anyone here worked as a freight handler?

cobberdig

• Members

My friend's dad did when he was a kid growing up in the city. He has some real horror stories... Literally, horror. I'm not talking guitars with broken headstocks.

For example, he said there was a huge downward spiral track/road that trucks came down to unload their shipments in the main warehouse. If someone was standing on that track, such a big truck certainly couldn't just stop, especially with other trucks behind it going the same speed... So people would just get creamed, employees no less, just destroyed between the truck and the wall. Since it was the city and they employed so many low-income and poor families, the company would just pay the family a decent-sized settlement to leave it at that. Being so poor, the families couldn't afford to sue or take all the time off work that court would require, so they'd just take the settlement and sign the papers.

Certainly there are a lot more safety and hazard laws to protect people against this kind of thing now, but back then...

• Members

You fogot one...

- Pilots think they are gods.

no, thats not true.

lets work with some stereotypes:

pilots thisnk they are god - false. they are quite nice people.

male FA'a are gay - false. ok, no, thats true.

female FA's are gay - false.. they are bi.

aircraft crews have big orgies after the flights in the hotel room - false, they have small orgies after the flight - on the plane.

hmmm, i guess im not helping. :p

i was catering staff, more than once i found flight attendands doing naughty things on the plane while i was loading food.

• Members

My friend's dad did when he was a kid growing up in the city. He has some real horror stories... Literally, horror. I'm not talking guitars with broken headstocks.

For example, he said there was a huge downward spiral track/road that trucks came down to unload their shipments in the main warehouse. If someone was standing on that track, such a big truck certainly couldn't just stop, especially with other trucks behind it going the same speed... So people would just get creamed, employees no less, just destroyed between the truck and the wall. Since it was the city and they employed so many low-income and poor families, the company would just pay the family a decent-sized settlement to leave it at that. Being so poor, the families couldn't afford to sue or take all the time off work that court would require, so they'd just take the settlement and sign the papers.

Certainly there are a lot more safety and hazard laws to protect people against this kind of thing now, but back then...

thats a sad story. its the sort of job thats so fast paced it feels like your forever dodging some sort of injury. the place i worked you basically had to pack the truck at same speed they run the conveyor. that means stuff getting pegged left right and centre. the worst was the small boxes with heavy stuff like motors or bolts etc you pick em up ready to peg it but you just gotta drop it at yr feet. size trickery... yes i remember big bastards with no necks and arms the size kegs pegging tv's in the back of containers for a living....

Archived