Problem with a floyd lock nut

FastRedPonyCar

• Members

This is the problem. Strings all go sharp when the lock nut blocks are tightened down.

I know one solution is a string retainer tree but I'd prefer not to have to drill into the headstock.

are there flat or flatter lock nuts out there I could just swap on? All the floyd nuts from stew mac and warmoth and a couple other parts places all have this sharp angle back.

locknut.jpg

• Members

That really needs the string bar installed.

It already has the Floyd nut, adding the bar will not devalue or harm the guitar in any way. It will make it work properly.

That nut should sit flat also. Why is it angled forward?

• Members

im confused..the strings are ment to go sharp when the nut is clamped...thats what the finer tuners are for.....am i missing something?

No, you should be able to tune the guitar with the nut locks loose and it should then still be in tune when locked.

If the strings are flat against the surface of the nut, the clamps will not change the pitch more than a few cents when locked.

• Members

This is correct, but even though my Carvins have a sufficiently angled headstock, if you open the locking nut really loose, and tighten down, the strings will go sharp...this happens on all of my floyd guitars without string bars...you don't need to loosen the locking nut very much to use the tuning machines though, this is where most guys go wrong...just like you don't need to over tighten them to lock the strings down.

• Members

This is the problem. Strings all go sharp when the lock nut blocks are tightened down.

I know one solution is a string retainer tree but I'd prefer not to have to drill into the headstock.

are there flat or flatter lock nuts out there I could just swap on? All the floyd nuts from stew mac and warmoth and a couple other parts places all have this sharp angle back.

locknut.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

I can see spaces under your strings where the locking blocks clamp down.

This is where I would try to slip a thin piece of metal under the strings to fill up the space. A strip just long enough and narrow enough for the neck and Floyd nut lock channel.

Trim a piece of tin can lid to fit. Hammer it flat. File the edges. Use a drop of rubber glue to hold it in place.

Hopefully this fills up the space under your strings and they can't be pushed down any further to cause the strings to go sharp during "lock-down".

• Members

I assumed it was a real floyd nut... the actual floyd is the original.

I'll just get a string tree this afternoon. The nut looks like it's off balance due to the maple veneer on the top of the headstock getting thinner at the nut.. I could shim up the side closest to the fretboard but that would only raise the action. It's not a problem though as the nut is secure and tight against the headstock.

The nut being angled like that is only a problem for the top E string. I use a D-tuna and the fine tuner has to be practically all the way loose and the string locked in place at the nut for the D-tuna to have perfect pitch when going from the E to D. If the fine tuner is pushing the saddle down at all, usually the string won't be in perfect pitch when the D-tuna is moved to one or the other tunings.

Archived