FLOYD ROSE II???

libskate44@yaho

• Members

The single locking FR II's are crap but there is another FR II. It's identical to the Schaller FR. It's pretty decent and is double locking.

Yep, and Floyd Rose IIs came out stock on some Fender Heartfields.

They are double locking and extremely good for that 'flutter' effect :thu:

However, care needs to be taken when tightening the saddle screws, as they can strip the base plate hole if too much pressure is applied. Overall though, a great bridge. And, yes, the Schaller Trem is the same unit.

• Members

They are junk, single locking, soft metal.

No, they're extremely good.

No, they are double locking (check out Fender Heartfields, for example).

Yes, the base plate metal is softer than other Floyds, thus care needs to be taken when tightening the saddle screws (ALWAYS use the short end to turn the allen key).

• Members

Yea that is fine for that version, but you know the one pictured was the one I was talking about. Not the one found on the heartfield, however that is not saying much for the one on the talon. Did a bit of research on that version of the 2. The ofr and frp were designated on the higher models of the talon, not all talons had the frII. The frII came on the sub $500 model. The frII was around before those were introduced. If the base of the double locking version is soft metal as has been said then it would pretty much equate to a lo trsII. I stand with my they are junk soft metal comment minus the single locking part. "Yes, the base plate metal is softer than other Floyds, thus care needs to be taken when tightening the saddle screws ":rolleyes: people make that excuse for the lo trsII as well as alot of the soft metal licenced versions.

281426338.jpg

• Members

I've beaten the crap out of one for 11 years, including about 8 years of it being my gigging guit' in 2 bands. ('94 MIJ strat) I just cleaned it for the first time last week (stripped it to pieces, soaked everything in WD-40 and reassembled). Besides a bit of rust due to neglect, it's perfect -- no stripped threads, metal wear or locked-up screws.

The FRIIs might be the cheaper alternative, but that doesn't mean they don't last... it's a world away from the P.O.S licensed floyd i had on a short-lived ibanez.

• Members

Yea that is fine for that version, but you know the one pictured was the one I was talking about. Not the one found on the heartfield, however that is not saying much for the one on the talon. Did a bit of research on that version of the 2. The ofr and frp were designated on the higher models of the talon, not all talons had the frII.

Correct. I have at least one of each Heartfield model, and they have Original Floyd, Floyd Rose II, and Floyd Rose Pro trems.

Strangely enough, the FRII is my favourite, although, I did strip one of the saddle screws and had to replace the trem with a Schaller :cry: on one of my lower priced Talons.

• Members

This Floyd rocks.

Picture073.jpg

I've had Kahlers, Original Floyds, Ibz Lo-Pro Edge and Lo-TRS and a bunch of shitty clones. Aside fron this one being 12+ years old, it still kicks ass and never goes out of tune. Only one I like better is on my Music Man and it's custom-made for Music Man Gotoh.

• Members

No, they're extremely good.

No, they are double locking (check out Fender Heartfields, for example).

Yes, the base plate metal is softer than other Floyds, thus care needs to be taken when tightening the saddle screws (ALWAYS use the short end to turn the allen key).

Read the notes above. There are two versions of the FRII and one is a complete piece of {censored}. I had one on my Kramer Striker in the 80's. Blades are SUPER soft metal, saddles are single locking, and the baseplate is cheap pot metal. Avoid the single-locking FRII at all costs.

The other FRII (90's version) is nearly identical to the Schaller. I prefer the OFR to either FRII or Schaller Floyd, but the later version of the FRII is definitely serviceable.

• Members

... saddles are single locking ...

A double-locking trem system is one that locks the strings at both ends,

i.e. they are clamped at the bridge and also at the nut.

Bridge: the ball ends on the string are cut off and clamped into the saddle.

Nut: there are (usually) 3 clamps which tighten down to prevent string slippage.

This is a double-locking tremolo system.

Some systems only clamp the string at ONE end: these are single-locking trems.

• Members

A double-locking trem system is one that locks the strings at both ends...

Cow,

I've been playing guitar for 23 years and know what a double locking trem is.

...and the Floyd Rose II (version 1) was not one of them.

See here: http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts/floydII.jpg

Note the very large saddles--that is where the ball ends rest, without being cut off or clamped in any way. There was a locking nut, but no locks at the bridge end. Hence, my statement that it is a single locking trem. I owned one and replaced it with a REAL floyd (double locking) after about 6 months of dealing with the tuning instability. Technically the saddles don't lock on the FRII, and I should have stated that the bridge system is single locking (not the saddles).

Even Wikipedia knows they're single locking trems:

Floyd Rose II is a lower end version of the Original Floyd used mostly on import and mid-range instruments. Originally, Floyd IIs were single locking, locking only at the nut. Later versions were made double locking, but used weaker materials than the Original Floyd Rose, making them less dependable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose

I also stated that later (in the 90's; version 2) the FRII was made like the current Schaller model, which is a double locking trem.

• Members

A double-locking trem system is one that locks the strings at both ends,

i.e. they are clamped at the bridge and also at the nut.

Bridge: the ball ends on the string are cut off and clamped into the saddle.

Nut: there are (usually) 3 clamps which tighten down to prevent string slippage.

This is a double-locking tremolo system.

Listen to the man, there are 2 "Floyd Rose II" bridges out there, yours is not the only style ever made. None of the cheapo Kramers in the 80's might've made it to Australia, but there are tons of them here in the US with the single locking "Floyd Rose II" stock.

• Members

Listen to the man, there are 2 "Floyd Rose II" bridges out there, yours is not the only style ever made. None of the cheapo Kramers in the 80's might've made it to Australia, but there are tons of them here in the US with the single locking "Floyd Rose II" stock.

The US ?? :confused:

• Members

Oh come on, you can't figure that out, but I'm supposed to believe your posts?
:bor:

If I put Aussie, would you know where I was talking about?

Oh, I know what US is: my point is that it's not important.

I'm more concerned with the rest of the world :poke:

• Members

Oh, I know what US is: my point is that it's not important.

I'm more concerned with the rest of the world :poke:

That has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not there was a single locking Floyd Rose II, which there was. :freak:

Archived