Weird problem with my Dean Evo

Lost Kiwi

• Members

Hi guys

I have a Dean Evo special, it is a mahogany/maple set neck les paul style korean import, tune-o-matic bridge with a stoptail.

It has been fine up until recently. What happened was, I got a telecaster, which I had set up and strung with 10's. The things sounds great but unfortunately, using 10's on the tele made the 10's on the Dean feel like wet noodles. So I dropped the Dean off at my tech to have a new nut cut for it (graphtec) and set up and strung with 11's.

Now it sounds and feels great, but he didn't do a very good job with the intonation so I have been favouring the Tele for a few months now because the intonation on the Dean was audibly wrong in the upper frets. SO last night I sat down to adjust the intonation. This went well and now the thing is intonated perfectly, but while I was working on it I noticed a really weird problem: I tune the low E to the correct pitch. Then I tune the A to the correct pitch. Then when I check the low E again, it has gone noticeably SHARP. So I give the string a good tug and this seems to settle it back to pitch. Next I tune the D to pitch, then when I check the low E it has gone sharp again - so has the A string! I yank on both strings a bit and this settles them back down again. The same thing occurs when I tune the G to pitch.

Anyone know what is going on here? I would have thought if the neck was flexing under the increased tension of the 11's, that the strings would go FLAT rather than SHARP when the adjacent strings are tightened?

Any help would be appreciated - I really don't want to go back to 10's if I can help it!

• Members

How can it be the nut sticking that is causing the problem? The string tunes to pitch fine with no apparent binding, it only goes sharp when I tune the adjacent string.

Hmmm.

1. Try tuning down to pitch, rather than up. See if it sticks.

2. Check to make sure the nut is secure

3. Ensure you have proper truss rod tension

4. Sacrifice a packet of picks to the setup fairy

• Members

Peavey_Impact - Good call! I will check that end of it tonight. Because the saddles for the bass strings are angled back toward the tailpeice, the extra tension could force the whole bridge to rock back slightly, this might cause the other strings to go sharp. Oh well, might be time to upgrade the bridge and tailpeice - any recomendations?

• Members
Peavey_Impact - Good call! I will check that end of it tonight. Because the saddles for the bass strings are angled back toward the tailpeice, the extra tension could force the whole bridge to rock back slightly, this might cause the other strings to go sharp. Oh well, might be time to upgrade the bridge and tailpeice - any recomendations?

Gotoh, TonePros

Archived