490R, 498T and full pickguard in G400?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Considering upgrading my G-400. How much of an improvement will I get by putting a 490R and 498T in there? I know Epi SGs are some mystery wood under the veneer, so how close will I get to a nice SG sound just by putting in these hb's? Also is it possible to put the full batwing pickguard on a G-400?

• Members

is the G400's pickguard screwed on or glued on? i couldnt tell from the pictures on MF, if its glued on then all you'd have to do is drill the holes for the new pickguard. and put in whatever pickups you'd like. I'd bet you'd get pretty close to a gibby's sound, would be a bit darker do to more bulk in the guitar itself.

• Members

I have a G400 and was thinking of doing the same thing, upgrading the pups. But the stock ones are pretty decent. I'll report back, but I have a Gibson LP Special with the 498/490 in it, and an Epi LP with a SD JB/Jazz combo in it. I think I like the Epi the best, but I just got the Special, so not sure yet. For me, if I replace the pups on the G400, it would probably be with the Gibson 57 Classic/Classic+. Especially since I already have the 490/498 combo. But the 490/498 is a very good pup combo, and if you can get a set at a good price, a good way to go imo. The JB/Jazz are good pups, not sure how they would do in an all mahogany guitar, but probably just fine. The Jazz might get a bit muddy. I had a pair of GFS '59s in my Epi Custom LP, and frankly thought the stock Epi pups were just as good. My luthier thought so too. What sound are you after?

P.S., my G400 looks just like your Avatar, G400Man

• Members

SH-6 Duncan 'Distortion' Pickups.

I swear these things ream the air in front of them.

Pure Power sound with just enough cut/but backs away nicley and cleans up like a dream. Coil tapped they give a very good stratty type chunk.

Mayhem (matched) pair is $130.

On another note, being tempted to remove the mid pickup and go deuce has crossed my mind. :idea: That would require the '66 pickguard to cover the holes.

So yes, it is do-able.

(the former bridge pickup rests in the neck position, turned around. It behaves like a very good rhythm tone pickup now. The 13.5 rating goes well with the Duncans)

• Members

meh, why bother with overpriced gibson pickups, when you can get something a whole lot better, for instance, a duncan JB and a Jazz or 59' is loads better, for starters, what type of music do you play

I use the G400 for more hard rock, distortion stuff like AC/DC. Hmm I think Epi just says it's mahogany and the core is really just some generic wood. I remember trying an SG special and the bridge had a lot more bite which is what I want. Kinda wanna go for the Angus sound. Would the JB Jazz combo work well? I'm really not sure what brand/combo to go for, but I thought if I wanted to get that Angusy sound I should go for Gibson pups. Pickguard is screwed on btw.

• Members

I use the G400 for more hard rock, distortion stuff like AC/DC. Hmm I think Epi just says it's mahogany and the core is really just some generic wood. I remember trying an SG special and the bridge had a lot more bite which is what I want. Kinda wanna go for the Angus sound. Would the JB Jazz combo work well? I'm really not sure what brand/combo to go for, but I thought if I wanted to get that Angusy sound I should go for Gibson pups. Pickguard is screwed on btw.

SH-6 Duncan 'Distortion' Pickups.:rolleyes::lol::evil::blah::wave:

• Members

I put a Dumarzio Breed Neck in the Bridge, and a Dimarzio Virtual PAF in the neck of my G-400 66 (You did say it was a full pickguard model, right ?), and I was VERY happy with the tone. Nice thing about the Breed (and some other models) is it has two rows of adjustable pole pieces, so you can stagger the two rows of pole pieces to match the string angle at the bridge. Not having an angled pickup ring at the bridge means the pickup body will always be parallel to the body, not to the strings. Can't be too big of a deal, cause the Gibsons are are made the same way, but I feel better when I can get the pole pieces on both coils parallel to the strings.

Some other things you "might" run into:

-The stock pickup screws that come with Dimarzio's and Duncans are too long and will dig into the body (Shallow pickup cavity). You'll need some shorter ones.

-The hole between the bridge pickup cavity and the control cavity was fairly small. The stock skinny epi wires went through it just fine, but if one or both your replacement pickups have large cables (Like the virtual PAF), you'll have to enlarge that hole.

-You'll have to remove the the bridge post inserts to remove the pickguard. While I was at it, I went ahead and enlarged the pickguard holes and put the inserts directly into the wood. Made it easier for future pickup changes.

• Members

I put a Dumarzio Breed Neck in the Bridge, and a Dimarzio Virtual PAF in the neck of my G-400 66 (You did say it was a full pickguard model, right ?), and I was VERY happy with the tone. Nice thing about the Breed (and some other models) is it has two rows of adjustable pole pieces, so you can stagger the two rows of pole pieces to match the string angle at the bridge. Not having an angled pickup ring at the bridge means the pickup body will always be parallel to the body, not to the strings. Can't be too big of a deal, cause the Gibsons are are made the same way, but I feel better when I can get the pole pieces on both coils parallel to the strings.

-The stock pickup screws that come with Dimarzio's and Duncans are too long and will dig into the body (Shallow pickup cavity). You'll need some shorter ones.

-The hole between the bridge pickup cavity and the control cavity was fairly small. The stock skinny epi wires went through it just fine, but if one or both your replacement pickups have large cables (Like the virtual PAF), you'll have to enlarge that hole.

-You'll have to remove the the bridge post inserts to remove the pickguard. While I was at it, I went ahead and enlarged the pickguard holes and put the inserts directly into the wood. Made it easier for future pickup changes.

Ooops, my bad, not a full pickguard at present. But if you put a foll one on it, same issues.

• Members

Just a warning if you want to install a full pickguard on a G400 - the Gibson SG standard pickguard will not fit - the pickups are in slightly different positions. If you wanted a full pickguard it would need to be a custom make one or one that is sold to fit epiphone G400's.

Regarding the pickups, I put a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz in my G400 and am very pleased with the results. However at a later date I also changed the pots/switch/jack/wiring and that also made a huge difference to the sound! So if you are going to upgrade the pickups, you should think about upgrading the wiring too. :)

• Members

I also installed a breed neck into the bridge of my epi g-400, no problem with the stock pickup screws. I atcually like the sound of the stock epi neck pup (i know call me crazy), but it was rather difficult to fit both pickup wires through that narrow channel. I did it though.

I would strongly reccomend the Breed neck for the bridge postion of your axe. Its not super hot, but its slightly hotter than the stock bridge pup, with more presence and clarity as well. It would work perfect for Angus Young type tones:thu:

• Members

ok i'll go on the dimarzio and seymour duncan sites to give a listen. too bad gibson doesnt have sound clips of their pups.

btw so if i need to buy a full pickguard made for epi's where would be a good place to get one? can't seem to find it on ebay

Gibson pickguards won't fit and different models of Epi SG's have slight differences in the shape of the body.

I had to make my own pickguard to turn a 3 pickup Epi SG Custom into this:

sg11.jpg

Archived