Is a new $5000 Strat really worth $5000?

tjmoto

• Members

I still think spending $5000 on a guitar is stupid. But if I won the lottery:

PRS 513

PRS SC with P-90s

PRS McCarty Hollowbody w/piezo

PRS Modern Eagle

Custom Shop Strat built to my specs

etc...

Again, that is where you and I disagree....if you have the money and you LIKE that custom strat,why not?

Again, this is not about people who spend beyond their means.

But I am assuming that the original poster has the money or would not have asked in the first place.

You don't have to "win a lottery" to buy an expensive guitar, just be able to afford it without going into major debt over it.

Now buying a brand new ferrari? THAT you would need to win a lottery for!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Again, that is where you and I disagree....if you have the money and you LIKE that custom strat,why not?

Again, this is not about people who spend beyond their means.

But I am assuming that the original poster has the money or would not have asked in the first place.

You don't have to "win a lottery" to buy an expensive guitar, just be able to afford it without going into major debt over it.

But I found two dream guitars for a grand total of $2100. They may not be perfect in every aesthetic detail, but they have monster tone, feel as good as sex to play, and stay in tune. I have a strat and a LP. Beyond that, any additional guitars; electric solid bodys anyway, would be a frivolous investment. I am not convinced that anyone "needs" a $5000 guitar to perform/create music, when there are perfectly playable, and thoroughly enjoyable, guitars available for around a grand. I understand that at some point a guitar is going to be so cheap that it won't be fun to play, but beyond a certain point, a person is just feeding their irrational desires to want to own something that luxurious. The only excuse I can think of is comparable to a world class, concert performer owning an expensive violin, or any given horn, piano, etc... But the same world class musician can perform just as well on a lesser quality instrument.

• Moderators

funny how people still don't get that 5 grand ain't that much money to a lot of people.

OK, it's not often I delve into self exposure...but I am wealthy. My home is valued at $1.8M, and I have further property of about $1.2M. So, I'm wealthy, but not "rich", in as much as I don't have pockets full of cash...I'm careful, I spend aftre thinking a few times, part of the reason, why I'm a property millionaire, if not a cash one, but still.....$5k for a Strat? Nah:wave:

And even to anybody with a brain and wealth....5k is a deal of money

• Members

it's really not, man. i could go to my favorite restaurant and drop $10k on a bottle of wine if i were so inclined.

if no one bought it, it wouldn't be on the menu.

it's like i explained to my niece when i bought a $3k watch ... if you had $100 in your pocket, would you be all to worried about spending $3?

• Members

I am not convinced that anyone "needs" a $5000 guitar to perform/create music, when there are perfectly playable, and thoroughly enjoyable, guitars available for around a grand.

I really could care less trying to "convince" you of anything! Again, it is HIS money. And YOU will not be the one playing it!

You seem to justify your response by saying because you found what you were looking for at those prices, everyone should too. Bull{censored}!

• Members

After you go over the $3000 mark you are looking at collector's items most of the time so if it is an investment than the answer would be yes. If you are looking for a player; well I honestly would have to call someone an idiot for dropping that much on something that much unless it was just an incredible guitar and had the godlike sound that had eluded you for years.

My personal limit for a guitar purchase is in the mid $1K range and it has to be a great frickin guitar. In the last 15 years I've only come across one guitar that was over $2K that was more than worth the money and that is mostly because besides the great tone and playability it was a run of 5 LPs in that finish that year so it was a real investment. Only guitar that I passed up on that I am still kicking myself over 15 years later.

The sub-$1K market is loaded with great guitars, the sub-$500 market is an overloaded glut of pretty damn good guitars if you look, but once you get into the $200 and lower range it is a real crapshoot with some decent ones out there.

So I really don't think that unless you are a well paid musician that anything over $2K is ever going to be worth it.

• Members

what's wrong with feeding an irrational desire to own something "luxurious?" ain't that why we work so hard?

damn sure is for me.

