Is a new $5000 Strat really worth $5000?

tjmoto

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

my '59 RI was a little less than $4k ... does that count?

I would consider you an expert on the subject. Does a $200-$500 MIM or Squire come close to what you have?....I didn't think so.

And I am not putting down cheaper guitars, so no death threats, please. It's just that most of us have to get the most for the least amount of money. We overlook little things, and say, "this is an awesome guitar", whereas those same little things would not be present or tolerated on a high end instrument. How many times have you read about someone getting a killer deal on a new guitar but the first thing they ask is, "What kind of pickups should I get, the stock ones are a little weak?" or "The pots are cheap so I have to replace them.", etc...

Bottom line...buy the best you can afford. And don't plug in next to me if your $200 deal won't stay in tune after using the whammy bar a few times.

Surfy

• Members

it just kinda gets irritating to see some of the comments that some make about higher priced guitars and the people that buy them. do i look like your stereotypical high end douchebag collector buyer? [lovin on the '59 in question]

1197618320.jpg

i've never said anything negative about any of the cheaper guitars that are talked up. i'm just not interested enough to - if someone has a guitar he loves and it cost $200 or $20,000 - that's all that matters to me. which is why it confuses me that it's so fashionable to attack higher end guitars as "rip offs" or insisting the folks who buy them are stupid.

with that said, i think of it the same as why people gimme {censored} for driving a bmw. there're subtleties in driving them that i am willing to pay for that do not exist on other cars. apparently, i care enough about those subtleties to pay for it. same goes with guitars. i care enough about the subtleties of a gibson custom shop RI to cough up the money for them. if getting them would mean the difference between eating or not for the next month, i wouldn't. but the cost just really isn't an issue for me. i'm fortunate to have worked hard, become established, make some good connections and, in that, do pretty well for myself. i'm not married, i don't have any kids, all i'm really responsible for is myself.

so, like i said way earlier in the thread to bring this back on topic - if you got the cash for a $5k strat - get it if it'll make you happy. if the guitar becomes worth more TO YOU than you paid for it, then it was a hell of a deal.

• Members

I'd like to see some kind of blind play test where people play a guitar without knowing who the manufacturer is.

My guess is that is a lot of mid-range and sub $200-300 guitars would get a lot of praise for their sound and playability.

I think too many people convince themselves beforehand that they're going to like that Gibson Custom Shop better than an Agile or Epiphone just because either consciously or subconsciously they think they're supposed to or that more $$$ automatically means more "better".

I agree that this would be a good deal, but like someone already said, its not gonna happen. You could do it yourself tho, just walk into guitar center and cover headstocks or something and play a couple strats or lps side by side.

My guitar cost me a little over 500 dollars, and I still swapped out the pickups. Looking back I should have bought the C-1 artist with the seymour duncans for 50 dollars less or waited for a used hellraiser but oh well. I love my guitar and for me it was worth every penny. Now I just got out of high school and only make 10 bucks an hour, so 500 is somewhat expensive to me.

If you've got the cash, and think you're getting your money's worth buy it. What you don't want is to spend all the money and then regret it later. Buyer's remorse is not going to let you enjoy the guitar.

• Members

to regular guitar players (no offense) you won't be able to tell the difference. However, if you are a SERIOUS musician you can easily tell the difference between a 1000 strat and a 5000 strat. It's like piano players who can tell the difference between a {censored}ty piano and a nice piano.

• Members

to regular guitar players (no offense) you won't be able to tell the difference. However, if you are a SERIOUS musician you can easily tell the difference between a 1000 strat and a 5000 strat. It's like piano players who can tell the difference between a {censored}ty piano and a nice piano.

Then why do so many serious musicians choose to not bring $5000 strats to gigs.

• Members

Master Built CS Strats are a very very well built Strat. Don't kid yourself thinking a American Serie's is anywhere in the same league. And when you say a 1000. dollar Strat? That to me is what a $1000. dollar Strat is.

I have seen Signature models that were very very well built Strats though. But they are few and far between also. The EJ's are pretty consistant though. And the only Production line with a Quarter Sawn neck?

