'Shine' guitars, anyone?

AlexMC

• Members

makes you wonder why, if those factories are using so much basswood, which they are, why Agiles have NEVER had one basswood guitar?

Most of the current Chinese Shine guitars use basswood. They have a few (hard) ash and mahogany models as well though. I doubt that they used basswood when they made Epis in Korea.

Un Sung seems to use mahogany/korina most of the time.

http://www.unsung.co.kr/html/products.html

• Members

Ok so I ordered the SIL-510 yesterday at 2pm... it arrived here in the office at 10.30am today. Well packaged etc, no damage to box.

I open it up and they've sent me the wrong colour... black with a faint greyish wood quilting showing through. Not as nice as the red IMO.

Aside from that it's pretty immaculate... flawless finish, straight neck, smooth frets etc... but the inside of the f-hole is painted with a matt black paint which doesn't look so great (how are f-holes normally finished?).

I'm going to call the store to arrange a swap, I think - I really wanted the red finish.

Grrr!

• Members

Shine did a range to suit all pockets from plywood, up to this baby

shine.jpg

rondo is still doing a few douglasses like that one. not exatly the same, but close. and definitely not basswood...

viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=397

not bad looking for $160. the black and blue versions come with emg hz pickups but cost a little more and have a dorky looking scorpoin inlay.

• Moderators

rondo is still doing a few douglasses like that one. not exatly the same, but close. and definitely not basswood...

viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=397

not bad looking for $160. the black and blue versions come with emg hz pickups but cost a little more and have a dorky looking scorpoin inlay.

They obviously recycled that pattern, but the Shine was SD pups, OFR vibrato ebony board, neck thru was flame maple and walnut with mahogany wings and locking Schaller tuners

• Members

They obviously recycled that pattern, but the Shine was SD pups, OFR vibrato ebony board, neck thru was flame maple and walnut with mahogany wings and locking Schaller tuners

yeah, this line seems to range from the sub $99 to $200+

depends what the customer asks for i guess. douglas is aimed fairly low end, what you have would probably be $3-400+ and not very "douglas".

• Members

I use to have a Shine W3250, its was a great guitar that I still deeply regret selling.

Uhg! I didn't need to read that.

I've been wanting to thin the herd, and in trying to come up with valid reasons to justify to myself, choosing this guitar or that one, I aimed at a 5 guitar stand I have, thinking I want to clear it off, so anything there has got to go.

My Shine branded guitar is on that rack.

No, don't bother looking, it isn't in the spam thread, haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet, and your post doesn't help. :)

• Members

Ok so I ordered the SIL-510 yesterday at 2pm... it arrived here in the office at 10.30am today. Well packaged etc, no damage to box.

I open it up and they've sent me the wrong colour... black with a faint greyish wood quilting showing through. Not as nice as the red IMO.

Aside from that it's pretty immaculate... flawless finish, straight neck, smooth frets etc... but the inside of the f-hole is painted with a matt black paint which doesn't look so great (how are f-holes normally finished?).

I'm going to call the store to arrange a swap, I think - I really wanted the red finish.

Grrr!

Now I am really pissed off!

The replacement arrived this morning... in damaged packaging. There's a hole right through the bubblewrap and cardboard box and a deep ding in the fret/fingerboard. The bottom E string is snapped and the 7th fret is mashed up... totally unusable.

So the store is sending out a THIRD guitar today for delivery tomorrow. I was supposed to receive the damn thing last Friday (and looking forward to playing it over the weekend)... hopefully they'll get this one right!

I'm losing faith in mail order.

• Members

Now I am really pissed off!

I'm losing faith in mail order.

I don't blame you, I'd be pissed off too.

Getting a guitar shipped to me always has me on edge, wondering how it will arrive. The last couple guitars I bought from private parties, I wondered how they made it without being damaged or destroyed. And one I bought from a music dealer didn't come wrapped much better.

Archived