FLOYD ROSE II???

libskate44@yaho

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have a Non-locking FRII in a box and I also had a Locking one on a MIM Sambora Strat. The locking one is exactly the same as the Schaller I have on my Blazer

I read something somewhere that Schaller didn't like making the Locking FRIIs because they were exactly the same as theirs, only they had to include the "Licenced Under Floyd Rose Patents" statement on theirs...

I tried to order some of the short Schaller screws with one of my orders from Floyd Rose and they told me that there is no support for the FRIIs anymore from them. Weird...

• Members

Also:

I think the single-locking FRII's said "Floyd Rose" on the base plate, and not "Floyd Rose II" like on the later double-locking models. The one on my Kramer Striker is a single-locking FRII that says only "Floyd Rose" on the base plate.

The one I had definitely had Floyd Rose II on the baseplate, like the one here on VintageKramer.com:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts/floydII.jpg

I have also used the Ping and didn't like it as much as an OFR. The chrome plating chipped off after about 4-5 months of use, and it sounds...bright. So, I guess the name "ping" is appropriate. The Ping version LOOKS like more like an OFR than any of the other copies, but mine didn't live up to all the hype.

The only 2 "FR" style trems I find myself going back to are the OFR and the Ibanez Edge. Both are very stable and have a great feel when properly set up.

• Members

The one I had definitely had Floyd Rose II on the baseplate, like the one here on VintageKramer.com:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts/floydII.jpg

I have also used the Ping and didn't like it as much as an OFR. The chrome plating chipped off after about 4-5 months of use, and it sounds...bright. So, I guess the name "ping" is appropriate. The Ping version LOOKS like more like an OFR than any of the other copies, but mine didn't live up to all the hype.

The only 2 "FR" style trems I find myself going back to are the OFR and the Ibanez Edge. Both are very stable and have a great feel when properly set up.

One of these days I'll get an OFR for my Fullerton.:idea:

But so far, the Ping I have on it is staying in tune and the strings aren't coming out of the saddles (which is good enough for me right now).:love:

• Members

When I was in HS in the late 80s-early 90s, I had a friend that had either a Striker or a Focus that had, I think, an FRII. The strings went in the end of the trem, behind the fine tuners whereas on an OFR, the screws to tighten/lock the strings in place are.

I assume this is what we are calling the 'terrible, horrible piece of crap' trem in this thread.

I would completely agree. I had a Baretta at the time with an OFR that was dead reliable. It would not go out of tune unless there were pretty serious temperature changes. My friends guitar would go out of tune with just heavy rhythm playing without even using the trem at all. I think his was still about a $400-ish guitar, but it left a bad enough impression that even today, almost 20 years later, I'd sway someone away from it.

Later he got an Ibanez 500 or 550 or something like that that was about $60 (again, this was about 1990) and the trem in that guitar was outstanding and he never had tuning issues again!

Archived