• Members

1197618320.jpg

i've never said anything negative about any of the cheaper guitars that are talked up. i'm just not interested enough to - if someone has a guitar he loves and it cost $200 or $20,000 - that's all that matters to me. which is why it confuses me that it's so fashionable to attack higher end guitars as "rip offs" or insisting the folks who buy them are stupid.

with that said, i think of it the same as why people gimme {censored} for driving a bmw. there're subtleties in driving them that i am willing to pay for that do not exist on other cars. apparently, i care enough about those subtleties to pay for it. same goes with guitars. i care enough about the subtleties of a gibson custom shop RI to cough up the money for them. if getting them would mean the difference between eating or not for the next month, i wouldn't. but the cost just really isn't an issue for me. i'm fortunate to have worked hard, become established, make some good connections and, in that, do pretty well for myself. i'm not married, i don't have any kids, all i'm really responsible for is myself.

so, like i said way earlier in the thread to bring this back on topic - if you got the cash for a $5k strat - get it if it'll make you happy. if the guitar becomes worth more TO YOU than you paid for it, then it was a hell of a deal.

I drive a Caddy so I catch all kind of {censored} about it also. Like the cost of Gas? Why would anyone give a {censored} about the cost of of Gas for a Caddy. If you are not the one paying for it? Winter I do the Cherokee thing though.

As far as the cost of guitars? I think there come's a point in your playing where you have the desire for a better built, playing/sounding guitar. Fact is most of those also carry a high price tag? Regardless of what it is, be it a Gibson, Fender, PRS, or whatever.

• Members

Master Built CS Strats are a very very well built Strat. Don't kid yourself thinking a American Serie's is anywhere in the same league. And when you say a 1000. dollar Strat? That to me is what a $1000. dollar Strat is.

I have seen Signature models that were very very well built Strats though. But they are few and far between also. The EJ's are pretty consistant though. And the only Production line with a Quarter Sawn neck?

I'm not saying my guitar doesn't have a few drips on the finish. And I'm sure it didn't get as much hands on time, and not from the senior builder at the plant. My Fender Deluxe American, after hours of tweaking anyway, is made of fine parts, and feels and sound as good as any $2000+ guitar I've ever touched!! Maybe I'm lucky, but The only difference I see is in the cosmetics and the prestige of ownership. Sure I'd love to be able to buy a custom made strat, to my specs, but I would have to be far beyond my current financial status to justify doing so. I think what most of us are trying to say that a fine playing instrument can be had for under $1000, you just have to try a little harder. A $3000 dollar guitar will probably be supernice no matter where you buy it, it better be, but it won't be $2000 better functionally. I don't need super polished frets, and a flawless finish on super high grade wood so know how to rock! And if you deny that the name plays a part in the price then you must have really bad GAS.

• Members

BTW it will still be 2-point though. The Bridge on the Classic Player 60. Which is a 2-point CS bridge, is the design Fender is going with. And its also the best Fender bridge I have EVER played. With the 6-point Vintage being second.

You've confused me. First you imply that the two point trem is crap and that you're glad Fender is going back to the vintage trems. Then you say that the two point is the best you've ever played.:confused:

• Members

You've confused me. First you imply that the two point trem is crap and that you're glad Fender is going back to the vintage trems. Then you say that the two point is the best you've ever played.
:confused:

Never said 2-point Trems are crap. I said the AS Trem is a terrible design. I like the fact its a 2-point trem, I don't like the powderd steel saddles and lack of rolled steel underneath.

Look at the underneath of a AS Trem compared to a American Vintage Trem?

• Members

I'm not debating if you could find a very good guitar for a good price. Xaviere will give you a Tonally great sounding guitar for $159. dollars?

What I am saying is many players easily justify paying what they do for a 5G Strat. And there are many reasons in quality why those particular guitars cost what they do. Just as there is with Gibsons CS electrics.

• Moderators

Diminishing returns on Strats comes at a very low price. The best Strat YOU can get, is the one YOU build from selected parts yourself, as the essence of a Strat is having the neck profile YOU like, with the fret size and material you like on the fretboard material YOU most prefer, attached to the body colour and material YOU like with the vibrato YOU like and all topped off with the pickups YOU most prefer, lying underneath YOUR favourite strings which are secured and tuned using YOUR favourite tuners. Once you are familiar with Strats and indeed Teles, nobody can build a better one for YOU....than YOU:thu:

Archived