Valve Junior - Loud enough for small gigs?

Tom B.

• Members

Yeah, Mr. Metallica is usually on point, but I don't get his logic here, either. Maybe all the drummers I've played with have been weenies,

Apparently. Unless you were in a very tiny venue with a jazz drummer I find that hard to believe. No way I could gig with 5 watts unmic'd either.

• Members

Hell yes! I use mine all the time.

l_c2954810a311d5929ef606e4b605ab46.jpg

same here

one is retubed for cleans & goes past 9 before breaking up

the other for crunch & starts breaking up at around 3

cab has been rewired as 2 2x12s

play through an ernie ball passive pan pedal & have either amp or a combination of the two

telerig.jpg

• Members

I used mine with a 2x12 cab for a gig with about 100 people and it was fine. As already mentioned though, you'll not get a very clean tone once you get the volume up to an acceptable level :)

I think I might invest in a cheap solid state head for the cleans :)

131220071004-1.jpg

• Members

In my opinion Meandi has it all set up. I currently own and run 2 Epi Jr. heads and have retubed one with a 12AT7 preamp tube for more clean headroom. Now I can maintain a clean volume all the way up to about 75-80%... and then after that the break-up is only marginal.

I really like this set up now. I just used pedals for any dirt (a Fish and Chips EQ with about 5 to 10 db boost for minor grit and an Yngwie Malmsteen overdrive to really push it over the top). With those 2 pedals it is like having a 4 channel amp. Clean without any pedals active, rhythm grit with the EQ pedal active, a higher gain rhythm lead with the YJM active, and total reckless abandon with both the EQ and YJM active.

I have found that this set up completely solves the problem of that flubby low-end when running a 12AX7 in the preamp stage of the Epi. I hated the thing until I came up with this latest setup.

I've yet to go stereo like Meandi... I am just using the other head as backup now... and because I scored a great deal on it:lol:

Cheers,

David Jon

• Members

They're pretty loud, but I'm not sure it'd cut it if you had a heavy-handed drummer.

Depends on the cabinet you use and how much headroom you need. I've gigged mine through a 2x10 in a medium sized, open room and it was just a little bit underpowered for that situation. If I was running it through a 4x12 or even a more efficient 2x12 it probably would have been enough.

• Members

F'n Nice!

for those that are interested

i have aspen pimans "the tube amp book" & when i got the heads i researched the different tubes available for use in a clean/dirty setup

clean amp

groove tubes 12 au7..."will yield most clean headroom, while imparting a softer touch"

groove tubes el84 hardness #8

dirty amp

groove tubes ecc83

groove tubes el84 hardness 3

everyone who has heard/played this rig is amazed at the tone, especially considering how much $s i don't have invested in it

• Members

it's always been more than i need in my situations

my son giged it once in a fairly large room, but they always mike stuff to keep stage volumn down, so i can't say how it would do un-miked in a larger room

with 2 kids in college, this is about all i can afford at this time

• Members

I've played lots of gigs with smaller amplifiers. On a duo gig in a small restaurant I used a ValveTrain 205 tweed Princeton clone- about 5 watts with an 8 inch speaker. For a little extra I used a treble booster. I have also done several gigs with a Pro Junior and with a Trace Elliot Velocette- 15 watts with a 10" speaker.

• Members

like so many things it's all relative

stadiums require much more than coffee house shows

actually most of the stuff i do could be done, volumn wise, with my v.j. combo

however i like the versatility of sound available with the dual head setup

Archived