Recommend A Guitar That STAYS IN TUNE!

DammitJanet

• Members

Intonation stability? Strat aren't prone to losing the intonation once it's set. Floyds can, because the saddle clamp screws can slip, but strats don't work like that. It's virtually impossible for the intonation to change at the bringe unless you apply a screwdriver to it. Of course, changing strings (brand, gauge) will screw with your intonation, but you knew that... Right?

• Members

Intonation stability? Strat aren't prone to losing the intonation once it's set. Floyds can, because the saddle clamp screws can slip, but strats don't work like that. It's virtually impossible for the intonation to change at the bringe unless you apply a screwdriver to it. Of course, changing strings (brand, gauge) will screw with your intonation, but you knew that... Right?

Actually, I don't play nearly as much guitar as most people here, so no, I didn't know that. The thing is that I'm dissatisfied with my skill despite the years I've been playing, so I want to go back to guitar with a more serious attitude towards pratice and learning. And come to think of it, I've hardly ever changed strings and used the exact same model/brand afterwards. :thu:

I'm still sure that I want to sell my Strat and putting the money toward a new axe, despite loving the strat tone. Although I've never been able to get a SRV, Prince, or David Gilmour sound from mine. :cry:

So it sounds like the tuning issue will be less of an issue as long as I get the guitar set up properly. That said, it's time to focus on tone. I don't play much heavy rock any more, and I'm kind of partial to P-90 tones. My new band plays sort of new wavey electro/surf stuff (B-52's, New Order, Pixies) and I'm not sure what's going to suit that kind of music the best. Someone suggested the DiPinto Galaxies that Los Straitjackets use.

• Members

So it sounds like the tuning issue will be less of an issue as long as I get the guitar set up properly. That said, it's time to focus on tone. I don't play much heavy rock any more, and I'm kind of partial to P-90 tones. My new band plays sort of new wavey electro/surf stuff (B-52's, New Order, Pixies) and I'm not sure what's going to suit that kind of music the best.

Tone is what you make it. Don't assume you can't do metal on a single coil or blues on a humbucker. Yes, some are better suited to paticular tasks than others, but it can be done. If you want a new world of tonal bliss, get a POD X3. You'll have more amps and inspiration than you can ever get tired of.

• Members

The neck relief could have changed

• Members

Not likely.. Most likly it's poorly strung (not enough wraps, do 3 wraps on the wound strings, 6 on the plain strings) or binding at the nut (when strings corode, it can come off and get in the nut slot.. Clean it out and put some nut sauce in there).. The odds of the wood actually moving enough to knock it COMPLETELY out of tune are nil.

I've been stringing my guitars like this for years.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

I wasn't meaning COMPLETELY out of tune just slightly out.

I have a LP with klusons and two Carvin's with sperzels that can sit for weeks unplayed and still be perfectly in tune.

Not so with many budget guitars I've had even after mods and extensive setups.

• Members

If you want a new guitar with a trem bar......

Get the Fender MIM Fat Strat (HSS Config.) with an original Floyd Rose......

Musician's friend sells them for 499.99 minus the 20% off letter you got in the mail makes it 400.00 even .... That's a DEAL for a strat with an ORIGINAL FLOYD ROSE!!!!!

They are very decent strats and come in White, Black, Burgandy, Red and maybe another color or two (I can't remember right now).

• Members

Actually, I'll be running my guitar through Guitar Rig 3 in my Powerbook, then straight to the board, so I've already got plenty of amps/effects at my disposal. Just got it though, so I haven't had a lot of time to experiment. Still, I feel it's time to pass the strat on to a more loving owner and pick up something new for myself to mark my return to the instrument, lol.

• Members

I believe it's an early nineties model. Is there a place I can type in the serial number and find out for sure? It's got a midnight wine finish. Totally stock. I'll get some pics up soon as I'm at home for the holidays (in missouri) and my axe is in Nashville. I took the pickguard off for about a year when I was running around picking up signatures on it from a bunch of bands. I wonder if that'll up the price at all. Probably depends on whether the buyers are fans or not. :)

• Members

Of all my electrics, my Epiphone Firebird Studio stays in tune the best. You could toss the thing off a cliff and it wouldn't knock it out of tune. It's probably because of the Steinberger tuners. It's the first electric I've had with these tuners and I love 'em. You won't see the Epi Firebird Studios at Sam Ash or Guitar Satan, though... they don't carry them in the stores. I bought mine from MF based on all the stellar reviews (back when it was a "Limited Edition") and it was all that it was said to be and more. It's waaay better than I expected. They only cost $399, and it's the best guitar under $400 that I've ever played.

• Members

I find that all my guitars will drift off 440 pitch .. from one day to the next ,,, they dont go out of tune with themselves but will drift off the 440 due to temp, humidity etc. Sometimes i think people change strings too often ,,, they stretch. So if you are re stringing the the thing every week ,, it may be that your strings never get to the point where they stop stretching. rat

• Members

Raven has got the thread.. everything he said I believe is spot on. You don't buy a guitar because it stays in tune like a 'motherf#cker' ... you buy your guitar because you know what to do with it, or willing to learn. I have been playing a MIM strat for 15 years (probably more) ... and the thing is spot on. No problems at all... unless the strings are old, or I am having a horrible night (it HAS been known to happen.. ;))

Seriously.. I have $59 guitars ( I am sure Frets does too) that stay in tune just as much as my $700 guits... The technique of stringing goes a long way.. as does the nut, the condition of the neck, the trem and the tuners.

• Members

You don't buy a guitar because it stays in tune like a 'motherf#cker' ... you buy your guitar because you know what to do with it, or willing to learn.

I'm not saying my MIM is a piece of {censored}. I'm just not happy with it, and never really have been. I'm glad your cheap guitars work for you. I'm just feel like I've outgrown mine. I've played the faded SG quite a bit in stores and enjoyed its feel and tone quite a bit. If it stays in tune the way people here are saying it does, it sounds like a great way to go so far.

• Members

A guitar not staying in tune has one of two things...

1 - Malfunctioning hardware.. Take it to a tech if you can't figure it out..

or

2 - an incompetent player..

Sounds to me like you need to educate yourself a bit more on WHY it won't stay in tune rather than whipping out the checkbook for another guitar (that likely won't be any better than this one once you get ahold of it...) Not trying to be insulting, just honest and save you some wasted $$$...

That's right - tell some more people to educate themselves. Must make you feel good.

Incompetent playing has little to do with whether or not a guitar stays in tune, unless your playing involves neck bending etc. It has a lot to do with whether a person can tune in the first place. I recently possessed a very expensive Gibson that was sent to three different technicians, who couldn't solve its tuning problem. So your number 1 can also be wrong. Some guitars have more serious problems like warped necks, and some, I have come to the conclusion, just won't stay in tune very well however hard you try.

I have found that Fenders stay in tune very well on the whole. I have had more problems with Gibson style set ups.

Archived