If you've earned the funds, and that's what you want, then go ahead. I was just saying that no one NEEDS a guitar that costs that much.

• Members

After you go over the $3000 mark you are looking at collector's items most of the time so if it is an investment than the answer would be yes. If you are looking for a player; well I honestly would have to call someone an idiot for dropping that much on something that much unless it was just an incredible guitar and had the godlike sound that had eluded you for years.

My personal limit for a guitar purchase is in the mid $1K range and it has to be a great frickin guitar. In the last 15 years I've only come across one guitar that was over $2K that was more than worth the money and that is mostly because besides the great tone and playability it was a run of 5 LPs in that finish that year so it was a real investment. Only guitar that I passed up on that I am still kicking myself over 15 years later.

The sub-$1K market is loaded with great guitars, the sub-$500 market is an overloaded glut of pretty damn good guitars if you look, but once you get into the $200 and lower range it is a real crapshoot with some decent ones out there.

So I really don't think that unless you are a well paid musician that anything over $2K is ever going to be worth it.

But to you, you think that the celing is $3,000.00 because that is what YOU think a expensive guitar should cost. But a lot of small luither guitars cost WAY more than that just starting out!

And some of them will beat the crap out of some production guitars, so you can't put a celing on price and say that is where it ends.

And I simply do not believe in collecting guitars or any instrument just to display only. That was not it's intended purpose, if you want to talk rare and can't find items try a stradivarius violin. Those things go for millions of dollars because they do not even know how they were made or what materials were used.

Yet a lot of those are being used by classical musicians at concerts the world over. If ANY instrument was going to be "locked in a glass case" you would think THAT would be it.....not so. So I do not understand this compulsion to lock up guitars in glass cases, when they cost much less than any stradivarius

violin! To me, that is just plain stupid.

• Members

funny how people still don't get that 5 grand ain't that much money to a lot of people.

These people amass wealth by making correct decisions and right calls on investments.

Sure they would pick up a 5K$ guitar if they can sell it for 10K after a few years.

• Members
it's really not, man. i could go to my favorite restaurant and drop $10k on a bottle of wine if i were so inclined.

if no one bought it, it wouldn't be on the menu.

it's like i explained to my niece when i bought a $3k watch ... if you had $100 in your pocket, would you be all to worried about spending $3?

$5k is indeed pocket change for many people especially if you take into account that these instruments are available in the international market as well. If this $5k strat has qualities that you won't find in other, lesser models, no matter how subtle they are, then the guitar is definitely worth it. Anyway, I just wanted to ask, since I like mechanical watches myself, what watch was that :p

• Members

$5k is indeed pocket change for many people especially if you take into account that these instruments are available in the international market as well. If this $5k strat has qualities that you won't find in other, lesser models, no matter how subtle they are, then the guitar is definitely worth it. Anyway, I just wanted to ask, since I like mechanical watches myself, what watch was that
:p

Probably a rolex....but maybe not. Just a guess.

• Members

$5k is indeed pocket change for many people especially if you take into account that these instruments are available in the international market as well. If this $5k strat has qualities that you won't find in other, lesser models, no matter how subtle they are, then the guitar is definitely worth it. Anyway, I just wanted to ask, since I like mechanical watches myself, what watch was that
:p

tag heuer link:

8b1fc2f3bda3aaee8e878843bc42e57c-orig

i did check out some rolexes (the daytona is pretty ok, i guess), but they ain't really my style. a little too old skool for me. i like the more modern stylings of the tags. and yeah, i love the automatics. it's just so damn cool ... this thing perpetually WORKS because of the mechanics.

it's amazingly made ... my watches tend to get beat to hell, but i've had this one for over a year and it still looks brand new. i'm watch obsessed and i just got sick of spending a couple hundred bucks a year the replace whatever cheapo i bought that fell apart. and this one is made (and warrantied) to last as long as i do. and its heavy as hell, which i love.

Archived