of them around.

The old 50's LP's had about a 10 year period in the 60's when they weren't made. This pretty much put them in that 'collectable ballpark' I guess.

As for old Strats and Tele's, how do you really know for sure? And most of the guitar gods play new signature Fenders. Which kind of proves,..."Who needs an old vintage one?" Hendrix didn't really do anything special to his Strats or any other of his guitars besides restringing them 'lefty'.

Although I must admit, an old guitar in great shape is a dream to play because the necks are worn and feel warm and smooth. The bodies seem to be on the lighter side weight wise.

Archived