Opinions -Reverend Manta Ray or PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow

kmarsh

• Members

I posted this question on the TGP forum, but didn't get much feedback yet...

For some reason I just didn't bond with the Ibanez AS-73 I had, so I sold it and am now missing a semi-hollow. I'm trying to narrow the field a bit and THINK I'm down to these two as my top contenders. Has anybody here played both of these guitars??? I'm looking for something smaller than a standard 335 size, so I THINK the Reverend might be a bit "big", but I haven't seen one locally. I've heard the PRS SE Semi is a bit smaller but, again, haven't found one locally.

Specifically, I'm interested in whether one of these is clearly better/easier to get a low, buzz-free action... and, I'm interested in whether one has a more resonant, "really semi / full hollow" sound. I know a fair amount of semis don't really sound much different than a solid body. I already have a Strat and an LP (clone), so I'm looking for something a bit different to round out my small collection.

Any sage advice aside from "play both"??? - which I'm TRYING to do, but haven't yet see either of them locally (Danbury, CT).

• Members

I have a PRS Singlecut SE.

If you like the necks on the SEs....then they're definately worth it.

I've got very low action and great playability. Along with great workmanship and a BEAUTIFUL flamed top. :love:

I played the reverends, but wasn't impressed......not that they're bad.

• Members

I've also been really intrigued with the Manta Ray P90 and the Custom SH. I have an SE Soapbar II that I really love and it's my main workhorse. Great playing neck, great tones, solid feel. How much are the Ray and SH going for?

I THINK the going rate for a Manta Ray used to be $700, but I see a few places have them for $599 now. The PRS SE Semi was typically $599 too, but one place said the 2008 prices are a little higher and now it'll be $625.

• Members

all i know is that i get a little wet spot in my pants when i look at the manta ray ;~)

Time to change your pants again Leopardstar :eek:

MantaRayHBp1.jpg

Now I cannot say that I've played both. But I did play a number of Epi's and a couple of Gibsons and I liked the Manta ray much better (though in the case of the Gibsons it might be because there was an extra digit in the price :mad:). My Manta is as nice a guitar as I have every played and the neck is just dreamy :love:

• Members

Time to change your pants again Leopardstar
:eek:

MantaRayHBp1.jpg

Now I cannot say that I've played both. But I did play a number of Epi's and a couple of Gibsons and I liked the Manta ray much better (though in the case of the Gibsons it might be because there was an extra digit in the price
:mad:
). My Manta is as nice a guitar as I have every played and the neck is just dreamy
:love:

:lol::lol::lol:

those are beautiful, no doubt.

i'll probly end up with a dean sarasota tho...depends on the ol' lady and the tax refund

Archived